Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ExtremePain
Paper Tape
Views: 1,510
Message 1 of 22

Thinkpad X1 Extreme and USB-C Hybrid dock crashes

Hi All

I have an X1 Extreme which for the most part I love. However, I am getting seriously frustrated.

For 8 hours a day I have the laptop connected via USB-C to a "Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock" via the supplied USB-C cable. In the dock, I have 2 x Benq 24" 1080p monitors connected via DP, a Cherry wireless keyboard/mouse dongle, and a Sennheiser headset for VoIP. The dock is connected to power using the supplier power brick and cable.

A few times a day I will get a 'user-mode driver crash' where the dock and all the connected peripherals will crash. The laptop continues to function even though the lid is closed. If I open the lid, all is well on the laptop but the connected components remain 'frozen'. If I unplug the USB-C cable and reconnect it, everything comes back ok.

I've tried removing the Cherry dongle and plugging it directly in to the laptop - same issue. Also done that with the Sennheiser.

I'm using 1.00.13 of the driver for the dock, and it's on the latest firmware V10010 all from here

The laptop works fine when it's not using the dock.

It appears to freeze more often when I open a new tab in Chrome, or during a Microsoft Teams call, which seems to suggest it's a 'load' thing that is causing the driver to crash?

Capture.PNG

I've raised it with Lenovo and they sent me a new cable and closed the case. It's getting to the point where I'm wishing I'd stayed with my previous X1 Carbon.

Any help appreciated!

CodersUnlimited
What's DOS?
Views: 1,416
Message 2 of 22

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme and USB-C Hybrid dock crashes

I have the exact same problem with my new X1 Extreme. I also have the feeling that it mostly happens when I open a new tab in Chrome. If there is any solution for this problem I would really appreciate that!

jalozada
Paper Tape
Views: 1,395
Message 3 of 22

I am having the same issue on new X1 with USB-C Hybrid.  Anyone in Lenovo looking at this issue.  Seems to be tied to potential driver update.  

System Event:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode
Date: 11/21/2018 12:47:33 PM
Event ID: 10111
Task Category: User-mode Driver problems.
Level: Critical
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: NOVISYS-LT
Description:
The device ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock (location 003a.0000.0000.004.002.000.000.000.000) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode" Guid="{2E35AAEB-857F-4BEB-A418-2E6C0E54D988}" />
<EventID>10111</EventID>
<Version>1</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>64</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-11-21T17:47:33.252191600Z" />
<EventRecordID>177077</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="104" ThreadID="584" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>NOVISYS-LT</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<UserData>
<UmdfDeviceOffline xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/DriverFrameworks/UserMode/Event">
<LifetimeId>{8022F517-27D4-47F8-89EF-677118466DA9}</LifetimeId>
<FriendlyName>ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock</FriendlyName>
<Location>003a.0000.0000.004.002.000.000.000.000</Location>
<InstanceId>USB\VID_17E9&amp;PID_6015&amp;MI_01\A&amp;3B4CAF80&amp;0&amp;0001</InstanceId>
<RestartCount>5</RestartCount>
</UmdfDeviceOffline>
</UserData>
</Event>

jfong111
Punch Card
Views: 1,328
Message 4 of 22

I have a similar issue here. I just got my x1 extreme yesterday. I've connected to a thunderbolt dock and it would randomly disconnect at random times causing the display to flash multiple times. Occasionally, it would even disconnect my usb flash drive that is connected to the right hand side USB port. I've updated all the drivers and bios and firmware but still experiencing the issue. It is getting pretty frustrating. Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions? Not sure if this is a hardware or driver or firmware issue.

ExtremePain
Paper Tape
Views: 1,283
Message 5 of 22

I suppose it's comforting that I'm not the only person suffering with the same issue. It's still happening and has occured 3 times already this morning. I keep trying for driver updates but there's been nothing for a while, however Lenovo System Update is downloading a new video driver now. I can't see it helping but I'll try anything at this stage.

Failing that I'm going to push to return the laptop and dock to Lenovo for a full refund, and I'll just go back to an X1 Carbon.

ExtremePain
Paper Tape
Views: 1,265
Message 6 of 22

So the video driver update made no difference.

However, I stopped using Chrome about three hours and moved to Edge. So far, I have had no driver crashes.

ExtremePain
Paper Tape
Views: 1,258
Message 7 of 22

And now two quick crashes in succession, whilst using Edge!

fenixen
Serial Port
Views: 1,248
Message 8 of 22

I have the exact same issuea as everyone else here. The hybrid does not work well with Extreme at all.

In Lenovos lousy defence they dont list the X1 Extreme as supported by the dock.

Good thing we have 200+ Hybrid docks.. fml..
euanmc
What's DOS?
Views: 1,234
Message 9 of 22

I also have the same problem with an X1 Extreme, using a StarTech.com Thunderbolt 3 dock. The thunderbolt dock drops all connections randomly every few minutes or so, and seems especially likely when opening a new tab in Chrome. After talking with the StarTech tech support several times and trying two different docks, my guess is that the problem is with the laptop and not the dock.  However, I have no issues using just a VGA to TB adapter for a second display rather than the dock, so in some cases the TB interface is stable.

fenixen
Serial Port
Views: 1,214
Message 10 of 22

I had this problem on Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock as well, but after plugging in both the 230watt and the 135 watt power adapters (the lenovo version uses two!) it has been working fine. 

The hybrid dock + extreme is a disaster though.. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors