Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rlweiner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 960
Message 1 of 1

Thinkpad X1 Carbon displayport problem

I'm trying to connect my X1 Carbon (4th Gen) to a monitor using HDMI. I have a Lenovo OnePlus dock, which has DisplayPort and VGA outputs but no HDMI. My monitor has VGA, HDMI, and DVI inputs but no DP. I've tried two DP to HDMI adapters (one passive, one active) but neither will work -- I get neither video nor audio. I've already tried updating the BIOS and the graphics driver.

I tested this setup on an X230, which also has a DP output. That didn't work, either. I assumed the monitor's DVI input or the cable were bad -- until I tried setting the X230's BIOS display config to use DP during startup. Suddenly, the output worked -- until the boot sequence ended. Then it stopped.

This indicates that the DP output on the X230 works, the HDMI input on the monitor works, and the cable and adapter work. So why can't I see video after the machine boots?

I can't try this test on the X1. I was only able to get back into the X230's BIOS by connecting the monitor to an HDMI cable (my Pro Dock has an HDMI output). But the X1 and dock lack HDMI connections, so if I think I'll be unable to get back into the BIOS if I set the boot display to digital.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors