Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wildwolf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,831
Message 31 of 248

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

There is. Small pinhole on bottom, use paperclip and hold for 20 seconds per tech support. Didn't resolve issue for me.

Glad I returned the laptop. If they fix with BIOS update, what happens 1-2 days after warranty when a new BIOS update re-introduces it?

JoeCanada
Punch Card
Views: 1,828
Message 32 of 248

If it was that easy to just push in the pinhole none of us would be having this problem Smiley Happy Tech support has to go through all the steps with you, that's their job, but none of it will work. 

1and3rss0n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,606
Message 33 of 248

I've run into this bug as well. I can reliably get into the fimware boot menu by connecting an external HDMI monitor and pressing F12 during early boot up. Nothing on the external screen, but the boot menu appears on the laptop LCD and I can select boot entries.  Anything I try too boot from this menu goes blank and unresponsive, but at least the machine is able to run some code. Maybe the boot menu is using some non UEFI aware method of displaying things on the screen?

I've tried creating a USB stick for re-flashing the BIOS based using the mkusbkey.bat script inside this package:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/N2EUJ07W.exe

The stick appears in the boot menu, but for some reason it boot loader refuses to boot from it. Maybe because it's not UEFI? If someone could create a bootable UEFI stick that automatically executes a firmware reflash, that may have a chance of working...

JoeCanada
Punch Card
Views: 1,598
Message 34 of 248

I was able to get into the boot menu without needing an hdmi monitor attached. I tried booting a couple usb sticks including an Ubuntu, but it didn't work. I also tried the firmware boot stick and that didn't work like you said.

I tried creating a uefi usb boot with Rufus with the Lenovo bios iso file but Rufus kept saying the iso file was not a valid format.  Anyone else an expert with UEFI boot and Lenovo bios iso? Maybe the problem is secure boot is stopping this from working? Or maybe the fact that i didn't have legacy boot enabled in the bios stops the regular lenovo bios usb stick from working? 

sLick415
Paper Tape
Views: 1,569
Message 35 of 248

It's my first day with my X1 Extreme and I noticed that the Nvidia control panel was nowhere to be found. I did find the GeForce Experience app. Upon opening it and creating an account, it installed the Nvidia control panel and in all likelihood, perhaps the drivers as well? Can this be the reason for the bricking? Missing gpu drivers?

sechsterangriff
Punch Card
Views: 1,551
Message 36 of 248

Also managed to enter the F12 boot menu. I used mkusbkey.bat script to create a bootable FAT32 formated USB stick. It was recognized by the F12 boot menu, but when trying to boot from the USB stick the screen just turns black.

1and3rss0n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,532
Message 37 of 248

After completely wiping another USB stick, reformatting as FAT32 and installing the BIOS flash utility using mkusbkey.bat, the boot menu now seem to accept it and attempt to boot it, but from there on there's only a blank screen and no other response.

The documentations says "Please proceed according to the display on the screen". Anyone know if any key presses are required to initiate the reflash?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,509
Message 38 of 248

I will try and find out. 

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
LuLueL
Paper Tape
Views: 1,438
Message 39 of 248

I had the same problem when trying to install Fedora 29 to have a dual boot system.  I changed display bios setting from hybrid to discrete and lost video.  I tried many things, but this simple bios change seems to be fatal.  

lhe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,348
Message 40 of 248

Hit the same issue after setting graphics from hybrid to discrete in BIOS. I updated the BIOS when it first booted up. I suppose it is the latest version but unfortunately I didn't pay attention. I was thinking it was justing taking a bit more time to boot up until I found this thread. I was shocked - this is the first time I see a computer bricks and it happened to my less than 6 hr old brand new laptop. Being an engineer myself, I think this type of fatal bugs should have been fixed way before the model went into production. This should not be a difficult bug to catch either. It looks like Lenovo does testing in production. If it is not going to be fixed anytime soon, Lenovo should probably push another update to disable this option to reduce futher damage. Already called the customer service, requested replacement and awaiting approval. Will see how that goes. Probably another month.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors