Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

03-03-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 53
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2nd Gen unable to turn on

2021-05-16, 15:32 PM

Hi guys, my Thinkpad x1 Carbon 2nd recently got an issue that nothing happen or shows up when I press the power button, even the power button is not on when I pressed it without the power charger.

So I connected the power adaptor to the laptop, and the power button is now on, but still nothing shows up (the screen is black, no sound, etc) when I pressed the power botton.

Any idea? Thanks in advance

Options

6 Posts

05-14-2021

Germany

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2nd Gen unable to turn on

2021-05-16, 16:17 PM

I don't know if you have this issue, but I had the exact same one too. It didn't want to turn on at all at first. After leaving it to charge for a while I was eventually able to turn it on. (Without removing the charger)

It turned out that my battery was in a bad condition and the device basically wouldn't work at all without connecting it to the power... Unfortunately that is still the only way I am able to use my computer because I still haven't done anything about it (I only need it at home and don't mind plugging it in).

I would recommend going to the nearest shop though. If battery is the case, they will recommend replacing it. 

Options

4651 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12886 Signins

188916 Page Views

• Views: 188916
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-05-16, 17:04 PM

There's an emergency reset hole on the bottom of the unit. From the User Guide, "If the computer stops responding and you cannot turn it off by pressing the power button, remove the AC power adapter and insert a straightened paper clip into the emergency reset hole to reset the computer." I realize it says if the system won't turn off. Try it anyway.

If that doesn't resolve the issue then as @Introvert007 suggests, it could be a dead battery or some other hardware issue.

P.S. The Hardware Maintenance Manual, pp. 26-27:

Power system checkout
To verify if a battery and an an power adapter are functional, do the following:
1. Turn off the computer.
2. Connect the ac power adapter.
3. Turn on the computer. If the computer can be turned on, it means that either the battery or the ac power adapter is functional.
4. Insert a straightened paper clip into the emergency reset hole to reset the computer. If the computer is still powered on, it means that the ac power adapter is functional.
5. Turn off the computer.
6. Disconnect the ac adapter and turn on the computer. If the computer can be turned on, it means the battery is functional.

If you suspect a power problem, see the appropriate one of the following power supply checkouts:
• “Checking the ac power adapter” on page 26
• “Checking the battery and operational charging” on page 27
• “Checking the coin-cell battery” on page 27

My comments are mine. I don't work for or speak for Lenovo.
Please do not send me PMs. Ask your question on this forum so that everyone can respond or learn.

Options

6 Posts

03-03-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 53
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-05-18, 8:53 AM

Thanks for your reply, I've tried that, charged for a few hours, but the issue is still there. I will bring the laptop to a shop probably. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms