Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmwx1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,584
Message 21 of 35

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen6 and issues with Thunderbolt 3 dock

When I bought my X1 Carbon Gen6 I looked at the Lenovo options but thought they didn't offer enough types of ports. Instead I bought the CalDigit TS3 Plus.

The TS3 Plus has a lot of extra ports over the Lenovo offerings, including a SDXC card reader. Also there is no special driver software needed. As long as your Intel Thunderbolt software / driver is up to date, it is just plug and play.

Mine has been super reliable, use it all the time. I connect screens, Ethernet, USB devices, memory card, etc to it all the time, never been a problem.

And it doesn't cost as much!

bmwx1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,582
Message 22 of 35

Yes, CalDigit TS3 Plus. Been using mine since day 1. As well as powering my X1, it drives my screens,mouse, keyboard, Ethernet & I use it for memory card reading (full size). No additional driver needed too. Never had an issue with it.

bryandbi
SCSI Port
Views: 2,577
Message 23 of 35

Wow thanks for the info. I thought perhaps its a windows driver issue because USB-C is pretty new. If you are using a third party TS3 dock and its working without issue then this seems to be a Lenovo driver issue. Think the reviews on this dock speak for themselves
https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-TS3-Plus-Thunderbolt-Dock/dp/B078F9W8N1#customerReviews

bmwx1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,540
Message 24 of 35

Yep, those +ve reviews are spot on.
ivankelly
Paper Tape
Views: 2,261
Message 25 of 35

Did you ever getting a resolution on this from lenovo support?

bryandbi
SCSI Port
Views: 2,237
Message 26 of 35

No. We just got the Ultra dock snap on style instead. Seems to have less issues.

ivankelly
Paper Tape
Views: 2,222
Message 27 of 35

Thanks for the update. This seems to be a common issue with the x1c 6th gen :/

jedsheckler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,191
Message 28 of 35

We have had the same issue with one user with X1C Gen6 and the Thinkpad Thunderbolt Dock. Changing out the dock fixed the issue (while changing cables, updating drivers/firmware did not).

I have an open thread with another Thunderbolt dock issue here on a Gen5 Carbon. I purchased the CalDigit TS3+ in troubleshooting that issue, and it's a great dock, unfortunately my specific issue still remains.
webdev91
What's DOS?
Views: 2,054
Message 29 of 35

So this was never resolved for anyone?

ivankelly
Paper Tape
Views: 2,004
Message 30 of 35

I had the lenovo guy here today to swap out the main board. The issue persists (i.e. it's not the thunder bolt port).

One thing that I have noticed is that the issue only appears if the thunderbolt port is charging. My hub (CalDigit TS3+) has one port that charges, one that does not. So if I plug the hub into the non-charging port, it works as advertised, except no charging. Not ideal, but better than nothing. It would be interesting to know if this occurs with other hubs, especially the lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors