Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srodrigo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 980
Message 81 of 247

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Black Screen Help

Hi Terry,

I'm unfamiliar with the issue with Thunderbolt. Do you mean that the Thunderbolt port doesn't work by default without going to the bios to enable it? I want to think that's not the case and I misunderstood your message..

terrycojones
What's DOS?
Views: 970
Message 82 of 247

Hi. It's the option mentioned here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X1-Extreme-Black-Screen-Help/m-p/430... The description of the option said it was a good thing for people wanting to use Linux, so I took it. There was then a warning saying that the option would be enabled 15 seconds after I exited the BIOS setup. I clicked OK. I then chose Save & Exit, and that was it - spinning fan & black screen. Rebooting gets the same result.

harryblueberry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 934
Message 83 of 247

Update:

Was on the phone with hardware support within the hour it happened. Got a case number. Don't let hardware support redirect you to software support, they were useless and were just trying to talk me into a one time $69 magical "software reset" which they thought would fix this. Rolled my eyes and called hardware support back.

Got my repair box in less than 24 hours and am dropping it off at FedEx tonight. So, less than 24 hour turnaround between reporting and and my X1E being on it's way back for repair.
LinuxWerner
Punch Card
Views: 861
Message 84 of 247

May I join the club?  Got my X1E yesterday evening and changed to discrete graphics to install Ubuntu.  That was it.  Very disappointed with Lenovo QA.  I opened a support ticket - let's see how this is going.

cheers,

Werner

Isafang
Punch Card
Views: 842
Message 85 of 247

img.png

Isafang
Punch Card
Views: 752
Message 86 of 247

I hope someone from Lenovo could drp in and provide some answers. 👀
srodrigo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 738
Message 87 of 247

This is what I can't understand, the lack of care they have is unbeliabable. Good reason for not purchasing from them anymore.

j0sepy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 708
Message 88 of 247

Same here, had my X1X for a couple of days before try it install Linux, switched display mode from hybrid to discrete and boom black screen. Called support, they are sending a box to ship my x1x back. Don't really want to run windoz so not sure what I'm going to do when I get it back.

Has anyone been able to get Linux running on the X1X, I saw an article indicating Pop!_OS works ...

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 700
Message 89 of 247

Same here.  Switch to discrete and black screen persists.  Thought about trying bootable cd to do BIOS "update" but cant get Rufus to recognize the iso Lenovo has on support site.  And dont have, not going to buy an external burner just for this. Submitted support ticket last night.  Happy Holidays! LoL, woof.

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 692
Message 90 of 247

@Isafang wrote:
I hope someone from Lenovo could drp in and provide some answers. 👀

Right, as I have been asking. I am surprised they are so silent regarding this.

I will get my first X1E; hopefully I like it enough to keep it. I am not planning to use these 3 specific problematic BIOS options anyway (Thunderbolt BIOS Assist, 'discrete graphics', 'CSM' enabled).

Not sure how a few people on Reddit got  'discrete' graphics to work on 1.15 without bricking; probably due to some combinations of OTHER BIOS settings. I am certainly not even entering the BIOS till these issues are officially confirmed to be fixed and tested.

Looks like the P52 BIOS (1.17) is ahead of the X1 Extreme (1.15) and has fixed at least one of these issues already.

While the 'Discrete' graphic is definitely still not fixed on the X1 Extereme (X1E) with BIOS 1.15, I am not sure of the status of the Thunderbolt BIOS assist bricking on the X1 Extreme using the same BIOS (1.15)

Did someone comment on that (i.e. is Thuderbolt Assist still bricking the X1E on 1.15)?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors