Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BBR
Paper Tape
Views: 74,203
Message 1 of 12

Thinkpad X1 Carbon does not start up

I received my Thinkpad X1 Carbon a week ago and it's been working fine both on battery power and on the AC adapter the entire time. This morning, I closed my laptop like usual (so it goes to sleep but doesn't shut down) and brought it to class with me. When I tried to wake it up though, nothing would work. It won't boot with the AC plugged in either. I'm pretty sure the battery is an integrated battery and I don't want to void my warranty by fiddling with it.

Does anyone know what I can do about this problem? It's the only computer I have in college and I'm taking some computer science courses so my problem is pretty urgent. I also can't feasibly bring it to somewhere to repair since I'm in a pretty isolated town and I don't own a car.

Also by reading the forums here, I'm under the impression that the Lenovo customer support line is simply terrible. Is that true?

Once again, thanks for any possible insight!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 74,114
Message 2 of 12

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon does not start up

'afternoon.

Welcome to the community.

Sorry you're having issues.

Have you tried the "reset" hole on the bottom of the laptop? I believe that it's unmarked, but you'd use a paper clip to trip the switch. I don't have an X1C, personally, so I can't describe it further. I'm mobile at the moment, so have limited search capability, but if you search the forum for a post by Mark_Lenovo, I believe there's a picture of it.

Regarding contacting Service, I've personally never had anything but good experiences. Please keep in mind that on open forums like these, the good reports seldom get posted.

hth a little.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

BBR
Paper Tape
Views: 73,960
Message 3 of 12

I remembered trying the hole before but after doing so again a few more times, things are working again. Thanks!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 73,958
Message 4 of 12

'welcome.

Glad you're going again! Smiley Happy

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

ibccarter
What's DOS?
Views: 71,775
Message 5 of 12

Hello, I just received my Carbon X1, and if I leave the computer running for some time and return to find the computer appears dead until I use the reset button. Does anyone know why this happens and how to resolve?

Thank You,

Ibccarter

Former Administrator
Views: 71,704
Message 6 of 12

ibccarter,

I'm not sure we have a definitive answer - we've seen some discussion of no start unless reset button is pressed but I can't recall seeing a variant of these symptoms when the computer has been left in a power on state.

When you note it was left on, was it running (and then went to sleep by itself) or did you put it in suspend / sleep, or hibernation?  

Generically, I would recommend ensuring you have latest BIOS and power manager versions loaded and go from there.

Mark

Highlighted
ibccarter
What's DOS?
Views: 71,695
Message 7 of 12

Actually, it started when the machine would go into sleep mode and then most recently it shut itself off as I was working in a Word document. However I did not try to update the BIOS as I have only had the box for a couple of weeks at this point. I am just going to get a replacement while the warranty is still valid.

Thanks for your response,

ibccarter

Cristine0901
Paper Tape
Views: 54,384
Message 8 of 12

I have the same problem..i tried the reset button but it didn't work..when i try to open it the keyboard have lights but the screen is still blank..no lights no display..pls help me
zeros000
Fanfold Paper
Views: 48,185
Message 9 of 12

Hi,

I have made this account just to reply here.

I have found a solution, I can't promise that this works for everyone..

Possible Solution:

*Try the reset hole first.

~Unscrew backplate

~There is a second reset button, press them both at the same time for 10s, this is located near the screen hinge under the backpanel above the M.2 SSD, it resets the BIOS.

Nothing worked for me until I gave up and tried to take the laptop apart when I found the CMOS clear button (BIOS reset). I don't know for how long but about 10s was enough to reset it, simply

*You have to plug in the power cable and press the ON button  and it should start up. Don't forget to put the backplate on before starting it, or be carefull not to short circuit something.

And this might not be a perfect fix, for me at least it's temporary, got to do this every time I shutdown the laptop. Or just unplug the flat battery, it's a red/black cable with white plug. Don't know if pc starts up like that have not tried yet. Maybe changing the battery helps. I'll also try a bios update and changing the battery later on.

Hope it helps,

Zeros000.

P.S.: Image of the button

2016-06-12 01.53.32.jpg

zeejee63
Paper Tape
Views: 44,260
Message 10 of 12

Did you find any solution? I have the same problem plz help me 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals