Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

04-06-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 21 of 34

Re:Thinkpad X1 Xtreme gen 2 adjust screen brightness not working

2020-04-06, 14:18 PM

My screen brightness isn't working either!!

I paid 2200 USD for a laptop which does not work out of the box!

I don't understand why people switch from Mac to Windows-Thinkpad... there is so much Thinkpad hardware which is not compatible with Windows from the start. I have already invested 15 hours in installing drivers, etc. I would have gladly paid 200 USD more for my laptop to be ALREADY working when it arrived, that is that when I press the screen brightness button it dims or brightens as it should! Aiya! This is the first of many problems!

Options

2 Posts

04-03-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 22 of 34

2020-04-06, 22:05 PM

Maybe this is another clue (hoping Lenovo Support sees this)

It seems like Vantage is not picking up this Intel Driver Update. 

Vantage keeps telling me that I need to install this update, but I have already installed it previously, and the device manager even says I have the right version installed.

This exact update, 26.20.100.7529, is the update that address this brightness adjustment issue. Here is the screenshot of the README for this update:

Options

1 Posts

04-07-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 23 of 34

2020-04-07, 7:47 AM

There are pages and pages about this already. I just received my X1 Extreme Gen 2 with OLED screen in the mail today and I was incredibly excited. I went through and performed all the standard updates as I got Windows set up and I'm on 1.28 and I have this exact issue. My OLED screen seems to be stuck at 100% brightness and nothing I do can change it. I literally have to use sunglasses to look at my screen when the background is white. 

Is a custom setup laptoo even returnable? I'm so hugely disappointed in this right now. How is it that this system has been having this problem for over three years and the support team can't fix it? If it had come up in my research I wouldn't have bought this laptop. Is there any fix other than messing with the BIOS?

Options

3 Posts

04-07-2020

Netherlands

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 24 of 34

2020-04-07, 18:47 PM

There is no update for this issue?
Vantage claims to do a update of a driver called : 

Intel Graphics Driver (Windows 10 Version 1709 or Later) - 10 [64] - 26.20.100.7529

to fix the issue... It does NOT.

Somehow it keeps showing the update as needed to be installed, when it also displays it as installed below in vantage!

Tried to install it sever times, it does not fix the problem of brightness.

@ Lenovo I cant believe a premium laptop like my X1 has a issue this long... Just horrible.

Options

1 Posts

04-07-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 0
  • Message 25 of 34

2020-04-07, 21:53 PM

Just adding a "me too" to this thread. It's clear that this issue has been around for a while, and despite following the instructions and updating the drivers, no joy and sore eyes. 

Options

1 Posts

04-09-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 26 of 34

2020-04-09, 3:22 AM

I have had my X1 Extreme Gen 2 with OLED display for about 3 weeks now.  The brightness adjustment worked at first and then broke.  Now I can't get it to work with F5/F6 keys, nor with the slider adjustment under the notifications tab.

I have had the same issue with the Vantage app trying to update the Intel driver that is supposed to fix the issue.  However, every time I try to install the new driver through the Vantage app, it just keeps showing up as an update that still needs to be installed.

I even trying to install the updated Intel driver directly from the Intel website, but it says that you have to use your manufacturer's update tool (which doesn't work).

So I'm stuck with a $2,000 plus ThinkPad that I can't even use without sunglasses.  I have owned 10+ ThinkPads over the years and have never had an issue like this.

Is Lenovo even monitoring their own chats to find and solve these issues?  I'm sure they have received plenty of calls as well, since this appears to be a widespread issue.

If they don't get this fixed soon this will be my last Lenovo.  

Options

3 Posts

04-07-2020

Netherlands

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 27 of 34

2020-04-09, 8:06 AM

Trying to get Lenovo to notice via twitter, please like and retweet:

Go to https://twitter.com/MennoPP/status/1248158435243368448?s=20
Options

5 Posts

04-01-2020

Canada

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 28 of 34

2020-04-11, 4:59 AM

Well, this seems to be a regular issue. I have been getting the same driver (on an OLED version of the laptop) issue as everyone here and no amount of uninstalling/reinstalling made a diference. Eventually I came across a different thread which suggested a registry edit. Plodding around there for a while eventually fixed it. Below is my response to that thread but with one change. Looks like both registry entries need to be at the value shown for the fix to work. It may be best to seach for all instances of LFPBrightnessControl and LFP_NITRangeCount and ensure that they are all at the right values.

Please post back if this solution works for anyone else.

---------------------------

I have been struggling with this screen brightness issue for over two weeks and tried a few different methods that worked for others with no luck. The tip by @CrystalOu about making some changes to the registry got me to the right spot in that big mess. Although changing LFP_NitRangeCount_30AE414100000000001D=257 didn't fix the problem, the parameter just above it was LFP_Brightness_Control which was set to 0. Changing this to a 1 and restarting solved the issue right away.

Hence, the process for trying this method would be:

• start the Run command window by pressing WindowsKey+R simultaneously
  • type "regedit" and click OK
  • Under the Edit menu, select Find and search for LFP_Brightness_Control
  • Make sure that it is set to 1 then close RegEdit and restart
Options

3 Posts

04-07-2020

Netherlands

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 29 of 34

2020-04-11, 13:30 PM

Thank YOU so much!
Going to Regedit
Changing LFP_NitRangeCount_30AE414100000000001D=257
+
LFP_Brightness_Control set to 1 and restarting solved the issue!

Options

6 Posts

07-25-2016

United States of America

16 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 30 of 34

2020-04-16, 19:28 PM

The two-registry-setting change fixed the problem for me as well. THANK YOU! I had not wanted to bother running through the series of flaming hoops that Lenovo Support had proposed I follow (and would likely have ended in failure). 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms