cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TTdAmage
Paper Tape
Views: 900
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th - Left USB only working partially HELP!

Hi. I've been having X1 carbon 5th gen for a few months and have been satisfied with it.

But today I found out that the USB port located on left side is not working properly.

Here are the symptoms:

- USB storage such as USB sticks or portable HDD work fine, and data get transferred normally.

- It also charges smartphones and other devices that can be charged by USB.

- It does not detect corded inputs such as external keypad, mouse, and, keyboard. The USB port located on right side works perfectly.

I find it to be really weird with this problem. Input devices do not work at all when USB storages work just fine.

I have tried reinstalling Windows fully, installed all the latest updates including the latest BIOS, have set the BIOS settings to default, and nothing worked.  I'm curious if it could be some driver or BIOS driver issue or pure hardware defect.

Has anyone experienced this? If there are other things I could try before sending it for repair please let me know.

Thank you!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 881
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th - Left USB only working partially HELP!

Try hooking a powered hub to the port.  If that "fixes" it, it's likely a power problem

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TTdAmage
Paper Tape
Views: 862
Message 3 of 10

I do not have a powered hub. So I can't really test it. But I have a USB hub that does not have power connection, and it does not work on the port. Does it indicate anything?
rmlunag
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 418
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

I actually have the same problem.
I've been with the left usb port for a month now without proper operation.
what was the solution lenovo delivered?
I need to connect external devices

psomero
What's DOS?
Views: 366
Message 5 of 10

I am having same problem.  Read somewhere to try unplugging battery and holding down power button to fully turn off machine, didn't help.

Have checked drivers for xhci USB3 in device manager, windows update says latest installed.

USB flash drives will work, mice, HID's and other stuff won't.  Only the left USB-A port, 5th gen X1 20HR-006SUS

drrossum
Blue Screen Again
Views: 125
Message 6 of 10

What has been the solution to this problem for you guys? Did you RMA the laptop and did Lenovo replace the mainboard?

I seem to be having the same issue with my left USB-A port on a X1 20HR model.

Thanks for helping out!
rmlunag
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 116
Message 7 of 10

Hi,

Lenovo Support Service replace the mainboard.

If the problem is on the USB right port, they can replace just a single piece.

I have a X1 20HR too.

Regards.

drrossum
Blue Screen Again
Views: 103
Message 8 of 10

Thanks a lot for the info, rmlunag!
drrossum
Blue Screen Again
Views: 66
Message 9 of 10

For others running into the same issue, here is what happened to me: 1. look up S/N on the Lenovo website: my laptop was still under on-site warranty 3. Call Lenovo customer service 4. Explain that the left USB port is broken and ask for on-site repair 5. Service representative sends out a new mainboard to a local technician, which arrived the next day 6. Two days later, the technician calls me for an appointment on the same day 7. Technician comes in, takes the old mainboard out, puts the new mainboard in 8. Voila! The port is working again It was a great customer service experience for me!
BWeeks
Paper Tape
Views: 62
Message 10 of 10

This is a problem with the Thunderbolt Firmware. My organization has sent about 30 of these back to Lenovo and everytime they have replaced the motherboard. We sent a few units to the Engineers in North Carolina, and they stated it is a FW issue, they have no eta on a update/fix. Some units will lose charging capability all together, these need the board replaced. On the units that still can charge, we have had some luck with doing the bios and intel fw updates through system updater, and it seems to fix the ports not working. It is very random with when it works and when it doesnt.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors