Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeCanada
Punch Card
Views: 3,520
Message 11 of 248

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

FYI, unplugging the battery and CMOS battery to try to clear the bios doesn't help, all it does is give you a 0217 error about incorrect clock settings, then goes to the black screen. 

jerry888
Paper Tape
Views: 3,509
Message 12 of 248

After changing graphics from hybrid to discrete, screen goes blank after splash screen.  Recieve unit for 1 day, and it is unacceptable that a simple setting change can brick new machine.

Bios Version:  1.15

Model: 20MF000CUS

mnylen
Punch Card
Views: 3,363
Message 13 of 248

Unfortunately returning the laptop seems to be the only option. Even though you can press F1 immediately after power up to enter BIOS, the BIOS doesn't seem to load properly. Just a F10 + Enter should save and exit and reboot the computer, but nothing happens. So I doubt the BIOS setup is not running.

I got mine submitted into service today. They are going to replace the system board. Going to take probably until next week as Lenovo has some part availability problems.

mnylen
Punch Card
Views: 3,359
Message 14 of 248

There's this http://posts.nadim.computer/2018/10/26/repairing-a-thinkpad.html

However, it's very advanced fix and fixes bricking that happened from changing different option (Thunderbolt BIOS assist). So it might not work for this discrete graphics bricking at all. And I have a feeling attempting that fix would definitely void the warranty.
wildwolf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,032
Message 15 of 248

The fact that a brand new, in my possession less than 24 hours, laptop is un-responsive with a black screen when changing graphics from hybrid to discrete is unacceptable. Their option for me was to return to replace the motherboard also.

I've opted for a full refund instead. What happens if I go into the BIOS 1 day after warranty and change graphics to discrete and brick my laptop? Absolutely horrible design. Btw, there's a 'reset' pinhole on the bottom of the laptop they had me press for 20 seconds also - that did nothing.

I have a Lenovo ts140 mini-server that I think is great. It's one of the reasons I opted for this X1 Extreme, but this laptop is so disappointing for this fact alone. Now I have to research another month to find a replacement. 

JoeCanada
Punch Card
Views: 3,009
Message 16 of 248

I feel your pain.  In 38 years of messing with BIOSs from my first TRS-80 i haven't seen something like this. I've messed them up on my own before, but not with something innocuous like this. Likely they will have this fixed with a new BIOS release well before your warranty expires. I chose to have it repaired rather than refund it, but i will not be messing with the BIOS settings until i am absolutely sure they've fixed it with a new update.. .  I'll probably even wait until at least 1.17 or 1.18 considering they are on 1.15 right now. 

jerry888
Paper Tape
Views: 3,001
Message 17 of 248

I also end up refunding instead of repair.  Mainly because I only use linux and need to disable hybrid during installation.  (Maybe I can use PopOS instead, but already too late to try that).  I also do not want to deal with their horrible tech support ever.   Accused me of the breaking the machine because I am not suppose to touch any bios setting(hybrid->discrete).   Their tech support cannot lookup my account via order#, and that is total waste of time for both party to have to exchange serial#, mailing + email over the phone.  It feel like their tech support is outsourced 3rd party support company with no access to lenovo's CRM system.

Customer service on contrary is very good.  They were able to access my information, and offered me refund or replacement without any hassle.

This is one of the best built pc laptop(thin) with H processor in the market today, I probably buy it when this issue is fixed. 

shrho1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,972
Message 18 of 248

I have the same issue. After switching from hybrid to discrete display mode, the screen goes black. 

This is my second X1 extreme, which means it is a replaced one just arrived yesterday after one month of waiting. My first one was bricked when I installed 18.04 Ubuntu and switched to discrete mode. In a thread about X1E brick, a Lenovo guy suggested that bios 1.15 resolves this issue. I upgraded the bios to 1.15 and switched to discrete mode, and it became unusable instantly. 

I would say it is not safe at this moment to try to install Linux on X1E. There are people who managed to do it with 18.10 or PopOS. I think it is highly dependent on the machine type. Mine has 64GB, 2 1TB SSD, FHD display. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,912
Message 19 of 248

Has enyone tried connecting an external display up to the laptop? 

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
shrho1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,910
Message 20 of 248

An external monitor via HDMI doesn't show any signal. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors