Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,030
Message 91 of 248

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

j0sepy, I've installed Pop!OS Linux, it would boot one in three attempts. However, once it's running everything worked fine. Then I've decided that switching graphics to discrete could solve the one in three boot problem (like it was suggested in one of the articles about X1 and Ubuntu) and now I'm here with a bricked laptop
champignon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,000
Message 92 of 248

I received my X1-Extreme 3 days ago and have gotten it set up to my liking.

I agree that it's irresponsible, to say the least, for Lenovo to sell these laptops with fatal bugs in the bios setup program.  It also seems very odd that they aren't dealing with this problem publicly, such as in this forum which I presume that Lenovo owns.

All that being said, I haven't had any issues with the machine and it's a joy to use, so far.  Mine is the i7 8550/32gb/4K screen option flavor.  One of the first things I did when I received it was to replace the lame 256gb Intel boot drive with a 512K Samsung 970 Pro drive plus added a 500gb WD Black drive into the second spot.  It was a no brainer to accomplish and everything works fine.  I would have done my own RAM upgrade however the price I paid from Lenovo for the 16gb x 2 sticks wasn't a whole lot more than it would have cost me to upgrade it myself.

At this point I think that Linux users and anyone who likes to get deeply into the bowels of the bios of this machine should wait before buying one, until these issues raised here are addressed.  On the other hand, if you are like me and you use Win 10 (with all its flaws) and you don't screw around with the bios much, it's a great machine.  I don't think that threads like this should deter typical/average users of the machine from buying one.

sechsterangriff
Punch Card
Views: 989
Message 93 of 248

@champignon wrote:

I received my X1-Extreme 3 days ago and have gotten it set up to my liking.

I agree that it's irresponsible, to say the least, for Lenovo to sell these laptops with fatal bugs in the bios setup program.  It also seems very odd that they aren't dealing with this problem publicly, such as in this forum which I presume that Lenovo owns.

All that being said, I haven't had any issues with the machine and it's a joy to use, so far.  Mine is the i7 8550/32gb/4K screen option flavor.  One of the first things I did when I received it was to replace the lame 256gb Intel boot drive with a 512K Samsung 970 Pro drive plus added a 500gb WD Black drive into the second spot.  It was a no brainer to accomplish and everything works fine.  I would have done my own RAM upgrade however the price I paid from Lenovo for the 16gb x 2 sticks wasn't a whole lot more than it would have cost me to upgrade it myself.

At this point I think that Linux users and anyone who likes to get deeply into the bowels of the bios of this machine should wait before buying one, until these issues raised here are addressed.  On the other hand, if you are like me and you use Win 10 (with all its flaws) and you don't screw around with the bios much, it's a great machine.  I don't think that threads like this should deter typical/average users of the machine from buying one.

It's a fatal flaw caused by a innocuous BIOS option and as such it should reason enough to at the very least roll back BIOS 1.15, disable the option altogether or even issue a recall, imho

Your average user just might one day want to install Linux or need to go into the BIOS for whatever reason. It's because you are an advanced user that now you know not to go into the BIOS as it is. Not to mention this type of Laptop is not exactly targeted at average users.

champignon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 972
Message 94 of 248

The fact that Lenovo forces you to buy this laptop with (at minimum) Windows 10 Home installed (and charged for) shows that they do not anticipate that very many purchasers will use Linux instead.  If they thought that there was a market for the machine sans operating system, they would offer that with all their other customizations.

This is not to diminish those who choose to use Linux on these laptops, nor to excuse Lenovo for this serious bios flaw.  I'm simply addressing what constitutes an "average user" for this laptop, and it is someone who is going to leave well enough alone as regards the OS to be used, and who probably is not going to do much to the bios settings, either.

I harken back to the era when people used to build their own desktops from the box and mobo on up, and I've built more than a few (but no longer).  I've tinkered with my share of bioses, over the years.  Generally speaking, I think that most people have more to lose from doing so (modifying most bios options) than they have to gain.

Also, regardless of the high performance aspect of this laptop, it's a thin and light "ultrabook" machine.  Although this one is easier to work on the guts of, it is stil a thin and light ultrabook, and that further limits the potential market for this machine.

I repeat, the overwhelming majority of purchasers will never install Linux on this machine, and only a tiny minority will do much to the bios.  None of this excuses Lenovo for serious lapses on their part; they are inexcusable.  I'm just stating that for at least 95%, probably more like 99% of the potential buyers of this laptop, this thread is very likely to scare them away from buying, when in fact they are extremely unlikely to do anything to it that will trigger the unfortunate results that many posters on this thread have experienced.

ChrisL8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 965
Message 95 of 248

Personally I think Lenovo owes all of us something.

I love my system, but if I hadn't, apparently by luck, been able to get Linux running, I would have returned it by now.

Meanwhile, I'd like to do some more experimenting/testing with other Linux destributions, but I'm stuck waiting for Lenovo to get its act together before I dare even open the BIOS settings again.

Even worse, there are now a lot of people who were new to Linux, wanting to try something new, being punished for doing what you are supposed to do with techonlogy, learning and experimenting.

I will start pointing people to this thread in hopes to ether warn people that Lenovo is a bad company to do business with,

or shame them into acknowledging that this is a serious failure and they owe us monetary compensation for putting up with a product that clearly fails to function as advertised.

When IBM spun off Thinkpad, I was very dissapointed, but most people who kept buying Thinkpads told me they are still quality machines.

This is my first Lenovo Thinkpad purchase, and I am very dissapointed that they've ruined what seems to generally be a great system with this amazing quality control failure and are not even acknowledging it with a public announcement or offer of expedited system repair and some form of compensation for the obvious product flaw.

Wendel
802.11n
Views: 945
Message 96 of 248

I am an average user who paid to be able to use a dedicated, discrete GPU in the X1. I can't use it due to the BIOS bug or whatever the problem may be. I will be forced to return my X1 for a full refund unless there's a fix soon. Lenovo has not delivered the product that I contracted to buy.

champignon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 934
Message 97 of 248

Reading through this thread, I'm surprised by the bad tech support/servicing responses that some people posting have experienced.  I've owned Thinkpads, many of them, continuously for decades and my service experiences have generally been good.  As recently as 2 weeks ago I called in for a failed battery on a Thinkpad I gave to my business partner when I upgraded, and got a prompt response, part number, etc.  The machine was still under warranty for 2 months, but did not have the extra battery warranty so the nearly 3 year old laptop would need to have the new battery paid for, even if IBM would install it/service it, for free.  I have never paid for the expedited/premium service offering, and yet my experiences have been almost uniformly good.

I don't know what people are expecting Lenovo to do under these circumstances; obviously, they need to get their arms around this problem, acknowledge it, and fix it, but beyond that it sounds to me like they have been offering to take back the defective/bricked systems and either refund the purchase price or fix them (ala replacing the mobo).  Their manufacturing/supply chain is obviously stretched on these machines, given the long amount of time that people have had to wait for their orders to be fulfilled (including myself), so it sounds like they just don't have spare motherboards lying around to give to people quickly.

As to overall quality control, Lenovo vs. IBM, obviously nothing ever stays the same as technology evolves and times change.  If IBM thought that continuing to produce and market Thinkpads would have been profitable for them, then they would never have sold the line to Lenovo.  Given all that has happened with miniaturization, screen resolutions, processors, video cards, etc. etc. etc., you really can't compare any manufacturer's products to what they made a decade and more ago, you have to compare them to their current day peers.  On that metric, the Thinkpads (or at least some of the Thinkpad series, T, X, and P) are still leaders in the industry.  They aren't perfect, and neither is that refrigerator you bought a couple of years ago.  Used to be that fridges had less features and lasted for 20 years; now you are very lucky to get 10 years out of them.

I was very resistent to the changes that Lenovo made in the Thinkpad line over the years, everything from the screen resolutions/dimensions, to thin and light ultrabooks.  Over time I came to appreciate these changes, and the difference between a 6 lb monstrosity type laptop vs. the barely 4-lb laptop that the X1-Extreme is, given it's 15.6" screen size.  It's a manufacturing and technological marvel.  Yes, it has warts, and this thread is all about those :-)  But, Lenovo Thinkpads are probably still the best laptops out there, when you look at the other choices currently being manufactured.

champignon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 933
Message 98 of 248

You are correct.
harryblueberry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 911
Message 99 of 248

There is no way Lenovo didn't know about this problem.

According to Ubuntu, the X1E is only certified when Ubuntu comes pre-installed from lenovo. There is no way someone at Lenovo didn't initially try to throw some Linux distro on there while working on their own certified version and didn't discover this.

The only explanation I see is a proper fix would have jeopardized release on time for black Friday or cyber Monday so they released anyway and choose to deal with a small minority of users on a one on one basis.

It's straight up a financial trade-off decision.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 885
Message 100 of 248

@harryblueberry, ditto, it's much easier to deal with a few Linux nerds after the release than to lose Black Friday and holidays, every sane person would do that. However, if this is the case, why Lenovo is silent? I see mods/admin replying in the other, less popular threads. Also couldn't they test the laptop and find the issue beforehand and update the bios to fix it or at least temporarily disable those options and promise to unlock them with the next update? This laptop is NOT one week old, I saw youtube reviews for it dated months back.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors