Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-28-2017

Sweden

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 5 not charging.

2021-06-04, 18:17 PM

My Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 5 that's worked perfectly for a number of years stopped charging the battery the other week for no apparent reason.

Thinking the battery might be dead, I ordered a new one that lets me power up the computer, but the new battery doesn't charge either.
When I plug in the charger, the charging LED lights up for a second but then turns off.

This, as well as the fact that the computer powers on after I disable the internal battery in the BIOS, tells me the there's something going in through the USB-C port at least.
If I unplug the battery but plug in the AC adapter, the computer doesn't turn on.

Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions for a fix?
I've found suggestions about pressing the reset button as well as unplugging the AC adapter and the battery and letting it sit for a couple of hours, but that doesn't have any effect.

Options

91 Posts

07-15-2018

United States of America

205 Signins

1481 Page Views

• Views: 1481
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 5 not charging.

2021-06-05, 3:58 AM

Experienced the exact same thing before when my X1 was only 1 week old, when I accidently drained the battery to zero capacity. I did almost everything but nothing worked.

What I did to wake it up is:  first boot into bios, under power, turn off internal battery, then reboot it with usb c power connected. 

By Lenovo definition when reboot with usb c power connected the computer will automatically turn on internal battery. At this moment I saw windows showed it was charging.

@ Akegata wrote:

My Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 5 that' worked perfectly for a number of years stopped charging the battery the other week for no apparent reason.

Thinking the battery might be dead, I ordered a new one that lets me power up the computer, but the new battery doesn' charge either.
When I plug in the charger, the charging LED lights up for a second but then turns off.

This, as well as the fact that the computer powers on after I disable the internal battery in the BIOS, tells me the there' something going in through the USB-C port at least.
If I unplug the battery but plug in the AC adapter, the computer doesn' turn on.

Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions for a fix?
I' found suggestions about pressing the reset button as well as unplugging the AC adapter and the battery and letting it sit for a couple of hours, but that doesn' have any effect.

Options

4 Posts

05-28-2017

Sweden

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-06-06, 18:07 PM

Unfortunately that does not solve my issue. I have already tried disabling the internal battery with the new battery installed, but it won't start charging after doing that.
I couldn't even get into the BIOS with the old battery since it doesn't seem to accept the charge from the power brick and doesn't boot up at all without a charged battery.

I've tried two different power adapters as well, both give the same result.

Options

4 Posts

07-01-2021

India

2 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-07-01, 16:48 PM

Hi Akegata,

I have the same. I am curious if your problem was solved. If yes, could you share what you did?

Options

3219 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

257 Signins

16285 Page Views

• Views: 16285
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-07-01, 18:09 PM

Hello everyone,

Greetings

Kindly try the suggested troubleshooting steps for battery issues from this link:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-type-20hr-20hq/20hq/solutions/ht080185-troubleshooting-battery-issues-thinkpad

You may also see this related topic from the forums:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-5th-Gen-Battery-Won-t-Charge/m-p/3719785

Hope this helps.
Stay safe everyone.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms