Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TBSDennis
What's DOS?
Views: 564
Message 11 of 12

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen black screen / screen off on resume from sleep

Same here, brand new X1 Gen5. Same problem... after about 20 minutes the computer hibernates itself. Try to turn it on, power light solid green, screen off. The mic and speaker mute buttons still work though. I can toggle the LED in the keys on and off however no CPU fan is spinning. I haven't bene able to get it out of this state without a forceful shutdown. I called Lenovo tech support and they said I have to reformat the machine. Did ZERO troubleshooting. Just told me to format it.

jhedman2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 148
Message 12 of 12

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen black screen / screen off on resume from sleep

I know this post is pretty old, but i'm still curious if anyone has found some sort of resolution.  I have an X15G with the WQHD and mine experiences this issue probably about 15-20% of the time I open this unit after sleeping.  Doesn't matter if it's manually enabled or happens on it's own, doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not, etc.  Mine is completely updated, firmware, drivers, win10.

I will say that in my case, it's kind of a game now, when I open this thing, if it's a blank screen, I try to trick it.  The best way I've been able to fix it, is to hold the laptop vertically, with the openning side up.  I crack it about half an inch, watch the backlight LED's come on, watch the screen flash once and go away to black.  Close it, and repeat.  Sometimes if i do it super fast, about the 10th time the screen image will appear and stay, voila.  I can go back to work.

To me, this is 100% a software issue, the laptop has physically detected the openning of the screen, as it's ALWAYS turning on the backlight LED's on the screen.  I've been a Think fan my whole career, but this is annoying.  Sounds like they should stop wasting money on MB replacements and devote that money to better drivers/software.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors