Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HarjitS
Blue Screen Again
Views: 291
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad X1 Extreme - Unable to reliably select boot device or enter BIOS setup

I turn off the machine by holding down the power button for more than four seconds.

Then, I press the power button and I've tried:

1) Pressing F1 (to enter BIOS setup) or F12 (to select boot device) and 10% of the time it will work

2) Waiting for the "Lenovo" splash screen and then pressing the key - success rate is about 10%

I'm in the middle of clean installing Windows 10 but the install is hosed and it dies during the Windows 10 boot process.

When I press the key, the "Fn Lock" on the ESC key is not lit.

Help!

Thanks.

PS: When turning off, the power button flashes seven times. Is there a decoder ring for the # of flashes?

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 249
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme - Unable to reliably select boot device or enter BIOS setup

Dear customer,

>PS: When turning off, the power button flashes seven times. Is there a decoder ring for the # of flashes?

Windows 10 enables "Fast Startup" feature in default and it makes the system shutdown to perform a kind of hybernation. The power button LED flashing is indicates system is saving hybernation file.

ThinkPad system is designed not to enter BIOS Setup even user press F1 key or F10 key while Lenovo logo displaying at hybernation resume.

I suggest you to use "Restart" option instead of Shutdown when you want to enter BIOS Setup.

Also I suggest you to enter F1 key or F10 key several times in order to enter BIOS Setup while Lenovo POST logo disaplaying at restart.

HarjitS
Blue Screen Again
Views: 219
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme - Unable to reliably select boot device or enter BIOS setup

Thank you. The problem is that Windows got into a poor state during Windows 10 install and whenever I start the machine, it went tried to continue the install.

I don't know how but after five or ten power cycles of the machine, I did get the "press Enter to go to BIOS" prompt and used that to disable the quick boot. Let's see if that always works.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors