Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miso3
What's DOS?
Views: 948
Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad X1 Extreme trackpad constantly flaking

I recently purchased a thinkpad x1 extreme and am happy with it in general. The trackpad, however, has friction when i use it and is always flaking off these small white particles. Is this normal? Does it get better with use/do I just have to rub it all out first?IMG_20190619_193640.jpgIMG_20190619_193716.jpgwhite dust-like particles after rubbing the trackpad

I tried reading online about the material and it seems that some people are saying that it is made of glass...is this true? 

I've attached a few pictures to show what i mean about the flaking off of the white dust things. It definitely is coming from the trackpad as I have constantly cleaned it off and it just keeps coming back.

Guru
Views: 932
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme trackpad constantly flaking

If I'm right, those are marks left by your finger nails most likely. Are they long? Do they grind (even if faintly) on the trackpad when you're using it? You can test this by gently grinding your fingernail on it to see if it'll leave that mark.

I'm not sure if that particular model has a glass trackpad, but those are usually the nicest trackpads to have.
miso3
What's DOS?
Views: 923
Message 3 of 11

Hi thanks for helping. These are created even by pressing with my fingers (no finger nails). I don't have long fingernails. Although if I do use my fingernails, it makes a white line where I scratched it, which then can also be rubbed off onto these white dust particles. But even with the trackpad clean (no marks no scratches), the white stuff will start appearing after my finger rubs on it for a while...

Maybe this is just because the trackpad is new? I hope it will get better with time like maybe some thin rubbery film on it is getting rubbed off or something

Guru
Views: 917
Message 4 of 11

It can be hard to notice when your fingernails are actually rubbing off on it, which is why it'll appear after using it for a while (as you unknowingly rub your fingernails on it).

I'm not sure if this issue will go away or not after a while, but the marks look artistic at least. I've seen this before on other trackpads, but it slips my mind whether or not this actually stops.

At worst, you can put some protective coating over it (a small transparent sheet like those to keep scratches off phone screens).

However, from what I've seen, others don't have this issue so you can call Lenovo and see if they can check it out.
stoven
Paper Tape
Views: 851
Message 5 of 11

Hey there, I have the same problem as well with my X1 Extreme. Ever since I received it approximately 2 months ago the same flaking issue has been present on the trackpad and it is quite annoying! I thought that the problem would have gone away after a bit of time, but it still persists. I'm pretty sure that fingernails are not problem too as I have had many people test using the fleshy bits of their fingers to rub on it, and the effect would be similar to rubbing an eraser. Even one of these little bits would make the trackpad feel uncomfortable to use.

I've asked someone else who bought the exact same model 6 months prior and he said that he never once had this issue with his trackpad too, so perhaps its just some manufacture defect, or someone accidentally coated the trackpad with the same coating on the rest of the laptop.

Davis4
Paper Tape
Views: 676
Message 6 of 11

I don't know if your problem still persists, however I have found the solution to the flaking. I called Lenovo hardware warranty department and asked to be sent a new trackpad. They gave me the option to have my computer sent in or they could send me the new part. I choose to have the part sent and installed it myself. There are no great tutorial online how to replace the trackpad, but if you want assistance let me know. The new trackpad they sent works perfectly. 

blueimpala
Blue Screen Again
Views: 405
Message 7 of 11

I have a couple of things to add to this conversation:

First of all, we're not crazy. My current ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Generation has this exact same issue. However, I had purchased one of the exact same model just 10 days prior which had a totally normal, very smooth, trackpad. When I had to return it because of a battery issue, I was given my current one which definitely has this issue. The trackpad is definitely different.

Second of all, I feel almost completely sure that the "flaking" is the skin off of our fingers. I think that the textured surface of the trackpad is much like a fine sandpaper and that the material building up on the track pad is skin being worn off. The trackpad doesn't seem at all worn down from this "flaking." However, after an hour or two of use (and constantly clearing the trackpad of my skin debris), my fingertips feel noticably smoother.

I really hate this defect. It makes it really difficult (and kind of gross) to use the trackpad. I kind of can't believe that I paid so much money for this computer and it has a problem like this.

Bailus
What's DOS?
Views: 336
Message 8 of 11

Have you gotten any more update on this, or found a solution?

I hae the exact same issue.

Also, if i move my finger gently back and forth on the same place it leaves a bright white "stain".

Like.. its a rubber material.

Bailus
What's DOS?
Views: 335
Message 9 of 11

i mean.. it feels like a rubber material Smiley Tongue

blueimpala
Blue Screen Again
Views: 264
Message 10 of 11

I suppose this qualifies as a solution... I purchased a trackpad skin. This company makes skins for all sorts of different models: https://dbrand.com/shop/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-7th-gen-skins

Incredibly frustrating though. What gives with the sandpaper trackpad, Lenovo? I had to buy a $3 sticker to fix your $1,500 computer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors