Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tangreese
Punch Card
Views: 642
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad X1 Extreme: Fn key and Keyboard Firmware

Hello,

I recently purchased a brand new X1 Extreme, switching (like I suppose many people) from an older MacBook Pro. I am delighted with the machine, and in particular I found that the following key combinations are implemented in the same manner as the MacBook:

• Fn + left = Home
  • Fn + right = End

However, some Fn key combinations are not implemented, and they do nothing. In particular:

• Fn + up = Page Up
  • Fn + down = Page Down
  • Fn + backspace = Delete

Since the combinations are implemented by the keyboard controller firmware they cannot be added in software, much to the frustration of former Apple users.

So, my request is: would it please be possible to pass this request to the person who maintains the keyboard controller firmware on the X1 Extreme? Adding the missing combinations would maintain total compatibility with the current setup, and would increase the appeal of the X1 Extreme for all the MacBook refugees.

Thank you for your attention.

Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 512
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme: Fn key and Keyboard Firmware

Hi Tangreese,

we like your idea, this is a proposal we should seriously think about, not only on X1 Extreme but also other products. 

It may take a while to develop and implement it, I will come back and let you know when it's available. 

Thank you for being Lenovo customer. 

drholliday
Punch Card
Views: 493
Message 3 of 5

If you do add this "feature", please, please, please make it an option in BIOS that we can disable completely (and don't remove the physical Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys). Having to use two hands to do something as simple as PgUp or PgDn defeats the purpose of having an efficient keyboard for those of us who type a lot. The current keyboard is one of the best mobile keyboards for typists, both for feel/feedback and layout.

Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 490
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the advice - don't worry, we'll surely do it in a smart way. we don't see a reason to get rid of physical kyes.

sayashr
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 477
Message 5 of 5

I think "Ctrl" does the things you're proposing the "Fn" do.

Personally, I put a sticker on my Fn keys, and only press them when I need to turn on/off Fn.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors