cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JaimeGM
Serial Port
Views: 267
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad X1 P1 external display not recovering correctly from sleep (Thunderbolt, Display Audio)

• P1 i7-8850H, 32GB RAM, Quadro P200 conected to a LG 32UD99-W

Both in Windows 1809 and 1903 when resuming from sleep it will randomly happen that:

• Audio through the external display is lost. Audio device shows a warning mark and you have to disable/enable in device manager to get it back working.
  • External display is no longer recognized (2 times in 24 hours) you have to disable/enable the Nvidia Quadro P2000 in device manager to get it back working. 

Connectivity is unreliable regarding internal graphics, external screens and thunderbolt.

It seems to me that these recurring graphics, display and thunderbolt issues found in P1 X1 machines are related to it.

This is a summary of bios versions with fixes related to issues alike.

<1.21>
UEFI: 1.21 / ECP: 1.10
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where WMI BootDisplayDevice option is incorrect.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might not resume from hibernation on Discrete Graphics mode with Windows10 version 1809.

<1.19>
UEFI: 1.19 / ECP: 1.10
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might BSOD when connected the external monitor.(Note)
NVIDIA Graphics Driver v25.21.14.1735 or later version is required.
<1.18>
UEFI: 1.18 / ECP: 1.08u
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might not boot with Hybrid Graphics.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might not boot when disabled Audio device by ThinkPad Setup on UEFI BIOS version 1.15 and 1.17.
<1.17>
UEFI: 1.17 / ECP: 1.08
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might not boot with Discrete Graphics.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system will black screen under OS environment.
<1.15>
UEFI: 1.15 / ECP: 1.08
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might hang up when Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode is changed on Diagnostics Boot Mode.
<1.13>
<1.12>
<1.10>
<1.09>
<1.08>
<1.07>

JaimeGM
Serial Port
Views: 173
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad X1 P1 external display not recovering correctly from sleep (Thunderbolt, Display Audio)

A litle update to the issue. 

It seems that it has to do with the computer going into hibernate ( or deep sleep ) after a long sleep period

• High Definition Audio Device stops working and requieres a enable/disable to go back working.
  • I still have times that monitor is not even detected.
  • This issue seems to be the same as this one. There are other models suffering from the same.

audio_device_Anotación 2019-06-17 190539.png

JaimeGM
Serial Port
Views: 89
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad X1 P1 external display not recovering correctly from sleep (Thunderbolt, Display Audio)

As for today I've discovered external monitor not switching on after long periods of time is 32UD99-W monitor fault.

There is a setting in the monitor that reads Automatic Standby that will cause the problem. Once the monitor reaches the threshold it will not wake up or recognize the signal in the port it went to sleep. Interestingly It will say that signal is detected in a different input and will prompt you to switch will still connected to the same input. 
It's almost certainly a firmware fault in the monitor.

It' is indeed not necessary to have it enabled as it only performs some kind of force standby whenever it detects that the image didn't change for a long period of time. In a normal scenario the computer would trigger screen saver, black screen or sleep mode. This is therefore not needed.

The monitor will still go to standby normally when no signal is detected.

About the audio. 
I still get the yellow mark at times and need to disable/re-enable the audio device to get it back working.

I will continue with the tests  and update the thread.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors