Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryandbi
SCSI Port
Views: 13,106
Message 1 of 35

Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen6 and issues with Thunderbolt 3 dock

We purchased a new X1 Carbon 6th Gen with the new Thunderbolt 3 Dock Win 10 1803 and have had all kinds of problems. Bad enough to consider other brand alternatives. All Lenovo drivers are current, we updated the firmware and drivers for the dock. With that we still have the following problems and dont know how to resolve them

1. The network connectivity from the dock to laptop with USB-C loses connectivity on occasion. Also when the user shuts off the laptop, comes back and turns the laptop on, no network connectivity is re-established. The only way to fix this is to unplug the USB-C cable and plug it back in. Sometimes that will lock up windows and we have to do a hard shut down and start of the laptop. 

2. Running the display out from the dock is not always reliable. The monitor will turn off randomly. To bypass this issue we have to just plug the monitor directly into the laptop.

4. Occasional random bluescreens with a stop  code DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION. This error is related to bad drivers.

Are we missing something. Is there anything we have to set in the BIOS to resolve these problems? I've been reading up on this dock and a lot of people are having problems with this dock and carbon 6th gen laptops

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 13,009
Message 2 of 35

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen6 and issues with Thunderbolt 3 dock

Hi bryandbi, Tell us about the cable you're connecting to the dock with.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
bryandbi
SCSI Port
Views: 12,962
Message 3 of 35

Its the supplied USB-C cable that came with the dock
syellin
What's DOS?
Views: 12,933
Message 4 of 35

Similar problems here.  Everything worked fine up until I updated my bios to 1.23.  After that, the dock stopped working properly.  Screens randomly shut off under load.  I think that bio update caused other problems too as they issued an update to 1.25 a few days later to fix an issue with the "travel dock" or something.  If I knew how to roll back to an earlier bios, I bet that would solve the problem.  When I called tech support, their suggestion was send back my laptop so they could replace my motherboard.  No thanks.  I bought a new thunderbolt 3 dock and it works great.  Not as pretty as the lenovo thunderbolt 3 dock, but it works.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 12,918
Message 5 of 35

There's a bit of an update assault course for the Thunderbolt 3 dock. Please check that you have the latest:

1. X1 Carbon 6th Gen Thunderbolt software (found here)
  2. X1 Carbon 6th Gen Thunderbolt firmware (found here)
  3. Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 dock firmware (here)
  4. ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 dock drivers (here)

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
nathandb
What's DOS?
Views: 12,887
Message 6 of 35

I too have similar problems with the Thunderbolt dock. Specifically displays attached to the dock flickering on/off. It happens often enough to be frustrating. I have tried updating the firmware and drivers suggested by bananaman, to no effect. I believe I am up-to-date.

Interestingly I had this issue previously with the laptop I returned a month ago (which was a Dell XPS 15 9570), with Dell's Thunderbolt dock.

Now, with the X1 Carbon Gen 6 and Lenovo's Thunderbolt dock, I have the exact same issue. This might be jumping to conclusions, but it sounds like the same bug in the Thunderbolt software.

Highlighted
bryandbi
SCSI Port
Views: 12,817
Message 7 of 35

Interesting nathandb. Since this thunderbolt 3/USB-C is so new I wonder if its a driver issue with Win 10 specifically. Our user is on Windows 10 but perhaps it affects both Windows 7 and Win 10? Now I know why so many were excited and yet bemoaned the coming of USB-C.

JoakimH
What's DOS?
Views: 12,769
Message 8 of 35

Same issue here.

Screens go random black. If I quickly unplug the dock, I can continue working on laptop. If I let the it sit, the sceens eventually comes back on but no USB keyboard/mouse connectivity. Windows also locks up, and I have to do a cold restart of the computer.

Extremely annoying, and cause huge productivity issues as this happens several times a day.

FW and drivers for docking and computer are all latest version available for download.

bryandbi
SCSI Port
Views: 12,756
Message 9 of 35

I still have the same issue. Also other weird annoyances. Plugging a USB mouse into one of the dock ports disconnected the scanner. The network connectivity is off and on so much we resorted to using the gen 2 dongle and bypassing the dock for Ethernet connectivity.
JoakimH
What's DOS?
Views: 12,678
Message 10 of 35

Problem seems to have been solved for my part. So far, 1 1/2 workdays without issue.

What solved if for me, was updating the firmware for the onboard TB controller. Updating the FW and drivers for dock didnt solve anything for me. Atleast they are at the newest versions now.

Used the FW is listed under "Advanced Firmware" folder in the link provided by bananaman:

1. X1 Carbon 6th Gen Thunderbolt firmware (found here)

After the update, everything seems fine so far.

I've been using Lenovo's "System Update" tool, unsure as to why it hasent listed this firmware as needed/available in the tool.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors