Options

9 Posts

11-30-2019

NP

21 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177
  • Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th gen charging very slowly!

2019-11-30, 10:24 AM

My 2 year old Thinkpad X1C5 is charging very slowly, around 4-5 hours for a full charge whereas earlier it took only about an hour to hour and half. If this change would have been gradual i would have assumed it might be due to aging issues but this started all of a sudden in October last week and if i remember correctly after a windows system update. It started with a notification that said my USB C charging port was not plugged in properly or something like that. Since then I am not getting the notification but the issue still persists. So far I have tried following to resolve this but with no success.

• I have tried to restore system to an earlier point.

• I have tried different USB C port to charge.
  • I have performed a complete hardware scan of system using Lenovo Vantage, everything shows up as fine. Lenovo Vantage shows the battery health to be in good condition.

• I have completely reset the system, formatting the hard drive.

• I have installed all available system updates available through Lenovo Vantage.

• I followed the article Critical Intel Thunderbolt Software and Firmware Updates - ThinkPad on Lenovo PC Support site and and installed the drivers as per instructions and firmware updates.

• Tried searching web extensively if anyone else is also facing any similar issues, and if yes how they have resolved this.

Would appreciate much if someone can help me with this.

Options

9 Posts

11-30-2019

NP

21 Signins

177 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th gen charging very slowly!

2019-12-02, 17:56 PM

On further research this seems to be related to some issue with thunderbolt. Mnay posts related to thunderbold issues have been added in last few days. Also for me the issue came up during last week of October and there was an update to "Critical Intel Thunderbolt Software and Firmware Updates - ThinkPad" article on 5th November 2019. Also the BIOS update on 15th November 2019 mentions "issues related to thunderbolt are fixed" without exactly mentioning what issues. Currently no thundebolt device are showing up in my device manager. I tried to search for causes/solution to that. One solution I found was tomanually uninstall Thunderbolt software from Control Panel and reinstall the thunderbolt software and when i did that Thunderbolt device showed up in device manager, but once i rebooted the system the Thunderbolt device went missing from the device manager. On running the command .\FwUpdateCmd.exe GetCurrentNvmVersion "$(.\FwUpdateCmd.exe EnumControllers)" in Powershell I am getting message "No active Thunderbolt(TM) controller found in the system or Thunderbolt(TM) software is not present in the system. Make sure you have Thunderbolt(TM) software installed. Then connect Thunderbolt(TM) device and retry."

One another user was facing simillar issue and he got his device's motherboard change. I cannot afford a motherboard change right now. Hopefully this is resolved via a software update soon.

Options

1815 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Views: 10126
  • Message 3 of 9

2019-12-03, 16:14 PM

Hi masakkkali! What version of Windows 10 is currently running on your computer? We can see here that the machine is compatible with Windows 10 1909 version and you can check it here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/pa/en/solutions/ht509394. Before installing the Windows updates, run the update through the Vantage app and install available updates.

If the issue still persists, run the hardware test from the Vantage app to check for hardware failures. Let us know how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

9 Posts

11-30-2019

NP

21 Signins

177 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2019-12-04, 9:24 AM

As mentioned in my original post, I have checked for updates both via Windows Updates nd Lenovo Vantage. All updates are installed. I have also ran the hardware scan from Lenovo Vantage as well as the start up boot menu. Hardware results are all fine. My current windows version is 1903. I am very much sure this has got something to do with software updates i received and installed in October last week.

Options

1815 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2019-12-04, 21:51 PM

Just to make sure, is it a windows update or a driver update? Can you type msinfo32 on the search box and send to us the complete information of your machine so we could check? Let us know. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

9 Posts

11-30-2019

NP

21 Signins

177 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2019-12-05, 6:48 AM

Attached sysytem info.

Options

9 Posts

11-30-2019

NP

21 Signins

177 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2019-12-05, 6:56 AM

Also on searching for thunderbolt in system info, if ound this particular service nt started and set to manual start. However in services I am not able to find and start the service with given name.

Options

1815 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2019-12-09, 14:58 PM

We can see here that the computer is compatible with Windows 10 1909 version: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht509394. Try to install the latest windows update but before proceeding, try running the update from the Vantage app. Install all of the available updates before proceeding with Windows 10 1909 version. Let us know how it goes. 

Options

9 Posts

11-30-2019

NP

21 Signins

177 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2019-12-14, 14:16 PM

Hi, I've updated everything. Windows is now 1909. Still same problem persists. My main concern is the charging time, earlier it only took 1-1.5 hrs but now about 3-3.5 hrs. Please help me resolve this.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save