Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itb2k13
Paper Tape
Views: 5,849
Message 1 of 12

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen black screen / screen off on resume from sleep

Hi

Issue: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen black screen / 'screen off' on resume from sleep

I know this issue has been posted about several times regarding the X1 series but .... none of those threads seem to have any kind of answer to this problem. This seems like quite a horrendous issue for a +£1500 to have !! Constantly 'hard rebooting' and losing all my open work is seriously seriously annoying.

Please note: My drivers are 100% up to date based on Lenovo's own update software. I have all official Windows 10 updates issued to date (21 aug 17).

These are the patterns I've noticed:

- It doesn't always replicate the same behaviour: after resume from sleep sometimes it's 'black' and other times it's fine. I'd say 66% of the 'lid openings' it's OK but 33% of cases it's not.

- I've found that if I shut the lid again and reopen (often 3 or more times and waiting 30+ seconds on each open then 30+ seconds on each close) then I can eventually 'force' it to turn the screen on.

- If I 'manually' set the unit to sleep from the start menu rather than just closing the lid, I'm pretty certain that it *does not* exhibit this problem. I'll be 100% certain once I've tried this a few more times.

-  I've removed all USB devices from the laptop one-by-one and waited for the problem to reoccur thus ruling out any single or combination of USB devices.

- I have the 'lock screen' shown when it does successfully resume from sleep. 

- The screen 'blackness' looks to me as if it's genuinely 'off' rather than 'on but showing the color black'.

- I've tried pressing all the lenovo funcitional keys whilst the 'black screen' is showing, to no avail. Hoping that maybe it had switched to the alternative display port or something.

- I do not have the Lenovo 'easy resume' enabled. I'm aware of this feature but.. all it really does is prevent the device from entering sleep immediately after the lid is closed. This just means it gets warm in my bag - not ideal! I also experimented with this feature and the unit exhibits the same black screen behaviour whether the 'easy resume' is enabled or not.

- I do not believe this is a hardware fault. It's not that the screen flickers or 'cuts out' as such - I believe its a software issue essenitally "forgetting" to wake up the screen.

- Other than annoying 'coil whine' the unit exhibits no other unusual or broken behaviour.

Many thanks for any ideas or suggestions !!

Regards

Stephen

spiral528
Paper Tape
Views: 5,723
Message 2 of 12

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen black screen / screen off on resume from sleep

I have the exact same issue. My unit is only a week old with the WQHD screen. I experienced this at least 3 times - it seems to occur only after the unit has been sleeping for a while. Not if you sleep and attempt to wake right away.  

orokach
What's DOS?
Views: 5,688
Message 3 of 12

Glad to know i am not alone in the world.

i have this problem too. Veyr annoying . i have switched to hibrantae to workaround

have anyone from lenovo replied?

Highlighted
rl2
Serial Port
Views: 5,633
Message 4 of 12

Wanted to just chime in.  I have a Thinkpad X1 Yoga (first gen) that I purchased last year and am also having this problem.  I think it only started in the last 1-2 months after I downloaded and installed some updates recommended by the Lenovo Companion app.  This is a very annoying problem!  Especially for a laptop this pricey!  The only way to resolve the issue is to perform a hard shutdown (by holding the power button) and then powering the system back up.  I then of course lose any unsaved work in any open apps, all my tabs, etc.

There is a slight variation though to my issue.  My X1 Yoga displays a black screen sometimes when I just close and open the lid.  I have my laptop set up to not sleep upon lid closure.

I wanted to ask the other folks on this thread facing this "blank screen" issue.  Does it only happen for you guys coming out of sleep mode?  Or are you able to replicate the blank screen problem by just closing and opening the lid?  Again, my own experiences are similar to the OP.  Though I would say my screen only properly turns on 50/50 of the time.

lenanto
SCSI Port
Views: 5,623
Message 5 of 12

Hi all,

I have made a thread about this exact issue here:

X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga do not wake up after sleep mode -- issue continues across thinkpad generations - ...

In that thread is a compilation of this issue taking place not just on the X1 Carbon 5th gen and X1 Yoga 2nd gen, but also from the past. That thread has 1500 views, and dozens of people responding with the same issue. Some there have reported some solutions that have worked for them.

But no response from Lenovo at all, not even just a simple acknowledgement that this is even an issue... One technician did respond to one of the myriad of other older threads but then seems to have given up after not being able to reproduce the issue.

For me this issue started immediately from opening the laptop. While the phone technician said it was a "faulty motherboard", he also offered a refund as "dead on arrival" and I got rid of it in a heartbeat -- I'm not spending $1500 on a faulty machine out of the box. But it is clear from all these users that this is NOT some one-off issue.

The whole point of a laptop is for it to be portable, and so this issue makes this computer absolutely useless in this respect.

If you are not within the free return window, take a look at the above post for some potential unorthodox solutions.

Good luck!

spiral528
Paper Tape
Views: 5,611
Message 6 of 12

Hey lenato, thanks for replying. I have read your thread also after seeing this one.  

I opened a support case yesterday, and as others described the rep advised to replace the motherboard and was not interested when I mentioned these forum threads. They are planning to send a tech to do the 'repair' once the new board comes in (fortunately I opted for the on-site service).  

I am still skeptical this is the correct fix for the issue. Someone in the other thread mentioned that doing a clean install from the standard Win 10 ISO eliminated the issue, so I am considering attempting that over the weekend.

rl2 - I briefly set the screen close action to 'do nothing', but I could not replicate the issue. However the issue is hard to replicate on demand in general. Sometimes sleep works fine for a while but ultimately the issue always comes back at some point and the system crashes. 

spiral528
Paper Tape
Views: 5,558
Message 7 of 12

After considering that the mobo replacement is not a definite solution, and I don't want to risk the structural integrity of my new machine to a tech support surgery, I decided to request a replacement machine. Tech support was difficult about this but finally I reached Sales support and they allowed me to do so with no problems since it's within the first 30 days.  

Overall it's a very frustrating experience; I see why lenovo has a bad repuation for support. Their support & tracking systems are also garbage, with email links not working, GUIs from the 1990's etc. I completely understand why people pay a premium for apple products.  

The system itself still seems like one of the best mobile PCs out there so I'm giving it another shot, hoping to get one that works. If you're in this situation and outside the return window, I'd try a fresh Win10 install. I hope one day Lenovo will acknowlege and do something about this seemingly widespread issue.

lenanto
SCSI Port
Views: 5,476
Message 8 of 12

Hey @sprial528, did the replacement motherboard solve the issue for you?

spiral528
Paper Tape
Views: 5,436
Message 9 of 12

I didn't elect to follow through with the mobo replacement like I mentioned above. I requested a replacement laptop since I was within the first 30 days; it's supposed to arrive by tomorrow. 

I found this thread where people were reporting the same symptons under Linux: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1708043

The last proposed solution there said to enable Wake on LAN in the BIOS. I tried that and haven't encountered the black screen in 3 days so far.

vx_it
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,704
Message 10 of 12

I'm also having this issue on a brand new X15G with Windows 10 Pro 1709 with all latest updates. Very frustrating as there's no solution out there and no official word from Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors