Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Apemantus
Core Memory
Views: 965
Message 231 of 243

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

While it's true that most computer users never update or even access their computer's system BIOS, this instance is unusual and it is not limited to Linux users. This is my third Thinkpad and I have accessed the BIOS and made changes on all three. This is the first time that making a change in the BIOS has resulted in the motherboard needing to be replaced. It is unusual for a problem with a configuration change to not (at a minimum) fail back to a last-known-good state. Considering the costs involved, this is obviously a big issue. However, I understand that mistakes like this can happen. I am satisfied with how it was resolved. It is also true that the black friday surge was likely a factor in this mistake occuring. And I'm sure that the time to resolve the issue was also impacted by the black friday surge and the December/January holidays.

In any case, the strength of their customer support continues to be one of the factors that makes Lenovo a compelling choice. And Thinkpads are still the best laptops for me. This X1 Extreme is really cool, but I understand that people are going to be mad. That is the nature of this industry.

jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 957
Message 232 of 243

I understand things break, I am not mad about that. What I am a little upset by is that 2 MONTHS after this started to happen, resellers are still selling these bad systems, at a minimum, if they can't tell which are bad, they could make the settings change in-house to see if it breaks OR at a minimum upgrade the BIOS before shipping. Even calling a service provider today, he didin't know anything about it, checked online and only saw the BIOS release, no warnings for resellers. It took him looking at the BIOS notes for the almost neutral sounding "might black screen certain systems"? I mean, where's the urgency or warning or any indication at all that this is a system killer?

Jack

jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 845
Message 233 of 243

My X1 Extreme needed a new mobo, I was able to take it to a local reseller/service provideron this past Tuesday and have it back today, 4 days, not bad! They hadn't heard of the issue when I took it in but made sure to try the BIOS settings known to brick it and the few I settings did change that I was worried might also be an issue. Not mad that stuff breaks but again, still dissapointed Lenovo couldn't have a better knowledge base and issue notification system so the first reseller/intergator knew to upgrade the BIOS before shipping it to me initially!

Jack

JSharpe
What's DOS?
Views: 767
Message 234 of 243

I also had an issue when updating drivers and BIOS (only configuration change was turning off the IPv6 UEFI network stack). During installation, the first reboot resulted in a black screen. No BIOS splash, no Windows, no external output via the USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, nothing whatsoever beyond a power light and running fans. Even holding the power button for up to a minute did nothing. I ended up opening up the case and pulling both the main and CMOS batteries to kill it, then held the power button down to drain flea power. On reconnecting the batteries and restarting, everything was working again and it has continued with the updates it was running. Just had to set the system time again due to disconnecting the CMOS battery. I have little confidence in this machine at this point, especially with the amount of heat it has been generating. We'll see how long it lasts.

jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 757
Message 235 of 243

Just make sure you get that BIOS up to 1.18, my certified repair guys tried every trick, they said the mobo replaceent was the only solution. Seems some system only get in a loop that clearing does solve, but please don't assume that was the full issue, be sure to upgrade and verify the BIOS is @ 1.18 before making any more changes...

Jack

webspider
Paper Tape
Views: 605
Message 236 of 243

ThinkPad P1 (Type 20MD, 20ME)
ThinkPad X1 Extreme (Type 20MF, 20MG

Change bios video from hybrid to discrete and now no video on lcd

Problem will be no video on lcd but computer still works - video works when connnected to external

Fix
Power on computer
press f1 enter bios - will hear beep to confirm - may take several tries - must hear a beep
Presss esc key - Clear anything on bios screen - sometimes help menu may pop up or an error
press f9 - load defaults - reset bios to factory default - the factory default is hybrid for video
press enter key - same as pressing yes
press f10 - save the bios settings and reboot
press enter key - same as pressing yes

* if you mess up combination press esc key and start over - if you have confirmed you are in the bios 

will reboot and now bios is reset and customer should have video

webspider
Paper Tape
Views: 604
Message 237 of 243

press f9 = Load default - reset bios to factory default
press 10 - save bios settings
jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 600
Message 238 of 243

Consider yourself very, very lucky!

Jack

driftydonn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 482
Message 239 of 243

Lenovo truly is horrible for customer service. The only option to anything to do with BIOS issues is replace the MB! This is a really bad company! I forgot my supervisor password, out of warranty so replace the motherboard!! Never use Lenovo
jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 471
Message 240 of 243

I don't want to kick you when you're down but I honestly don't want a back door to the passwords, sadly that means if you lose/forget it, the only option is then to replace (otherwise it's semi-useless as anything but a mild deterent). Raplacing the MB means those that use encryption protected by TPM also need to have our Bitocker Recovery Key to get access to our data again, so you can see, this is a critical component (repace Mobo AND having the Recovery Key) to keeping our data private. If you could just easily reset a mobo password, you are weakening the protection scheme which has a bunch of parts all working together. Again, sorry for your issues, honestly...

Jack

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors