Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jakerg23
Paper Tape
Views: 286
Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen - Will not wake up from sleep/hibernation

When left alone, my Thinkpad will eventually go into sleep mode or hibernation mode and will not wake back up. The power light slowly flashes on and off, and the only way to get the machine working again is to long-press the power button, then power back on. This is obviously very frustrating, and constantly causes me to lose work.

This issue has been happening since January or February. I've done every required and optional update on BIOS, Windows Update, and sleep button drivers. What else can I do to resolve this issue? 

jakerg23
Paper Tape
Views: 227
Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen - Will not wake up from sleep/hibernation

This issue is still going on after disabling many settings, including "Auto on USB", and this even persists after swapping around the BIOS sleep mode from Windows 10 to Linux, and then back.

Any ideas on this one?

CarbonUser
Punch Card
Views: 211
Message 3 of 8

@jakerg23 wrote:

This issue is still going on after disabling many settings, including "Auto on USB", and this even persists after swapping around the BIOS sleep mode from Windows 10 to Linux, and then back.

Any ideas on this one?

I had a Dell XPS that would have an issue when it went to sleep, it would crash and power cycle the laptop. i tried changing all sorts of settings, but it didn't go away until I formatted and re-installed Windows 10. It may be the way Windows is putting data into memory when it is going into sleep.

jakerg23
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 4 of 8

Here's another interesting thing: this happens in about 15 minutes of inactivity, even while plugged in, while sleep and hibernate while plugged in should not happen until 2 hours per the settings in windows. I need to actually time this to see if it is 15 minutes (and not 20 or something like that)

jakerg23
Paper Tape
Views: 159
Message 5 of 8

I'm going to bump this up. This issue is very frustrating, has been happening for 6 months despite me trying a number of things (including setting my machine back to factory settings) with no luck. 

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 149
Message 6 of 8

Hello,

What happens if you press the Fn (or Esc & Fn) button(s) and then wait a few seconds when it is in the state you describe in your opening post please?

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

forumite
What's DOS?
Views: 97
Message 7 of 8

I have an X1 5th gen which started doing the same thing after I updated from Windows 10 1803 to the new 1903 version.

Worse, mine would even shut down around 15 minutes after just locking the screen, even though I'd disabled the standby timer!

I checked Windows Event Viewer and found errors that seemed to point to the Intel graphics driver so I tried updating/reinstalling that but it didn't help.

What events are occurring when yours shuts down?

Mine was shutting down so often that I decided to do a clean install of 1903 and only use Lenovo Vantage to install drivers/update any relevant firmware but it would still crash while sleeping. In fact, I would often get a blue screen error when Lenovo Vantage was checking for new drivers. It was always around 90% progress, and always with the same error:

DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

This was a 100% clean installation of Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 1903 with no extra software or drivers installed.

What's weird is the laptop is certified for Windows 10 1903.

I gave up with 1903, formatted and did a clean install of 1809. I know 1809 had a bunch of problems but it's been running perfectly for ten days.

jakerg23
Paper Tape
Views: 82
Message 8 of 8

1. The fn or fn+esc buttons didn't have any effect at all when the laptop is in the black screen / unresponsive power-light-slow-flash mode.

2.  I wonder if 19.03 is the same issue for me. This didn't happen for the first 6 or 7 months I owned the laptop. I believe it started after running either Windows Updates or Lenovo Vantage updates, but I don't have hard evidence of the exact timing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors