Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Apemantus
Core Memory
Views: 1,495
Message 41 of 248

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

FWIW, I'm having a very similar experience. My new X1 Extreme arrived this afternoon. At first it seemed to be working fine. Then I booted into the BIOS to change from the default hybrid to the discrete graphics setting (to enable the GTX 1050 TI GPU). After saving and attmpting to reboot, the X1 Extreme displayed a blank screen and produced only fan noise - no beeps and nothing else. There was no way forward and no way back. I called for tech support and talked to a very professional Lenovo support person who said that they will send someone out to replace the motherboard.

This is my third personal ThinkPad: a W530 and a P71. Before that I had a W500 at work. They've all been great computers. I mean, profoundly great computers. Flawless. Sturdy. Reliable. And whenever I've had an issue, Lenovo tech support has also always been totally great. I've always felt that they cost more and they're worth more. I'll probably eventually end up loving this one too (the X1 Extreme). It certainly is cute.

WildcatTofu
Paper Tape
Views: 1,461
Message 42 of 248

Me too bricked my new X1E few hours after I received it. It is so disapointing, I have expected for its arrival for weeks. Now I have to return it and order another Dell precision 3xxx with ubuntu pre-installed. Smiley Sad

srodrigo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,386
Message 43 of 248

This is a joke. I receive my X1E today, and it lasted for 30 minutes, the time it took me to change the graphics from hybrid to discrete, and now I can neither get into the bios nor into windows, the screen is black (although I can press F1, F9, F12 and see a menu (one menu, because as soon as I select any option there, again black screen).

This is completely UNACCEPTABLE for a 2.600 euros laptop. Are you kidding me? I went for Lenovo for, apparently, better quality than Dell, but this monumental error is not accetable even in a 500e ACER.

Ah, and I read about this issue in this forum and see people having the same problem after replacing the motherboard. Hilarious... First and last time I get a Lenovo. I'm going to ask for a refund, not even a replacement. Bye Lenovo.

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 1,378
Message 44 of 248

Which X1 Extreme BIOS version are you guys on who have bricked your Lenovo by changing the BIOS (for either of the below two settings)?

Looks like 1.15 is the latest?

So this issue with bricking the laptop (rendering it unboootable) just by changing either of the following options is still occurring with BIOS 1.15 for both 1) and 2) below?

1) Changing from 'hybrid' to 'discrete' graphics

and

2) Enable bios support for thunderbolt.

Seems for the Lenovo P52 PC (which also has these issues) there is a BIOS 1.17, but the X1 Extreme is still at BIOS version 1.15?

mnylen
Punch Card
Views: 1,366
Message 45 of 248

I was on BIOS version 1.15 which is the latest available on X1E. I'm under the impression the Thunderbolt BIOS support bricking was fixed by 1.15, but it introduced the discrete graphics mode bricking, as I've seen reports of people who used to be able to enable it on 1.13.

For P52 the BIOS version 1.16 fixes the discrete graphics bricking. But unfortunately the trouble doesn't end there yet - turning on CSM Support bricks the device as well.

If you ever wanted to see two BrickPads being destroyed in less than three minutes, here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEkuM5lA_Q&t=13s Demonstrates also the discrete graphics mode working on P52 after 1.16 update.

bert8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,316
Message 46 of 248

Add me to the list of affected users. I received my 20MF X1E today, booted to W10 in order to install all the firmware updates (including the 1.15 BIOS). After several reboots I had all the Lenovo updates installed. I attempted to install Ubuntu but was unable to get the installer to launch. I tried switching to discrete graphics and now the laptop only shows a black screen after powering on.

bullwinkel808
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,294
Message 47 of 248

FWIW, I ran into the same issue as the rest of you, even had Lenovo send me a box to send in my unit.  I disconnected the cmos battery and tried but no help.  I then tried it again, but I left the cmos battery disconnected for 3 or 4 hours. The system came up that time with defaul settings set.  I have RHEL 7.6 up and running now for a couple of weeks but continue to have suspend/resume issues.  I had hanging problems while using GNOME, so I switched to KDE and am no longer running into issues.

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 1,270
Message 48 of 248

@mnylen wrote:

I was on BIOS version 1.15 which is the latest available on X1E. I'm under the impression the Thunderbolt BIOS support bricking was fixed by 1.15, but it introduced the discrete graphics mode bricking, as I've seen reports of people who used to be able to enable it on 1.13.

For P52 the BIOS version 1.16 fixes the discrete graphics bricking. But unfortunately the trouble doesn't end there yet - turning on CSM Support bricks the device as well.

If you ever wanted to see two BrickPads being destroyed in less than three minutes, here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEkuM5lA_Q&t=13s Demonstrates also the discrete graphics mode working on P52 after 1.16 update.

Thanks a lot for the info! That info helps a lot.

Hopefully Lenovo Support can post in this thread (or the separate thread about the Thunbderbolt assist enabling via BIOS bricking the unit) with plans to address both issues. 

This is my first Lenovo laptop (once I pick it up on Monday from hold location) and I hope not my last due to critical software (BIOS) issues such as this. I like the X1 Extreme hardware a lot (great keyboard feel / typing experience, spill resistant keyboard, lower weight than XPS 15, build quality) so hopefully they can get their act together for this BIOS issue.

1and3rss0n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,257
Message 49 of 248

bullwinkel, that's interesting. My i7 P1 was bricked by changing Hybrid to Discrete (and disabling Secure Boot, if that matters). I disconnected the CMOS and left it disconnected over night. Didn't fix it for me. Either clearing the CMOS settings didn't help me, or the main internal battery somehow kept the CMOS powered on. Disconnecting the main battery looked a bit too intrusive at that point.

sechsterangriff
Punch Card
Views: 1,225
Message 50 of 248

@bullwinkel808 wrote:

FWIW, I ran into the same issue as the rest of you, even had Lenovo send me a box to send in my unit.  I disconnected the cmos battery and tried but no help.  I then tried it again, but I left the cmos battery disconnected for 3 or 4 hours. The system came up that time with defaul settings set.  I have RHEL 7.6 up and running now for a couple of weeks but continue to have suspend/resume issues.  I had hanging problems while using GNOME, so I switched to KDE and am no longer running into issues.

That's very interesting. Did you also disconnect the main battery? Did you use the pinhole in the bottom? Did you turn on the laptop with the battery disconnected?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors