Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Errrneist
What's DOS?
Views: 1,085
Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad X1 Extreme Repair on Parts Hold

Hey guys,

I got a Thinkpad X1 Extreme a month ago, it worked well untill one day the screen doesn't turn on any more. (It was a beautiful screen tho and the laptop still works when plugges into a external monitor) I sent it into RMA in Texas and a day after they received it they told me it is currently "Repair on parts hold: Part not avaliable" and that was back on Dec 7th. I have never receieved ANY update since then (They told me it typically takes about 6 business days to fix) and this is a laptop that prices over 3k! I cannot wait any longer and I wonder if Lenovo can just send me a new one and sell my old one after they fix it or make this fix any faster?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,072
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme Repair on Parts Hold

This is a peer-to-peer forum, so posters like me are customers rather than Lenovo employees.  You should call back the service center and ask that your case be escalated.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
sgsriram
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,025
Message 3 of 11

I sent my X1 Extreme in on 10 Dec as I bricked the machine by switching the graphics from hybrid to discreet. I called them up several times but they said they order the parts on the day of receiving my machine. FYI I was told that wait times are 3-5 business days for the repair.

Errrneist
What's DOS?
Views: 1,022
Message 4 of 11

OMG How in the world can this machine be easily broken by switching from hybrid to discrete😂😂😂

hitparader
Fanfold Paper
Views: 880
Message 5 of 11

What was the final outcome? How long did the repair take or are you still waiting?

sgsriram
Fanfold Paper
Views: 872
Message 6 of 11

Mine's still awaiting parts. They said it'll arrive by 23 Jan (40+ days wait) but I fear it'll get delayed again

hitparader
Fanfold Paper
Views: 870
Message 7 of 11

Paper Tape, thanks for the update!! They received mine yesterday and went on hold wait for parts today. I guess that mean I'll definitely not get it in time for the new cohort I am teaching. If you don't mind, follow up and let me know how it goes for you. 

theallan
Paper Tape
Views: 815
Message 8 of 11

Similar story here in the UK. Same graphics bricking issue - reported in early December and now 23th Jan, and still no word on when it will actually be repaired. I've been told it should be done later this week (seriously doubt it) and that:

the delay was caused due to a global shortage on the CPUs on Intel's side.

Fine. But its **bleep** annoying that its been more than 6 weeks now and the Lenovo web-site says shipping 1-2 days for a "gen 1" (whatever that is) X1E and 7 days for X1E (not gen 1 - gen 2?). Just ship me a new laptop! Its exceptionally poor support for a premium machine, never mind the insane bug in the bios that bricks the machine!!

Allan

Highlighted
hitparader
Fanfold Paper
Views: 760
Message 9 of 11

Not sure what my next steps are in the process, but my X1E timeline so far has been not bad.

1-17 : Memphis received my laptop, repair started

1-18: Repair on parts Hold

1-21: MLK Holiday

1-25 Release from Hold

Considering they had to wait on a part, I am impressed with this timeline. It seems it will be back in my hands sometime next week!

sgsriram
Fanfold Paper
Views: 731
Message 10 of 11

Surprisingly the service center called me on the 22th that it my X1 Extreme was ready for pickup. Now after a few days it works normally but I still don't dare to switch from hybrid to discreet for 2 or 3 more bios updates. When I picked it up the technician told me that the reason it took that long is because after they order the part and since it's not a stocked part they have to wait for the factory in China to produce a new batch of motherboards to be able to get it. As far as I know both Apple and Dell have partnerships with courier companies and they store replacement parts at the companies' warehouses so that once a technician places an order it's out the door within the next day and the repair facility receives it normally in 2-4 days but at most 7 days depending on the location. Lenovo should really pump more resources into support.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors