Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 249
Message 221 of 235

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

Yes, it could have come from Lenovo, fair enough. I only assumed it came down with the fair assortment of other pending OS updates since that was what was running at the time. In any case, and no matter how it came down (I can say for certain I didin't initiate it), the point remains I see no way it was anything but current yet it still allowed my system to be bricked by a few simple BIOS changes.

Jack

jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 243
Message 222 of 235

Thanks for the prayer ;-) My point is mainly that a Lenovo reseller allowed this system to be purchased on 02/05/19, configured and then shipped to me on 02/08/2019 with a BIOS that needed updating (and did while online) and either STILL IS BROKEN or allowed a lower-level BIOS that is still susceptible to the issue to install. I want to keep the unit, I've been waiting for a system I could load up and have a powerhouse laptop, I am just concerned about any company with the size and reputation of Lenovo remaining so quiet about the issue and again, not flooding their resellers and configurators with white papers to prevent this from allowing this to happen on newly sold systems. I wonder if my local repainr center even has the part given what must now be a run on replacement mobo's...

Jack

LinuxWerner
Punch Card
Views: 232
Message 223 of 235

Scary moment last night.  I changed the BIOS setting to enable Thunderbolt support for Linux.  The laptop showed a message that the setting will be changed during the next reboot and that may take 15s.  I rebooted, and the screen showed:

Configuring Thunderbolt Controller...

Please do not power off

It sat on this screen and did not change.  I waited a few hours and then tried every key combination, but nothing worked.  Even the "power button long press" did not change the display.  Before I went to bed I unplugged the laptop to deplete the battery.  An empty battery will for sure turn off a laptop....

This morning it was obviously powered down.  And - surprise, surpricse - after plugging it back in, it came back to life and behaves fine again.

Anway, I pretty much lost any confidence into Lenovo's ability to build quality firmware.

cheers,

Werner

champignon
Paper Tape
Views: 212
Message 224 of 235

@LinuxWerner wrote:

Scary moment last night.  I changed the BIOS setting to enable Thunderbolt support for Linux.  The laptop showed a message that the setting will be changed during the next reboot and that may take 15s.  I rebooted, and the screen showed:

Configuring Thunderbolt Controller...

Please do not power off

It sat on this screen and did not change.  I waited a few hours and then tried every key combination, but nothing worked.  Even the "power button long press" did not change the display.  Before I went to bed I unplugged the laptop to deplete the battery.  An empty battery will for sure turn off a laptop....

This morning it was obviously powered down.  And - surprise, surpricse - after plugging it back in, it came back to life and behaves fine again.

Anway, I pretty much lost any confidence into Lenovo's ability to build quality firmware.

cheers,

Werner

That's easy; I doubt that Lenovo builds that firmware, it is probably contracted out.

champignon
Paper Tape
Views: 209
Message 225 of 235

@jackfetter wrote:

Thanks for the prayer ;-) My point is mainly that a Lenovo reseller allowed this system to be purchased on 02/05/19, configured and then shipped to me on 02/08/2019 with a BIOS that needed updating (and did while online) and either STILL IS BROKEN or allowed a lower-level BIOS that is still susceptible to the issue to install. I want to keep the unit, I've been waiting for a system I could load up and have a powerhouse laptop, I am just concerned about any company with the size and reputation of Lenovo remaining so quiet about the issue and again, not flooding their resellers and configurators with white papers to prevent this from allowing this to happen on newly sold systems. I wonder if my local repainr center even has the part given what must now be a run on replacement mobo's...

Jack

The replacement parts (mobo, possibly the processor) are probably widely available at this point.  The initial run on the machines was at the time of release and Black Friday-related sales.  That's long ago and getting a repair at this point should be easy.

The wider point is that Bios and firmware alterations are done at your peril.  In a perfect universe one would expect that all options would be thoroughly tested.  In reality, the code in these things is like legal boilerplate on a lease or on a purchase and sales agreement.  I have no doubt that it is cut and pasted from the code that was used on other, earlier, machines.

99.97% of users never modify the bios, not one single option.  The overwhelming majority of the users wouldn't know how to even get into the Bios, no less modify it.  That's reality.  Then you have people customizing a system to run on Linux, on a computer  system that is prepackaged as a Windows machine and that has Windows installed on it, for which the purchaser must pay a licensing fee (bundled into the cost of the laptop).  The Linux that the users want to load on the system isn't coded well enough to deal with a machine that has integrated graphics PLUS a discrete graphics chip.  As a result, the users want to modify the bios only to use the discrete graphics chip.

No computer manufacturer can guarantee that a system that was sold with Windows will work 100% correctly when another operating system is installed on it.  Although it would be nice if every Bios option was extensively tested, the reality is that these things are booby traps.  I wonder how many other machines out there, by who knows how many other manufacturers, have booby traps laying in wait for someone to test and then to have their machine flame out?  I'd bet there are a lot of them.  The only reason why this issue with this machine has come to light is that a lot of people who want to use Linux chose to buy it, a grand coincidence.

If I can suggest something that might actually be useful, in the future, it would be for Linux users to get some manufacturers of hardware interested in making machines for this user group.  Then the machines can be designed around Linux usage, and this sort of problem, with a machine designed to run on another operating system, just won't happen.

jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 190
Message 226 of 235

In my case, I turned on Discreet Graphics, then changed my mind before rebooting and set it back, the two options I did select were Supervisor and Boot Passwords and with all due respect, would never buy anything from a vendor who admitted to not toggling every BIOS setting during testing. I bet if you ask Lenovo what testing all settings would have cost versus now replacing and eating the cost of 100, 200, 500+, who knows how many motherboards? These systems are in their Corporate line and the second a large company bricks a few of these and has to have a dozen or a hundred serviced on-site, the failure and questioning their competency all will take a toll. Trust me, any mature vendor knows this and they can't afford it i today's market, I woud all but guarantee something will change internally over this...

Jack

dThirteen
Punch Card
Views: 177
Message 227 of 235

Jack: This chap thought he'd bricked his P1 a couple of days ago but a couple of steps got him running. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P1-Bricked-after-disabling-AMT-in-BIOS/m...
Matt.
ThinkPad P1: i7-8850H, P2000, FHD, 32GB, 512GB.
Highlighted
jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 171
Message 228 of 235

Worth a shot I guess, let's see how easy this is to do...

Jack

jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 161
Message 229 of 235

@jackfetter wrote:

Worth a shot I guess, let's see how easy this is to do...

Jack

No dice... :-(

Jack

champignon
Paper Tape
Views: 120
Message 230 of 235

@jackfetter wrote:

In my case, I turned on Discreet Graphics, then changed my mind before rebooting and set it back, the two options I did select were Supervisor and Boot Passwords and with all due respect, would never buy anything from a vendor who admitted to not toggling every BIOS setting during testing. I bet if you ask Lenovo what testing all settings would have cost versus now replacing and eating the cost of 100, 200, 500+, who knows how many motherboards? These systems are in their Corporate line and the second a large company bricks a few of these and has to have a dozen or a hundred serviced on-site, the failure and questioning their competency all will take a toll. Trust me, any mature vendor knows this and they can't afford it i today's market, I woud all but guarantee something will change internally over this...

Jack

They are probably only selling these computers to us so that they can spy on us and steal our intellectual property, not to mention mind control.  These costs you mention above are trivial.

Smiley Very Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors