Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djluigi
Paper Tape
Views: 6,468
Message 1 of 199

Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

After messing around in the BIOS a day after getting a new thinkpad x1 extreme I decided to change one of the display settings from using hybrid graphics to using the discrete graphics.  Ever since then, the laptop boots up fine but everything is black including the BIOS. 

Can anyone help me out?  

infosniper
Paper Tape
Views: 6,334
Message 2 of 199

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

same problem
joodile
Paper Tape
Views: 6,322
Message 3 of 199

Same problem with Thinkpad P1!

mnylen
Punch Card
Views: 6,265
Message 4 of 199

Same problem with X1 Extreme. BIOS version 1.15

JoeCanada
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,228
Message 5 of 199

Same problem.  I changed from Hybrid to Discrete and now it's black screen (I can hit Enter to get the boot options, but if I go into BIOS it's black screen after "Entering Setup....." 

I'm hoping someone with a working X1 Extreme can post the steps to blindly change the BIOS back to Hybrid, before I have to return this to Lenovo soon!  For example, after hitting F1 and seeing "Entering Setup...." then right, left, up, down, enter or whatever is required to blindly restore it to Hybrid mode!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,217
Message 6 of 199

I don't have an Extreme, and I don't know if restoring defaults restores the graphics settings...

The classic combo to restore defaults, save, and exit is F9 ... <enter> ... F10... <enter> with pauses for a few seconds in between.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

JoeCanada
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,209
Message 7 of 199

Okay I tried F9 <enter> F10 <enter> with delay between keystrokes, and it didn't work. The unit doesn't reboot or do anything to suggest that the BIOS was actually updated or defaulted. So I'm not confident that it is actually in the BIOS edit screen. It might just be hard-stopping immediately before it opens the BIOS screen.
mnylen
Punch Card
Views: 6,194
Message 8 of 199

Yeah, doesn't do anything for me either. Even just F10 + Enter doesn't do anything. I know for a fact that I'm at least entering the BIOS, because on like 1 out of 10 tries, I can see the Lenovo logo on boot and see the text "Entering setup..." before the screen going totally black.

After a while the fans start spininng, so something is happening.. :/

KristofferC
What's DOS?
Views: 6,166
Message 9 of 199

Exact same problem here. I noticed the dedicated graphics card was not being used, so I changed to "dedicated" in BIOS and that "bricked" it.

sechsterangriff
Punch Card
Views: 6,140
Message 10 of 199

Exact same issue. The laptop isn't even a week old ...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors