Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turnersauce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 117
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th gen unresponsive

I have a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th gen 20HR,  17 months old (so unfortunately out of warranty).

While using my laptop on a flight (for reading a PDF, nothing particularly intensive) it suddenly shutdown and became completely unresponsive -- no lights would come on when I pressed the power button. When I returned home I tried charging it, but the charging light would not come on.

I tried a couple of suggestions form the forums, including:

• pressing the reset button
  • removing the main & CMOS battery and pressing the power button multiple times

However, it remains completely unresponsive. I've created a service request with Lenovo, but I am fearing the worst: an expensive motherboard replacement. Is there anything else I can try in the meantime? 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 60
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th gen unresponsive

Hi Turnersauce! Let's try power cycle by holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds while the device is unplugged from the wall outlet. If the issue persist, try using a different charger or try plugging it from a different outlet.

Another option for you If the issue is the motherboard, you can get the compatible part number from this link: https://lnv.gy/2J91Gq3. Please refer to the photo below. You can buy the part online or locally and have a third party tech install it for you. This will reduce the repair expense. Hope that helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

turnersauce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 44
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th gen unresponsive

Hi Jwes, thanks for your answer. In the meantime I've sent my laptop to a Lenovo service center and they determined that indeed the system board requires replacement, with the cost for the part being 650 euros (before VAT). I hope there is no next time, but if there is I will go through the third-party route that you suggest.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors