Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wendel
802.11n
Views: 1,049
Message 71 of 248

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

New X1 owner with BIOS 1.13. I have NOT updated the BIOS to 1.15.
Is 1.13 safe as far as the discrete graphics working or will it black screen also?

Isafang
Punch Card
Views: 1,003
Message 72 of 248

I would suggest you have a spare laptop as backup before trying anything, no one knows for sure what other “booby traps” lenovo has.. 🤣

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 995
Message 73 of 248

@Wendel No, mine is 1.13 too, bricked

ChrisL8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 982
Message 74 of 248

I got away with switching it back and forth on 1.15, and lots of people have gotten away with it once or twice based on comments in Reddit.

Which means there is a random element to it, so the only safe answer is DO NOT TOUCH IT!
njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 968
Message 75 of 248

@ChrisL8 wrote:
I got away with switching it back and forth on 1.15, and lots of people have gotten away with it once or twice based on comments in Reddit.

Which means there is a random element to it, so the only safe answer is DO NOT TOUCH IT!

Interesting, thanks for sharing since nobody posting here, so far, has had it work on 1.15.

Guess people who are not experiencing the issue are not reading this thread and hence not posting here.

Hopefully Andy_Lenovo posts something soon.

ChrisL8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 928
Message 76 of 248

Here is one report:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2g0k4/warning_do_not_change_from_hybrid_graphics_to/eaz1...

The other possibility is that most people who tried this now have no computer to use for posting on forums. LOL

I imagine that 99% of computer users never even go into the BIOS settings, so those of us who had a reason to change this setting are relatively small.

Here is another success report:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2g0k4/warning_do_not_change_from_hybrid_graphics_to/eayf...

and another:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a2g0k4/warning_do_not_change_from_hybrid_graphics_to/eb1r...

jeremie0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 878
Message 77 of 248

I wish I had seen all these a couple hours ealier.

I've been a proud owner of a X1 Extreme for about 1h30. Long enough to look around and switch 'hybrid graphics' to 'discret graphics'.

I opened a ticket on to the technical service while waiting until Monday for the phone assistance to be up and running.

wjbaird
Fanfold Paper
Views: 866
Message 78 of 248

Yes, another one as well. Got it yesterday, within about an hour bricked it...  I just can't believe they'd ship a system with a bios option that bricks the system...  

Just got off the phone with support, and they are sending a technician with a new motherboard, but not likely to be here until Wednesday or more likely Friday.  Not exactly the next day service I paid for...

I'd ask for a refund, but I'm not sure there's another laptop I'd rather buy out there right now...

ashaha
Paper Tape
Views: 816
Message 79 of 248

@ChrisL8 wrote:

Hmm, that is worth noting. There are several variables to consider with that;

• Was the BIOS updated before changing it again when it ultimately bricked
  • What other BIOS settings were changed in between
  • Specific revisions of hardware where it works, and others where it doesn't (e.g. component manufacturer differences, design changes, etc)

Check out the changelog for the P52, probably what we have to look forward to. If I were guessing, this is their test bed at the moment. There is a thread on these forums where someone with 1.17 tested his P52 at the lenovo service center and it didn't brick messing with discrete/csm toggling.. but who knows what other combinations and differences for the X1/P1 would still attribute to winning the brick lotto.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n2cuj10w.txt

<1.17>
 UEFI: 1.17 / ECP: 1.11
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system with optimized default disabled will black screen 
        when change Graphic Device to Discrete Graphics.

<1.16>
 UEFI: 1.16 / ECP: 1.11
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might black screen with Discrete Graphics.

<1.15>
 UEFI: 1.15 / ECP: 1.10
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might hang up when Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode
        was changed on Diagnostics Boot Mode.

<1.14>
 UEFI: 1.14 / ECP: 1.10
- [Important] Update includes a security fix.
- [Important] Fixed an issue where the system might not boot with Discrete Graphics.

It's interesting to see that third attempted fix specifically mentions "with optimized defaults disabled" - I take that to mean they tested it only with optimized defaults and if you had other BIOS changes then you still bricked. Who knows what combinations they tested for though, lol.

It's pretty hilarious at this point (now that I have decided to send the laptop back for a refund). Nevertheless, I'm still sort of interested from an engineering perspective. Lenovo, if you're reading this and want my help, send me a test X1E and the data you're reviewing/changing and I'd be happy to take a look. I've dealt with issues when trying to create reusable firmware across different models with slight variances in components (manufacturers and different revisions of certain components).

Creating reusable code is great in theory, and is the name of the game in the grand scheme of things. Standardize as much as you can to avoid duplicating efforts and code. That being said, this requires significantly more QE efforts to ensure issues are ironed out before causing brand reputation concerns [FYI, this is happening now].

I would try to define your variables, and use algorithms to create a list of every combination of these variables. Once this is defined, get the hardware setup and write code to test every combination (I assume you have a lab with all of the hardware variations and can reprogram chips directly when they brick).

Good luck. My offer to assist still stands, feel free to reach out to me. You'll have to send me an X1E (I'll send it back), I will be returning mine for a refund while I can.. if all of this gets sorted, I'll buy it again, I like the hardware.

Peace

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

terrycojones
What's DOS?
Views: 771
Message 80 of 248

Same here. Took maybe an hour to brick a USD $4400 X1 Extreme laptop that I waited weeks for (via the "Enable bios support for thunderbolt" option). Nice work, Lenovo!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors