cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snowisnej
Not applicable
Views: 3,672
Message 1 of 13

Thinkpad X1 Extreme stuck in Bootloop: "Configuration changed - Restart the system"

Hi all,

After changing some settings in the BIOS (desactivation of some devices: WIFI, Camera, Ethernet, Fingerprint reader...) for troubleshooting a linux issue I had. The laptop now bootloops right after the Lenovo logo with the folowing message displayed for barely a second: "Configuration changed - Restart the system"...

It's absolutely impossible to get to the BIOS, I can get to the boot menu via the F12 Key but any option I choose (BIOS, Diagnostics...) gets immediately the same message and it restarts.

I got the laptop less than a month ago, it's my first Lenovo. I have to say, my confidence in the brand is not super high right now.

Please help me figure this out!

Dokujaryu
Not applicable
Views: 3,616
Message 2 of 13

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme stuck in Bootloop: "Configuration changed - Restart the system"

I have the same issue for the same reason. I was disabling sound, Bluetooth, fingerprint, in bios and it now boot loops with configuration changed. 

Is there no way to reset the bios? 

zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 3,570
Message 3 of 13

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme stuck in Bootloop: "Configuration changed - Restart the system"

No idea if it will help, but have you tried the emergency reset hole?

Page 5:  https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/p1_x1extreme_ug_en.pdf

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Dokujaryu
Not applicable
Views: 3,562
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what I tried

• Pressing F1 results in loop after saying Configuration Changed, does not go into BIOS. 

• Pressing F12 shows the boot menu successfully, but picking any option results in Configuration Changed loop

• Letting it boot loop for 30 times, hoping it would go away

• Pressing the ER button 10 seconds, flipping it over and trying, results in Configuration Changed loop

• Pressing the ER button several times, then holding it for a long time, then turning it on results in Configuration Changed loop

• Holding the ER button, then also holding power for several seconds, then releasing the power, then releasing the ER button, then starting it results in Configuration Changed loop

After each test I let it boot loop 5 times to see if it would go away, but it does not. 

The only in I have so far is that the boot menu is shown when pressing F12, but selecting any boot option, and any app option results in Configuration Changed loop.

Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 3,504
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Engineers are looking into this and so far they have reported that the trigger appears to be disabling Audio.

@Snowisnej Could you please confirm that audio / sound is something which you had disabled?

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Snowisnej
Not applicable
Views: 3,502
Message 6 of 13

Hi Andy!

I can confirm I indeed disabled audio. So this error is reproducible, good to know I'm not alone. 

Dokujaryu
Not applicable
Views: 3,455
Message 7 of 13

Just to double confirm, the audio is what I disabled as well. 

Dokujaryu
Not applicable
Views: 3,445
Message 8 of 13

Just to be double clear, my issue is on the ThinkPad P1 with a Xeon, not the X1 Extreme. I realize they are practically identical, just wanted to be clear. 

Rydeen
Not applicable
Views: 3,167
Message 9 of 13

Dear Dokujaryu,

There is no differences between P1 and X1 Extreme for Audio I/O Port Disable feature on BIOS Setup.

On the other hand, I'm curious why you had disabled Audio I/O Port on BIOS Setup?   For customer Snowisnej, he seemd to change those settings for Linux troubleshooting.  Is it quite often behavior for Linux users to disable some I/O ports?

sechsterangriff
Not applicable
Views: 3,125
Message 10 of 13

@Rydeen Sometimes it's necessary for troubleshooting, For example when components "refuse" to go into a low power state.
Sometimes it's just a matter of compliance with organization policy, as administrators may want to limit how the computer may be used for security and other reasons. But you should know this, ThinkPads are mainly a business oriented line of laptops.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors