Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clap2rap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,548
Message 71 of 308

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue

After disabling Edge Tap Filtering, it is almost perfectly working. However, at some times both trackpoint and trackpad freeze a little bit when I use labtop for 4 or 5 hours. I know that the Chrome is not the issue, but the Chrome also freezes and restarts automatically. I still wonder why Lenovo doesn't talk about this issue.

+) At times, the cursor is located in the wrong place like edge of the screen, etc.

+) Sometimes when I move cursor with the trackpad, the cursor suddenly moves linearly like something is blocking the cursor above.

maz3max
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,526
Message 72 of 308

I also got these freezes for a few seconds.

Frogybloop
Punch Card
Views: 1,405
Message 73 of 308

I am also getting the strange hiccups and freezes as you both mention above. Just a small blip where he point would stop, or get stuck in a "horizontal only" movement position for a few seconds, but still for the most part just fine. Especially in comparison to how bad it was prior to changing the edge tap filtering....

So... I just recieved my replacement x1 that lenovo sent me. I tested it for a few hours with the stock drive, then moved over the drive from my other unit to this one. Multiple hours of use and I haven't been able to get the issue to happen again (yes I turned edge tap filtering back on). Maybe im jumping the gun a litle bit here by writing this, but this new unit feels great. No issues with the trackpad at all, and it even feels a little smoother and nicer than my other unit ever did, though I suppose it could be partly in my imagination.

If this is indeed the case, then it looks like perhaps this really is a hardware issue of some sort. I figured I'd tell people on here in case they wanted to call in and attempt a replacement like I did. I'll keep using it over the next few days and immediately report if I can get the issue to crop up, but fingers crossed I may be in the clear.

I also noticed that they just released a new trackpad driver on the support site, however there is no mention in the changelog of any fixes to the issues we've been experiencing in this forum. But you should all go give that a shot and see if it helps anyway.

Best of luck

makingmark
SCSI Port
Views: 1,400
Message 74 of 308

Thanks frogy for updating us. It has been my experience as well that disabling Edge Tap Filtering is very good, but still doesn't seem quite right. And based on your earlier post - I did as you did - I requested a product replacement. They did not give me any trouble about it. Mine is supposed to be here in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for alerting us to that option.
gr4z
Paper Tape
Views: 1,369
Message 75 of 308

I have downloaded the latest synaptics driver and it seems much better. Then in my travels found 'multiswipe'. Coming from a Macbook this is brilliant and just like BetterTouchTool for the Mac. I am using it on a 15 day trial but already I am going to pay for it, it's only $5.

Its brilliant, you can have loads of gestures for 2,3 4 or even 5 fingers and it seems to make the scrolling smoother. Worth a try guys.

Frogybloop
Punch Card
Views: 1,289
Message 76 of 308

Multiple days later and still no issue after getting a complete replacement. Seems like everyone having the issue on this thread must have gotten lemons. I would advise anyone who experiences this issue to contact lenovo for a replacement. I think its worth it too, this is  fantastic laptop.

Clap2rap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,239
Message 77 of 308

I want to replace it, but I don't know how to do it Smiley Sad

Tell me how can I replace this laptop please...

I need to backup my current disk because the data what I've wrote are important.

After a replacement, can I use current disk at the replaced laptop?

Frogybloop
Punch Card
Views: 1,232
Message 78 of 308

Call support and tell them you'd like a replacement. Then when it comes you can just swap your SSD over to the new system before sending your old one back. It's very simple, all you need is a Philips screwdriver

Clap2rap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,214
Message 79 of 308

Thank you for answering. However, the service policy of my country seems different from yours.
I need to go to the lenovo service center personally to get a replacement tag which is given only when the hardware defect of the laptop is discovered. Also, I must go there before passing 30 days from bought-date of this laptop, but I'm too busy to go there(quite far).
I decided to go to the center to get fixed later(impossible to replace it). Smiley Sad
Laundoner
Punch Card
Views: 1,204
Message 80 of 308

In the UK we get on-site warranty. I was offered a refund, but I did not want to be without my Carbon. Performance is amazingly good and for me it's the best laptop available in my country.

By the way, for me removing the delay before before tap worked fine for a whole week. But I seem to be the only one for whom this worked judging from the feedback, which would indicate that there are different faults at play here. I since re-enabled the delay before tap and disabled edge tap filtering, as the consensus from you lot seems to advise, and it also works fine. There is nothing missing by removing that functionality so, as far as I am concerned, I won't even call an engineer for a repair.

Top Kudoed Authors