cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Frogybloop
Punch Card
Posts: 25
Location: US
Views: 1,857
Message 51 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

This is the first time Lenovo is supporting the windows precision touchpad system. My best guess is they just didn't get the drivers quite right or the trackpoint synaptics system is somehow interfering.

truant70
Punch Card
Posts: 33
Location: NZ
Views: 1,855
Message 52 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue


@Frogybloop wrote:

This is the first time Lenovo is supporting the windows precision touchpad system. My best guess is they just didn't get the drivers quite right or the trackpoint synaptics system is somehow interfering.


That is how I feel. The last thing I want to do is get a replacement machine. As I mentioned earlier, any replacement machines being built right now probably have exactly the same problem - assuming it's software or firmware related.

 

But, the clock is ticking and if it is hardware, then I'd rather have a replacement than a repaired machine. Lenovo must know already if it's soft/firmware or hardware causing this.

makingmark
SCSI Port
Posts: 28
Location: US
Views: 1,822
Message 53 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue


@truant70 wrote:

I've found an interesting pattern of behavior.

 

A single finger moving on the touch pad normally moves the cursor, and 2 fingers is for scroll. When the cursor freezes, then TWO fingers will get the cursor moving as if it was just one finger but won't scroll, but THREE fingers scroll as if they were just 2.

 

Then it reverts back to normal mode (1 finger to move, 2 to scroll etc).

 

It's like the rules associated with 1, 2 or 3 fingers become 0,1,2 for some seconds, and then back again. Try that to confirm.


Confirmed. When the cursor freezes, two fingers act like one finger. Wasn't yet able to confirm the three as 2 but I'm sure it's true.

 

What's frustrating is no communication from Lenovo of any awareness of the problem. Probably it will take a number of people exchanging the laptop for them to wake up, even though it's also probably true that exchanging it won't fix the problem. 

truant70
Punch Card
Posts: 33
Location: NZ
Views: 1,817
Message 54 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue


@makingmark wrote:

@truant70 wrote:

I've found an interesting pattern of behavior.

 

A single finger moving on the touch pad normally moves the cursor, and 2 fingers is for scroll. When the cursor freezes, then TWO fingers will get the cursor moving as if it was just one finger but won't scroll, but THREE fingers scroll as if they were just 2.

 

Then it reverts back to normal mode (1 finger to move, 2 to scroll etc).

 

It's like the rules associated with 1, 2 or 3 fingers become 0,1,2 for some seconds, and then back again. Try that to confirm.


Confirmed. When the cursor freezes, two fingers act like one finger. Wasn't yet able to confirm the three as 2 but I'm sure it's true.

 

What's frustrating is no communication from Lenovo of any awareness of the problem. Probably it will take a number of people exchanging the laptop for them to wake up, even though it's also probably true that exchanging it won't fix the problem. 


OK, thanks for the confirmation. It seems like a stack error issue on the touchpad input, which should be resolved by updating touchpad firmware but more than likely an updated driver. I agree, if Lenovo come out with their own analysis of this and confirm it can be resolved by an updated driver, it will save them a lot of $$$ and their customers a lot of hassle. I'm happy to wait a bit if I know something is on it's way.

makingmark
SCSI Port
Posts: 28
Location: US
Views: 1,814
Message 55 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

I just now also witnessed the behavior with three fingers acting like 2.

truant70
Punch Card
Posts: 33
Location: NZ
Views: 1,810
Message 56 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue


@makingmark wrote:

I just now also witnessed the behavior with three fingers acting like 2.


Great. So it's likely to be some n + 1 error, not hardware. Good news.

Laundoner
Punch Card
Posts: 27
Location: GB
Views: 1,769
Message 57 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

In case anyone is interested in making lemonade with this lemon, this workaround seems to hold until Lenovo fix the problem: Windows Settings, Mouse & Touchpad: ...delay before tap works: No delay (always on).

 

I also created a Service Request with Lenovo. I'll keep you posted.

truant70
Punch Card
Posts: 33
Location: NZ
Views: 1,746
Message 58 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

I did the above, and also the following:

 

Settings>Mouse & Touchpad>Additional Mouse Settings>Advanced options>Thinkpad tab>Advanced settings>Advanced Tab and deselect "Edge tap filtering"

 

Mine has been running for hours without the degrading cursor issues. Chrome isn't as fast as Firefox, but there isn't a cumulative problem like before.

Frogybloop
Punch Card
Posts: 25
Location: US
Views: 1,737
Message 59 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue


@truant70 wrote:

I did the above, and also the following:

 

Settings>Mouse & Touchpad>Additional Mouse Settings>Advanced options>Thinkpad tab>Advanced settings>Advanced Tab and deselect "Edge tap filtering"

 

Mine has been running for hours without the degrading cursor issues. Chrome isn't as fast as Firefox, but there isn't a cumulative problem like before.


So I just saw these fixes and I currently had the issue. I changed the precision touch pad setting to no delay and it actually didn't change anything. Then I did this second option (Edge tap filtering) and it corrected the problem without a reboot! Im wondering if this might be the only issue? I set the windows PTP settings back to default and am going to see if I can get the problem to happen again. Fingers crossed we've found our smoking gun! Now if only Lenovo would read through their own forums.... :/

Clap2rap
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 21
Location: KR
Views: 1,729
Message 60 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

Oh my goodness! It's real. Disabling Edge tap filtering corrects this problem. I'll use this setting more and tell whether the problem is fixed.
Top Kudoed Authors