02-07-2017

ZA

7 Signins

119 Page Views

• Views: 119
  • Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad X1 Carbon has internal screen crack from opening lid

2017-02-07, 21:24 PM

I have a Thinkpad X1 Carbon and take very good  care of it and keep it in a laptop bag with padding. Today I used it, closed the lid and put it back in my bag. When I went home and wanted to use is I took it out of the laptop bag and opened up the lid and there was a black block at the top left of the screen.  I noticed a crack but is in the inside of the screen and not on the outside and I can't feel anything with my finger or I can't see any scratch or mark. There is a vertical pixelated line from the top of the bottom of the screen. The only thing I can think that could have caused is was when i opened the lid I used the top left corner to  open the screen. All I can think of is that because the lid is so thin and  flexible putting pressure on one part of the lid caused the problem.

If there is zero external damage cause will the warranty cover fixing the screen?

Solved! See the solution
Options

10977 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39567 Signins

412677 Page Views

• Views: 412677
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon has internal screen crack from opening lid

2017-02-07, 21:44 PM

I always tell people that it is best to use 2 hands or, at least, to open from the center.  I agree that the lid is thin and flexible.  I suggest taking it to a dealer and talking to a person.  With screen problems, it is best if both parties are looking at the same thing.

Rich

To help with forum searches, check this out: https:/forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Using-Browser-Search-to-find-your-answers-in-Lenovo-and-Moto-Community/m-p/5016916

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

18 Posts

02-04-2017

US

12 Signins

257 Page Views

• Views: 257
  • Message 3 of 6

2017-02-07, 22:53 PM

I think you will be okay. It should be covered. The main thing is that there is no signs of drops like scuffs and dents. If the break was caused by normal usage, I don't see there being a problem.

Options

3 Posts

02-07-2017

ZA

7 Signins

119 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2017-02-08, 4:32 AM

It's only 2 months old with zero bumps or scuffs. I have a 3 year warranty on the laptop so hopefully because it is an internal crack they will fix is. Then again I'm not in the US so hopefully the local Lenovo dealer doesn't take a hard stance but actually examines the screen to see nothing external caused it.

Options

3 Posts

02-07-2017

ZA

7 Signins

119 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2017-02-11, 15:25 PM

Lenovo support came back via email after I sent them a photo. This is their response

Please be advised that our Lead Technical Engineer advised that this issue is not covered by the warranty since this is clearly customer damage.

Internal crack is slowly spreading so getting worse.

Don't really like how they said clearly my fault as other people have the reported the same issue where the screen gets internal crack when opening the lid

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-Carbon-X1-cracked-touch-screen/td-p/2111568

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/X1-Carbon-gen-4-Cracked-screen-and-poor-service/td-p/3426946
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Screen-Cracked-Anyone-else/td-p/647981

I don't really like Lenovo sells a 3 year warrantee on the laptop but the weakest part of the laptop is not supported by the warrantee and goes after 2 months for me at least.

If it cracks when opening the lid so quickly  I can't risk replacing the lid and it happening in future.

Solution: Fixing the screen will cost more than selling the laptop with screen fixed 2nd hand. I'll just  chuck the laptop instead of being reminded of making a mistake buying it. 

Oh well.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

02-26-2016

USA

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 6 of 6

2017-03-25, 23:32 PM

Did they repair the screen for you? This happened to me too. Just opened it up one day, noticed the touch screen wasn't working and upon close inspection noticed an internal crack coming from the bottom middle of the screen. This is clearly a build issue. The quality of ThinkPads has gone down considerable. This is my third X1 carbon model and all of them have had serious issues after a year or so. Nothing like the ThinkPads from the 90s that lasted a decade. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete