Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
champignon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,939
Message 161 of 243

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

@ChrisL8 wrote:

This thread is going on so long that we are attracting trolls, lol. 

Dear Lenovo, I know you won't answer, but this is such a good example of why you need to monitor and respond in community support forums.

Seriously though, I see a lot of people getting refunded. Is that only possible within 30 days of purchase, or has anyone been offered a refund after longer due to this issue?

The obvious answer is that although you might luck out in a certain situation, and get a refund after more than 30 days have passed, allowing 30 days to pass is a bad idea if what you want is your money back.  I would never expect a goodwill gesture such as extending the return window on a purchase like this.  You ought to be able to decide whether you want to keep the laptop within the 30 day period.  If unsure, then just return it, you can always find another sale later and buy the product again.

There are credit cards that provide various protections that might be useful in this case.  This would fit under the category of "performance protection," or somesuch.

Review the policies and protections provided by the card you used to purchase the product, and that might give you another avenue for getting your money back, even if the money doesn't come back to you directly from Lenovo.

bert8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,847
Message 162 of 243

Interesting, Lenovo pulled BIOS version 1.15 from their download page last night. 1.10 is now the latest BIOS version you can download...

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

champignon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,801
Message 163 of 243

@bert8 wrote:

Interesting, Lenovo pulled BIOS version 1.15 from their download page last night. 1.10 is now the latest BIOS version you can download...

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

I routinely update my machines, and my X1E has bios # 1.15 on it.  I haven't modified any of the settings on it, and have had no problems with it.  I just went to the automated (System Update) program and the only update offered was for the Realtek Audio drivers.

I can surmise from this that once you have updated beyond 1.10, they are not automatically rolling back people's systems, although you might be able to do that manually if you choose to do so.  My advice would be to leave well enough alone if you have a working system, and I'd definitely avoid changing any of the settings that have previously bricked people's systems, no matter what bios you are running.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,799
Message 164 of 243

Dear customers,

regarding to the POST hang issue when switching Grphics mode from Hybrid to Discrete, development team identified the root cause and preparing the solution by BIOS #35(v1.17). It will be available by next Monday.

However, I'm sorry we couldn't find the way to recover the system by customers so that customers still need to contact Lenovo service to repair the planar.

Users who want to use discrete graphics, please update this BIOS #35(v1.17) first, then switched to discrete.

champignon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,793
Message 165 of 243

@Rydeen wrote:

Dear customers,

regarding to the POST hang issue when switching Grphics mode from Hybrid to Discrete, development team identified the root cause and preparing the solution by BIOS #35(v1.17). It will be available by next Monday.

However, I'm sorry we couldn't find the way to recover the system by customers so that customers still need to contact Lenovo service to repair the planar.

Thank you very much!

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 1,779
Message 166 of 243

@Rydeen wrote:

Dear customers,

Thanks a lot for the good news Rydeen!

Rydeen / All,

Just curious is the other issue with the 'Thunderbolt BIOS Assist' setting in the BIOS, which was also causing the laptop to display black screen / to brick, already resolved in BIOS 1.15?

Highlighted
sechsterangriff
Punch Card
Views: 1,768
Message 167 of 243

@Rydeen wrote:

Dear customers,

Instead of rushing it please just make sure to thouroughly test it this time before releasing it to the public.

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 1,535
Message 168 of 243

FYI, it looks like BIOS 1.10 is now the latest available for download today (i.e. it seems BIOS 1.15 was pulled from the site). Assume this is to prevent anyone from bricking their laptops if they try to change the settings in question.

I upgraded to 1.15 a few days ago, a day or so after getting my X1 Extreme, but I am not entering the BIOS as I do not need to make any changes anyway. 

Looking forward to the issues being resolved on Monday, as posted above with the release of BIOS 1.17, even though for now I have no need for those specific options it addresses as I am not planning to use native Linux.

tamale
Paper Tape
Views: 2,619
Message 169 of 243

I wish I had found this thread an hour ago - just made the switch on my brand new X1E and now it's displaying all the same symptoms Smiley Sad

Is there nothing I can do to get the machine working again so I can do the bios update myself?  I've taken out the cmos battery and will try leaving it out.

tamale
Paper Tape
Views: 2,611
Message 170 of 243

Also, I don't know how to get any help for my brand new machine, because I can't register it, because it says the warranty expired in 1970. **bleep**?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors