Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

02-16-2012

Belgium

15 Signins

225 Page Views

• Views: 225
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 3 questions

2020-09-28, 21:46 PM

It seems difficult to find detailed testing or reviewing reports on the latest Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 3. How does it compare to its predecessor Gen 2?

In particular I would be interested in the following:

• in terms of 4K display options, is the OLED screen on the Gen 3 identical to the one on the Gen 2? More to the point, is the same visibly annoying (at least to me) dotted grid pattern still present? That is the reason why I had to return the Gen 2 machine. If it is the same, how does the matte 4K IPS panel match up with the 4K OLED panel, as an alternative (quality, battery impact etc)?
  • has battery life been improved on this Gen 3, in particular with the 4K panels?
  • what happened to the Smartcard reader? The machines look as if they share the same footprint and size but I do not seem to find the Smartcard reader on the Gen 3? If it is no longer a built-to-order option, that would be a minus (as I need to use an ID card with some of my work)

Thanks!

ThinkPad X230 Tablet
ThinkPad Tablet 64 WiFi+3G
Options

67 Posts

03-29-2017

Norway

147 Signins

645 Page Views

• Views: 645
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 3 questions

2020-09-29, 9:04 AM

I've never seen or used a gen 2, but some general thoughts about the gen 3 (which I have now), related to your questions:

• The 4K OLED option is a touchscreen. A touchscreen would always have an additional layer... hence looks a bit inferior to a non-touch 4K OLED. Unfortunately the alternative is a 4K, non-OLED. I have abosolutely no use for a touch screen and dislike the thick look, so it was an easy choice for me. It looks absolutely fantastic, best screen I've ever had, although I am still struggling with getting used to what subjectively looks like over-saturation from the screen calibration profile.
  • Smartcard reader: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Bought-an-X1Extreme-on-Black-Friday-Smart-Card-Reader-Missing/m-p/4319278
Options

12 Posts

02-16-2012

Belgium

15 Signins

225 Page Views

• Views: 225
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-10-02, 14:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the screen. So I understand you went for the 4K non-OLED screen then. Regarding the lacking SmartCard, I had already found that referral but, unfortunately, this relates to the previous versions of the X1 Extreme, not the Gen 3. As a matter of fact, I do not find the customizable option to add a SmartCard reader, so hence my question what had happened. Greets.

ThinkPad X230 Tablet
ThinkPad Tablet 64 WiFi+3G
Options

67 Posts

03-29-2017

Norway

147 Signins

645 Page Views

• Views: 645
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-10-02, 16:40 PM

That is correct - I went for the 4K Non-touch IPS.

The official Lenovo X1 Extreme gen 3 spec states: "Smart card reader: None", despite the fact that you can find the following in the gen 3 user manual:

"Quickly share your files using the built-in Bluetooth or NFC technology among devices with the same features. You also can insert a media card or smart card to transfer data."

No mentioning of Smart Card in the Maintenance Manual. 

Draw your own conclusion.... ;)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms