Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryandbi
SCSI Port
Views: 2,340
Message 11 of 35

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen6 and issues with Thunderbolt 3 dock

Thanks for the info JoakimH. I assume you are talking about the USB-C firmware update for the laptop shown below? I believe we installed but I'm going to check again. if I run the lenovo update tool it tells me all drivers and firmware are up to date.

Capture.JPG

JoakimH
What's DOS?
Views: 2,304
Message 12 of 35

Sorry about the late reply, bryandbi.
Yes, it is the USB-C Dock firmware update that seems to have solved it for my part. Still haven't experienced the problem again so far.
bryandbi
SCSI Port
Views: 2,296
Message 13 of 35

Great thanks for letting me know JoakimH. I will give this a try. My only concern was if that firmware was for the USB-C dock specifically versus the Thunderbolt 3 dock. I think lenovo makes it a bit confusing with the naming convention between the USB-C dock and thunderbolt 3 dock. Why not USB-C dock and USB-C Ultra dock or something like that.

newlenovoguy1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,273
Message 14 of 35

Hi @bryandbi, did this work for you? I'm looking to get a dock for my new X1C6 and am hesitant with all of the reported problems on the TB3 dock.

syellin
What's DOS?
Views: 2,265
Message 15 of 35

No, installing that software and firmware does not fix the issue.  Stay far away from this dock.

Edit: Seems others have had some success with that solution so I will try again and see if it fixes the issue, but still, I would stay away from this dock.

newlenovoguy1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,266
Message 16 of 35

Any recommendations for another dock to use?
syellin
What's DOS?
Views: 2,265
Message 17 of 35

I've always had good success with plugable.  Not all that pretty to look at, but they work.  They have a couple thunderbolt 3 docks that have solid reviews.

bryandbi
SCSI Port
Views: 2,238
Message 18 of 35

These are all the docks other than the Thunderbolt 3 dock. The Thunderbolt 3 seems to be the highest end dock but as we have all found out it has issues.

They also have a USB-C dock which is similiar to the thunderbolt 3 dock just less ports? Also there is a lot of confusion over the difference btween thunderbolt 3 and USB-C. USB-C defines the connector standard and supports 10gbs. USB-C is backward combatible for thunderbolt 3. I think if a device is labeled thunderbolt 3 it supports the faster 40gbs.

USB-C Dock
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/Thinkpad-USB...

Thinkpad Ultra Dock. This is the snap on style dock that works with the new 6th gen carbon
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/top-tech/Ultra-Dock-135-W-US/p/40AJ0135US

And then you can use some of the older USB 3 docks
USB3 dock
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/USB-Basic-Do...

USB-3 Ultra dock
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/ThinkPad-USB...

dwpfister
Serial Port
Views: 2,134
Message 19 of 35

We are also getting the screen flickering issue.   We've been working with Lenovo for a few weeks on this issues and send them 2 of our machines, a bunch of docks, thunderbolt cables, etc.  They were not able to reproduce until yesterday (they finally saw it happen for themselves).   Hoping they figure this out soon.  We're in the process of deploying 1,600+ X1 G6 with TB3 Docks and already have about 30 reports of this in the field.

bryandbi
SCSI Port
Views: 2,128
Message 20 of 35

FYI we ended up returning the thunderbolt 3 dock and got the user the Ultradock instead. So far it seems to not have as many issues.

Thinkpad Ultra Dock. This is the snap on style dock that works with the new 6th gen carbon
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/top-tech/Ultra-Dock-135-W-US/p/40AJ0135US

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors