cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olbez
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,318
Message 1 of 20

Thinkpad X1 Extreme: Upgraded BIOS to 1.18 and Thunderbolt ports stopped working

In the morning today I got a notification from Lenovo Vantage that a new version of BIOS is available for install. I went ahead and installed, restarted and my dock isn't working. Tried to plug in a monitor into the TB3 port, also didn't work. I went into BIOS and turned on BIOS assist for Thunderbolt but it didn't have any effect.

Anyone else is experiencing the same issues?

Thinkpad model: 20MF000DUS

BIOS version: 2EET36W 1.18

20MF000DUS

linovox1kiwami
What's DOS?
Views: 1,215
Message 2 of 20

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme: Upgraded BIOS to 1.18 and Thunderbolt ports stopped working

I updated my X1 Extreme to 1.18 a couple days ago and did not get any issue. I use TB3 port for display monitor and GPU, both working correctly.

egkanias
Paper Tape
Views: 1,116
Message 3 of 20

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme: Upgraded BIOS to 1.18 and Thunderbolt ports stopped working

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue.

ThinkPad description: X1 Extreme Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20MF
ThinkPad model: 20MFCTO1WW
Dock description: Thunderbolt 3 Working Dock Gen 2 - Type 40AN
Dock model: 40AN0230UK
olbez
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,080
Message 4 of 20

Yeah, i ended up creating a ticket for warranty repair and will be sending my laptop in tomorrow to get it fixed. I'll post updates here.
fredric
Paper Tape
Views: 996
Message 5 of 20

I have the same issue. It is so annoying. I had issue with Thunderbolt display when woke up from sleep mode. After the BIOS upgrade, it is even worse.... Just stop working at all...

njweb
SCSI Port
Views: 914
Message 6 of 20

Odd that one person here (as posted further above) did not have the issue, whereas several others had Thunderbolt ports stop working.

Guess I may wait to upgrade my BIOS till there is more clarity on this issue...

olbez
Blue Screen Again
Views: 891
Message 7 of 20

Yeah, maybe a specific batch of x1e laptops is impacted while rest of them aren't... Who knows really.

fredric
Paper Tape
Views: 858
Message 8 of 20

I am not sure another BIOS upgrade will solve the problem, since I raise the issue with Lenovo Support online, they are providing me a shipping box and asking me to send my car to them. Maybe some parts need replacement. 

bluebeat888
Serial Port
Views: 843
Message 9 of 20

Different situation here. Got the refurb (official Lenovo refurb)   20MF000DUS (X1 Extreme)

I updated everything before flashing Bios to 1.18.

Thunderbolt works for external hard drives, but second display does not.... Well sometimes it works, some time it does not. In device manager it has this error on USB ports:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A USB port reset request failed.

I tried to uninstall usb driver, reboted, disabled security for Thunderbolt in BIOS. Did not help with external monitor which works absolutely fine with YOGA on USB-C alternate mode (Power+Display) 

Thinkpad support over the phone is a big nasty joke. Not sure why these people even work there. I spent nearly 2 hours yesterday with 3 reps, got absolutely NOTHING from them, did not even try to resolve the issue. Seems "sending a prepaid box" is much easier for them.

I am wondering if it is the same issue related to BIOS update? 

g-rod
What's DOS?
Views: 743
Message 10 of 20

Trackpoint buttons (righ, left and center on top of mouse pad) stopped working after the update. Thought I'd found the perfect computer. Wrong again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors