Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
truant70
Punch Card
Views: 2,722
Message 41 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

Some more observations today. I thought I could get the problem to go away by just restarting browsers, not the machine. It improves the problem a bit, but eventually I needed to reboot the machine.

Frogybloop
Punch Card
Views: 2,686
Message 42 of 308

If anyone with a 2017 X1 carbon does NOT have this issue and reads this thread, could you please post here and let us know? It would be helpful to know if this is just some of us or if all new versions are effected. It will help people decide if its worth calling in for a replacement, or if its just a matter of waiting for a sofware fix.

Laundoner
Punch Card
Views: 2,659
Message 43 of 308

Right, this needs the test of time, but it is working so far.

Something for you to try on Windows Settings, Mouse & Touchpad:

1. ...delay before tap works: No delay (always on)

Optional settings, which I applied in desperation and I won't touch for a few days if this holds. You may skip and see if it works without making them:

1. Click on Additional mouse options at the bottom of the options screen
  2. Click on the Advanced Settings button
  3. Move the slider all the way to the left on Touch Activation Threshold and on Palm Check Threshold

If you guys try and let us know how you find it, or if you apply different settings, we will find out if it is a workaround until Lenovo fix this or if it is a temporary fluke.

It's going to cause some pain when typing if you accidentally touch the pad, but it is a far lesser inconvenience than the horrendous experience that is not having a responsive pad.

truant70
Punch Card
Views: 2,650
Message 44 of 308

I found having the "Touch activation threshold" all the way to the left was causing the 'mis fires', or accidentally clicking links when moving around a page.

I'm trying the first part of your solution now to see how it goes, but I guess what is not logical with this problem is how a reboot makes everything work as it should for a limited amount of time (for me about 20mins if I am lucky) and then the problem creeps in. I can't see how adjusting any settings will change that.

As it seems to be related to page loading, it's like a cache fills up causing touchpad problems, and then a reboot clears the cache.

Laundoner
Punch Card
Views: 2,645
Message 45 of 308

@truant70 wrote:

I'm trying the first part of your solution now to see how it goes, but I guess what is not logical with this problem is how a reboot makes everything work as it should for a limited amount of time (for me about 20mins if I am lucky) and then the problem creeps in. I can't see how adjusting any settings will change that.

As it seems to be related to page loading, it's like a cache fills up causing touchpad problems, and then a reboot clears the cache.

I agree that there is something wrong and a probable hardware or driver component. Rebooting the machine made no difference to me. Once the pad became intermittently unresponsive, it remained so for good, regardless of reboots. Only fiddling with drivers fixed for a while.

As I said, this is a workaround. Lenovo should come up with a permanent solution.

truant70
Punch Card
Views: 2,612
Message 46 of 308

I've found an interesting pattern of behavior.

A single finger moving on the touch pad normally moves the cursor, and 2 fingers is for scroll. When the cursor freezes, then TWO fingers will get the cursor moving as if it was just one finger but won't scroll, but THREE fingers scroll as if they were just 2.

Then it reverts back to normal mode (1 finger to move, 2 to scroll etc).

It's like the rules associated with 1, 2 or 3 fingers become 0,1,2 for some seconds, and then back again. Try that to confirm.

makingmark
SCSI Port
Views: 2,605
Message 47 of 308

Wow. Very interesting. That sounds likely to me from what I observed more subconsciously in my use. I will try! Thanks for taking the time it observe and report! 

Clap2rap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,598
Message 48 of 308

Yeah, I agree with truant70. Another pattern is that after it freezes, trying to move on the touch pad with a single finger for a while (rub the touchpad with a usual way one finger + annoyed mind) makes the cursor move as usual.
truant70
Punch Card
Views: 2,593
Message 49 of 308

@Clap2rap wrote:
Yeah, I agree with truant70. Another pattern is that after it freezes, trying to move on the touch pad with a single finger for a while (rub the touchpad with a usual way one finger + annoyed mind) makes the cursor move as usual.

It does eventually move again as usual but I feel this is unrelated to rubbing for a while and more related to the "brain fart" of the touchpad finishing and everything going back to normal - you just happend to be rubbing until it became normal again. What I'm saying is during that brain fart, the finger behavior rules become n + 1 until the brain fart stops.

Clap2rap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,589
Message 50 of 308

Then, the driver should be changed I think Smiley Happy
However, why the software becomes unusual on this new 5th gen laptop? I cannot understand it without saying that the hardware is changed on this 5th gen.
Top Kudoed Authors