Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BrianST
Serial Port
Views: 3,057
Message 1 of 19

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th wont boot after SSD firmware upgrade

I just performed the Solid State Firmware upgrade as suggested by Lenovo Vantage. After restart the system won't post. I can choose to run the bios setup utility but that loads extremely slow. The laptop was plugged in AC when updating, I am on the BIOS 1.27. The drive was not encrypted

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,026
Message 2 of 19

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th wont boot after SSD firmware upgrade

Reference this post:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and/X1-Tablet-Gen-2-FWNV22-SSD-firmware-update...

A call to the support center would be suggested.

BrianST
Serial Port
Views: 2,979
Message 3 of 19

The call has been put in, thanks!
CarbonLaptop
What's DOS?
Views: 2,871
Message 4 of 19

I have the same issue with a 5th gen X1 Carbon.  Support were very dismissive of the issue and suggested I replace the drive.  Lenovo support dropping the ball with their standards on this issue.

How did you get on?

BrianST
Serial Port
Views: 2,770
Message 5 of 19

Placed the call on saturday, a Lenovo engineer replaced the SSD today and I got a Samsung Evo as well!
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,742
Message 6 of 19

EDIT - I believe we have recovered all of the drives that were bricked by the bad firmware update during August 1-4, 2018.  If you started seeing a 2100 error after August 4, the problem is something different.  Please use your warranty and contact Lenovo to request a drive replacement.

All,

We are very sorry for this SSD firmware update problem.  We confirmed that we are able to recover the drive and make it work again, but this process has to be done in our lab because special hardware is needed to do the recovery.  All of the data on the drive is still there, it's just a firmware bug which makes the drive not boot up, so then the PC is not able to access the drive.

If you still have the non-functional drive, and want to get the drive working again, please send me a private message with the following information:

1.  Your full name (first and last)

2.  Your e-mail address

3.  Your location (e.g., city/state/country)

4.  Your PC model number and serial number.  This can be found on the barcode sticker on the bottom of your PC (sometimes, under the battery) or in BIOS setup.

We are still working out the details of how this process will work, but I've been asked to collect this information from our customers who need to recover their drives.

If you don't need to recover the drive, then you can just request warranty service and they should be able to replace the drive with a new one.

Again, we are sorry for this trouble.

myusrn
Serial Port
Views: 2,717
Message 7 of 19

Hi @someotherguy, myself and another person are experiencing something similar arising but with x1 carbon 2nd gen devices with latest v1.35 uefi bios in place. 

See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-X1-Carbon-2nd-gen-Won-t-POST-or-boot-a... .

Any suggestsions

alee1979
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,552
Message 8 of 19

Hi,

I had a ticket open for a similar issue.  My X1 Carbon will not take the updated firmware.

My ticket number is 406RMR7.  I got disconnected.  Please have someone call me back.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,548
Message 9 of 19

@alee1979 wrote:

Hi,

I had a ticket open for a similar issue.  My X1 Carbon will not take the updated firmware.

My ticket number is 406RMR7.  I got disconnected.  Please have someone call me back.

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by "will not take the updated firmware"?  Do you get some kind of error message (if so, please provide details)?  Can your PC still boot?

alee1979
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,546
Message 10 of 19

The firmware failed to install.  It reset the computer but the screen stayed black for 30 mins before I powered the computer off and powered it back on.  Luckily, it does turn on.  I've tried to install it in safe mode, but without success.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors