RU

12 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad X1 Extreme (thinkpad x1e) - Speaker Crackle/Noise

2019-07-29, 10:05 AM

Hello,

I've been using Thinkpad X1 Extreme for the past 1.5 months. And now speakers(or only right one I believe) started having an issue with crackled/noise sound on high frequencies. It's almost unusable to listen something with speakers because of how painfull it to the ears. 

Is there anything possible to do with it to fix it? Or replace internal speaker.

Recording with sound:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjqzczipq45xyh1/video_2019-07-29_15-03-27.mp4?dl=0

Options

3 Posts

08-08-2019

SK

5 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme (thinkpad x1e) - Speaker Crackle/Noise

2019-08-08, 8:37 AM
Hello,

I am encountering the very same problem but in a lower scale than you and only on the left speaker. I tried replacing motherboard and speakers by a service technician but the sound problem still persists and it is very annoying. I have tried several audio drivers and my BIOS is updated. Anyone struggling with this problem succeeded in fixing it? Interestingly, I realized that applying pressure with a finger on the chasis where the left speaker is minimizes the vibration coming out of the speaker and the sound quality is thus not affected (but holding your finger on the speaker is not a solution) Many thanks for any help.
Options

3 Posts

07-29-2019

RU

12 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2019-08-08, 9:56 AM

This is sucks. I was about to order speakers part to try to replace it. 

Options

3 Posts

08-08-2019

SK

5 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-08-08, 10:11 AM
I do not know exactly what is the issue with the speaker (funny that in your case it is the right speaker, as you write, in my case it is the left one). First technician visiting me was unable to fix it but he noted that placing rubber around the speaker can minimize vibrations thus lowering the likelihood of the sound being altered. He tried placing a little bit of rubber around I am not sure if I have noticed some changes. The second technician who was fixing my battery issue noted that it might be a chasis issue when the bottom cover is not properly screwed or the speaker is not properly mounted to the motherboard thus causing vibration and resonating sound. It is definitely an issue that should be fixed in an expensive machine like this. Would be nice if more people can confirm that this is an issue.
Options

3 Posts

07-29-2019

RU

12 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2019-10-21, 18:48 PM

So I managed to fix it for now by attaching a part of rubber eraser with a scotch tape. There's no cracking noise anymore, but downside is that the right speaker is a bit quieter than the left one.

https://i.imgur.com/H2MwsCc.png

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete