Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
armanzrb
Paper Tape
Views: 3,882
Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad X1 Carbon sleep problem

I have 20A7, since I received it a couple of months ago, it  had this problem. If I use sleep mode it never wakes up. Unless I disable usb3.0 mode in BIOS setup. In this case it goes to sleep and wakes up, but after waking it up the adaptive keys are gone and not functioning. It's speakers also doesn't work (mute) until the next reboot.

shanghaicarbon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,815
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon sleep problem

Also have a 20A7 and the same thing occurring, the adaptaive keyboard bar is frozen and the laptop will not wake from suspend.  I have updated all drivers using the Lenovo Update utility so the laptop should be current.  Any update or resolution on this issue?

gogo01
Paper Tape
Views: 3,724
Message 3 of 11

Hello,

does anybody have a solution yet? I received my X1 Carbon 20A7 this week and I have the same problem.

Lenovo support will not help me right now. They ask me to reset the whole system first.

I wouldn't like to do that, since I invested a whole day to set it up.

Thanks

petren
Punch Card
Views: 3,645
Message 4 of 11

My 20A7 arrived last week, having the same issue and it is annoying. Anyone found a fix for this? Support had no clue they wanted me to exchange it.

gogo01
Paper Tape
Views: 3,630
Message 5 of 11

Hi,

support will not help you asl long as you have made changes to the configuration, i.e. from the moment you have installed any other SW you will get no help.

I didn't find other solutions. So I reseted my X1 Carbon to the original status. ...

... And the problem was gone.

Of course, after the reset you have to re-install all other SW again (Data will not be touched).

Before installing other SW, you should first refresh your system with all neccessary updates from Windows Update and from Lenovo System Update. But be carefull, avoid optional updates from lenovo, especially if drivers are listed or if "new features" are listed.

Now my X1 carbon works fine and it is much faster than before.

Good luck!

Gogo

petren
Punch Card
Views: 3,618
Message 6 of 11

That's the thing.. it is fresh no other software loaded updates up to date no settings change. I'm running Windows7 on it - (it came with it) it just wont come back from sleep although the adaptive keys seem to work but no screen.

this is why support was puzzled and wanted me to return it.

i'm, not convinced that flushing the software and reinstalling it would make a difference. Maybe you were just lucky; did you make any power settings change before it started to get weird?

since many people seem to experience the issue it seem to be either an incompatibilitry with the os or a larger problem with the sleep option.

thanks

gogo01
Paper Tape
Views: 3,606
Message 7 of 11

Even if you have not changed anything, you cannot be sure that everything is original. Maybe the dealer has "updated" things, maybe somebody else. Whon knsows?

And if you If you have not installed other SW yet, what do you have lose?

Just reset the whole system and check again, an hour work.

If it works start updating Windows and lenovo features as describes before.

If it does't work, than you should return the machine and exchange it for another one. Then a HW problem is very likely. AND Lenovo cannot refuse, because the machine is in its original status.

petren
Punch Card
Views: 3,591
Message 8 of 11

True indeed what you say. Except it takes a long time for the exchange and I really need it to work on something.

Plus I'm convinced it has something that is not hardware related so the time will be wasted.

I have loaded since some apps and also started digging and I think I'm almost close to say that the problem lies with the actual Lenovo power manager conflicting with Windows7 one. And I think it is the Lenovo one that is buggy.
I'll report shortly on the results. I need a few more days

petren
Punch Card
Views: 3,566
Message 9 of 11

Here is what I found out:

It appears that there is a conflict between the Lenovo and Windows embedded power monitor software. If you try for instance disabling going to sleep when you close the lid in Windows, automatically Lenovo PM enables it Smiley Happy and vice versa. And that is just one instance.

How I found that? I tried disabling going to hybernation and going to sleep on both only to find out that it still does and then when I checked one of the two always  had it on again. Really weird...

I have removed Lenovo Power monitor software and that seem to have fixed my problem. Only now the solution center utility reports I have no battery monitoring software, go figure...

I have Windows 7 and had Lenovo Power Monitor version 6 (latest).

Lenovo take notice and fix it...

petren
Punch Card
Views: 3,511
Message 10 of 11

Update: Lenovo replaced my maiboard and I was happy for a week as the issue went away. However because I had an issue with swithcing from speakers to headphones, I have updated drivers and in process I noticed there was a BIOS update which I happily checked it. While the update fixed the audio it brought me to square one on the sleeping issue.

pulling hair here as there is no way i can go to the previous Bios...

Top Kudoed Authors