08-20-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 1 of 17

Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 and P1 Gen 2 known issue list

2020-08-20, 4:18 AM

Just trying to generate a post on all the problems collected from personal experience and feedback from the community for these models.

1. missing keystroke: user can occasionally encounter this problem when typing fast. This can be from two different reasons. One is due to firmware issue, which has been reported as fixed by the 1.29-1.22 bios (after 10 months of reporting). The second reason is likely due to some physical design problem with keyboards, that the keys do not register when the corners are being pressed softly.            
  2. low screen brightness: the 500 nit brightness marked on Lenovo website cannot be reached in hybrid mode. This is likely due to an issue with Intel Graphics Driver. Problem is still not solved at the time of writing. At this time, one can only get the full brightness by either using an old version of Intel Graphics Driver and disable any automatic updates or by switching to discrete mode in bios.          
  3. loose bottom cover: the bottom cover can be loose even when all screws are tightened. One can test this problem by putting pressure around the "ThinkPad" logo region on bottom-right side of palm rest and check whether the palm rest is moving or not. It is likely due to the design problem of a few screws, and one may need to physically cut them to some unknown lengths to fix this issue.  No official announcement has been made on this yet at the time of writing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
  4. black screen: screen cannot recover when disconnected from a external monitor connected via thunderbolt ports under hybrid mode. This may be reasoned from the offloading features from Nvidia graphic drivers. It can be solved by switching to discrete mode in bios. No fix from Lenovo has been released on this yet at the time of writing.                                                                                        
  5. battery draining: battery can drain hard even when the laptop is powered off. One can experience around 20% percentage of dropping after a couple of days when the laptop (with only Linux installed on) is completely turned off and not being powered on.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  6. coil whine: coil whine has been detected in all brands of X1 Extreme gen 2 and P1 gen 2. Replacing the motherboard can be a solution, but it is pure luck before one can get a motherboard without coil whine issue.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
  7. screen flickering: one may have noticeable screen flickering issue on some brands of panels. It can be related to Intel Graphic Driver features or just poor panel built-quality. One may solve the driver problem by a) setting the refresh rate from 59 to 60 and b) turning off the self-refresh feature in Intel Control Center. For hardware issue, replacing the panel solves the problem.                                   
  8. BSOD: one may have very frequent BSOD under Windows 10 2004 with August update. This is likely a driver issue with either Microsoft or Lenovo. No fix has been proposed at the time of writing, it is suggested to avoid this version at this time.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
  9. frequent driver roll-back: Lenovo has pulled off the bios 1.31 and 1.30 from official sources. No explanation of pulling off has been made on these versions. This is likely due to driver QC and testing problems.

I own a P1 gen 2 with i9-9880H, 16+16GB RAM, 1T+1T SDD and 500 nit FHD panel. I will not say that the machine is unusable as it handles hard work, but my own user experience is pretty poor, with faulty parts, frequent part replacements, system reinstalls, driver roll-back and long repairs. Besides, it takes extremely long for Lenovo to realize and fix a reported problem. In my personal review, I will reconsider when I need to purchase a top-brand laptop like this from Lenovo.

I will keep tracking with the known issues and you are welcomed to add your experience.

Options

231 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

251 Signins

2089 Page Views

• Views: 2089
  • Message 2 of 17

Re:Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 and P1 Gen 2 known issue list

2020-08-20, 13:20 PM

In my case (X1EGen2, 4K 500-nits HDR, Core i7, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD).

1. Fixed by BIOS 1.29-1.22, but problem returned with BIOS 1.31, that was pulled fortunately

2. Not fixed

3. Not fixed, can't be fixed really, bad quality Notebook

4. Unknown, I don't have a Thunderbolt monitor, only use HDMI, but I have a serious lag that requires a restart frecuently after connect/disconnect

5. Not in my case, but horrible 4K battery life, much worse that the advertised (3 hours max)

6. Not in my case

7. Not in my case

8. This BSOD issue is due to have Hyper-V or Windows Sandbox installed. Uninstall both and try to patch Windows again. Latest Lenovo drivers upddates like System foundation and Intel ME doesn't fix the issue. And BSOD points to ldiagio.sys. So, it is Lenovo's fault.

9. Frecuently and this needs a real explanation from Lenovo since this isn't the only model affected with frecuent drivers withdrawns.

Regards.

Options

86 Posts

03-30-2020

Australia

68 Signins

736 Page Views

• Views: 736
  • Message 3 of 17

2020-08-21, 5:43 AM

X1 Extreme Gen2, 4k display, 32gb ram, 512gb ssd 

1. missing keystroke: user can occasionally encounter this problem when typing fast. This can be from two different reasons. One is due to firmware issue, which has been reported as fixed by the 1.29-1.22 bios (after 10 months of reporting). The second reason is likely due to some physical design problem with keyboards, that the keys do not register when the corners are being pressed softly.
    -- Fixed with new bios

2. low screen brightness: the 500 nit brightness marked on Lenovo website cannot be reached in hybrid mode. This is likely due to an issue with Intel Graphics Driver. Problem is still not solved at the time of writing. At this time, one can only get the full brightness by either using an old version of Intel Graphics Driver and disable any automatic updates or by switching to discrete mode in bios.
    -- still a completely rediculous issue that's not fixed and lenovo's silence on the issue is offensive.

3. loose bottom cover: the bottom cover can be loose even when all screws are tightened. One can test this problem by putting pressure around the "ThinkPad" logo region on bottom-right side of palm rest and check whether the palm rest is moving or not. It is likely due to the design problem of a few screws, and one may need to physically cut them to some unknown lengths to fix this issue.  No official announcement has been made on this yet at the time of writing.
    -- yup, have this on my unit too, the bottom cover comes loose and starts clicking / dislodging / moving around

4. black screen: screen cannot recover when disconnected from a external monitor connected via thunderbolt ports under hybrid mode. This may be reasoned from the offloading features from Nvidia graphic drivers. It can be solved by switching to discrete mode in bios. No fix from Lenovo has been released on this yet at the time of writing.
    -- not experienced this yet

5. battery draining: battery can drain hard even when the laptop is powered off. One can experience around 20% percentage of dropping after a couple of days when the laptop (with only Linux installed on) is completely turned off and not being powered on.
    -- believe this is called modern standby or also caused by lenovo easyresume service which keeps the laptop on if its doing background services, believe this can be turned off by disabling the service

6. coil whine: coil whine has been detected in all brands of X1 Extreme gen 2 and P1 gen 2. Replacing the motherboard can be a solution, but it is pure luck before one can get a motherboard without coil whine issue.
    -- not been an issue with my device

7. screen flickering: one may have noticeable screen flickering issue on some brands of panels. It can be related to Intel Graphic Driver features or just poor panel built-quality. One may solve the driver problem by a) setting the refresh rate from 59 to 60 and b) turning off the self-refresh feature in Intel Control Center. For hardware issue, replacing the panel solves the problem.
    -- no issue here

8. BSOD: one may have very frequent BSOD under Windows 10 2004 with August update. This is likely a driver issue with either Microsoft or Lenovo. No fix has been proposed at the time of writing, it is suggested to avoid this version at this time.
    -- no issue here

9. frequent driver roll-back: Lenovo has pulled off the bios 1.31 and 1.30 from official sources. No explanation of pulling off has been made on these versions. This is likely due to driver QC and testing problems.
    -- yup, lenovo driver testing is definitely below par, their silence on the graphic display driver issues is very clear evidence of it. what a #$#$#@!$!@ experience the display dimming issue has been to live through
Options

231 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

251 Signins

2089 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2020-08-21, 13:42 PM

BIOS 1.34 released today.

New BIOS 1.34 keeps ECFW 1.22, so it should work okay with the keyboard.

But, it shows this warning in the changelog:

- Updated Network Boot Device and Boot conditions.

(Note) If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.34 or higher, it is no longer able to roll back to the version before 1.34 for boot problem prevention.

Because of this, I am not updating unless I am having some problem mentioned in the changelog as "fixable". I am not taking the risk of broke the keyboard again. 

I am not having any serious problem right now on 1.29-1.22 (except for the brightness issue).

Options

231 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

251 Signins

2089 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2020-08-25, 0:17 AM

I want to add a problem that I am experiencing, because I am using a second monitor as "only display".

After a HDMI reconnection, lag appears on the 'second display only' external monitor.

Only a system restart while second monitor is connected fixes the issue.

Options

4 Posts

08-20-2020

Australia

6 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 6 of 17

2020-08-25, 14:23 PM

@ joloriquelme wrote:

I want to add a problem that I am experiencing, because I am using a second monitor as "only display".

After a HDMI reconnection, lag appears on the 'second display only' external monitor.

Only a system restart while second monitor is connected fixes the issue.

The lagging happens to me randomly.  Sometimes it works okay when I connect my second monitor as a primary only display.  

When the lagging happens, rebooting fixes the issue.

Options

4 Posts

08-20-2020

Australia

6 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 7 of 17

2020-08-25, 14:37 PM

The "8. BSOD" issue when Hyper-V is enabled is fixed for me.  Just  goto BIOS  --> Virtualization  -->   Enhanced Windows Biometric Security:  Disabled  (default:  Enabled).  

See the link below.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/Lenovo-Vantage-Crashes-on-Windows-10-May-2004-Update/m-p/5030515?page=3

Options

231 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

251 Signins

2089 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2020-08-25, 23:05 PM
Thank you. Disabled.
Options

231 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

251 Signins

2089 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2020-08-26, 13:27 PM

Number 3 (bottom cover) it's starting to bother me. TouchPad clicking sounds and it is like a USD 200 computer.

Any way to fix this? Maybe a musk tape? xD

Options

18 Posts

10-09-2018

United States of America

76 Signins

423 Page Views

• Views: 423
  • Message 10 of 17

2020-08-26, 19:04 PM
Order a CRU(Customer replaceable Unit). Just fix everything inside and don't open it up anymore.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms