Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cybercrypt13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 315
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad X1 Extreme and WD Black SSD

I just got my new Thinkpad in and wanted to install a second drive with Linux on it.  The bios sees the drive and I've already installed the OS on it but when I chose it it won't boot.  It just keeps booting to the primary drive with WIndows 10 on it.

Can anyone tell me if the WD SSD drives won't work for some reason in this computer?  The drives are listed as supported for the X1 I know.  Seems strange it would work in the X1 and not the X1 Extreme.

Thanks,

Glenn

Wendel
802.11n
Views: 283
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme and WD Black SSD

Did you turn off Secureboot in the BIOS? If, when the other OS boots (I assume it's Windows),  you can read the contents of the new drive, that would indicate the drive is OK.

cybercrypt13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 281
Message 3 of 4

I did do that but nothing worked.  I even installed linux mint onto the drive using another computer without any encryption and still couldn't get it to work.  However, I then did the same thing on a samsung m.2 card I had and it also didn't work.  What I ended up doing afterwards is trying to boot off usb and install linux mint onto the computer while the drive was in it.  It took a couple tries because it kept locking up for some reason.  After I installed it onto the x1 itself everything has worked.  So maybe the drive will work but I have to do the install through the x1 instead of trying to just install an already running OS from another computer.

Seems strange as i've never had this issue before but will keep playing and see if I can figure out what is going on.  Still don't know if the WD Black cards will work as I'm still trying to get everything else to work properly.  Will go back and test that again later.

Thanks,

Glenn

Wendel
802.11n
Views: 268
Message 4 of 4

If you can read the files on the WD Black from the Windows OS, the drive should be fine. Search about Linux/Ubuntu installations. It is tricky as I recall. There may be another BIOS setting you need to change. You might try using Rufus.

One other thought. Make sure you change the graphics in the BIOS to discrete using only the Nvidia chip.

Again, I am not an expert.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors