Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tony115
Paper Tape
Views: 9,801
Message 3 of 25

Thinkpad X1 Extreme weird noise / Fan Noise

I just received X1 Extreme.

Everything works fine and as expected, but there is one thing that keeps bugging me.

It's a weird little electric noise X1E makes.

Here is the electric noise.

I am not sure what causes this noise but I think this happens when the fan starts running.

I don't think the laptop should make this kind of noise since there is no HDD, CD, or other parts that makes noise other than fan.

And fan should not make those electric noise.

Also, I noticed that there is little rattling sound (only noticable when I put my ears very close to bottom of laptop).

The elctric sound happens when heavy-loading and the rattling sound is unnoticeable.

But I am worried if there is some malfunctioning hardware in my laptop.

Does anyone have similar issue? Is this normal?

Admin note: two discussions merged, subjects edited for relevancy

Highlighted
rx273
Punch Card
Views: 9,742
Message 1 of 25

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme weird noise / Fan Noise

I received my X1 Extreme yesterday. So far great machine, but I have niggle with the fans. When testing the machine, the fans kick in as expected, but as well as a general "whoosh" sound of air blowing, which is sort of loud, I also hear a faint high pitched sound that is a little annoying; it is more prevalant in the right fan.

Is this fan loudness and the faint high pitched sound just normal for these fans? I am in two minds whether to return or get someone out to fix it up, only to find it is 'normal' for these laptops. Any thoughts, or experiences from others?

Here is a link of the fan sound I am experiencing.... https://youtu.be/k_Z5zOUMsUM This recording was taken about 15-20cm away from the device on the right side, opposite the power button. You can hear them slowly ramping up, and then ramping down.

Btw the way I am not concerned as to when the fans come, as that is working fine, it is just the sound they are making, in particular the background high pitched sound, and whether they are supposed to be this loud?

eTomcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,693
Message 2 of 25

I had the same issue on my first X1 Extreme, also with the same fan (the oposite of the power button, left when looking at the screen).

I called lenovo support and they said it is not normal and advised to return it and place a new order.

My second laptop (recieved yesterday) is much, much better. I can say I barely hear that type of sound if at all. Only the air which is normal.

It also runs much cooler compared to the first one. Perhaps similar temps but the keyboard and body are much cooler than the first.

It also undervolts better. The first I got down to -145mV. The second -165mV.

If you are hapy with everything else but the fan, you could get the fan replaced under warranty.

If not and you are still within the return period just return it and order a new one.

Good Luck

tony115
Paper Tape
Views: 9,692
Message 4 of 25

Adding to this, I noticed little electric (just like my old computer's hdd reading sound) sound as well when I open programs like chrome.

Flow2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,644
Message 5 of 25

I have this as well. I think it's just the fans running on low speed in the background.

DrAAli
Paper Tape
Views: 9,563
Message 6 of 25

i have the same thing on my new X1 extreme, so may be it's normal ?

MWind
What's DOS?
Views: 9,453
Message 7 of 25

Same problem, any official support?

wen_li
What's DOS?
Views: 9,443
Message 8 of 25

i think that noise produced by fan

Wengod96
What's DOS?
Views: 9,362
Message 9 of 25

Hi, dear friend!

I met the same issue with you. The sound just like your Youtube video. And I have just found this issue had widely concerned with lots of customers. How is your device recently? Does Lenovo fixed your problems? I am waiting this problems to be fixed by official. 

I have done some simple experience which found that the noise problem is caused by the design of the dust guze  

You can split off the guze, and then the sharp noise will be extremely reduced. 

Wengod96
What's DOS?
Views: 9,357
Message 10 of 25

Hi, dear friend, can you show me some of the evidence which can prove the Lenovo Officially admitted this issue? Because my device have the same serious issue, but the Lenovo said this is just in normal condition. They reject to give me refund and change for new.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors