Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrooksOlney
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,591
Message 1 of 26

Thinkpad X1 Yoga (1st Gen) BIOS Problem

Hello,

I recently updated my BIOS for this laptop to the current version (1.40), and now I'm having problems with the stability of my system (god do I regret it). I used this update utility here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds111756 

Now, whenever I start up my system, a Thinkvantage screen pops up briefly, followed by a screen that says "(A7) Me FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed". I can manage to boot into either OS I have on here after that. But, when I put the laptop into sleep mode, upon waking it will just have a blank screen, followed by 4 beeps in short succession of each other, 4 times. The only way to get past this is to power down the laptop via holding the power button, and then rebooting back into the same instance of behavior described above. 

I haven't had much luck finding any solutions, and I'm a little afraid to try anything since I don't want to completely brick my system. Looking for any suggestions, please. Thank you for your time.

~ Brooks

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,552
Message 2 of 26

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga (1st Gen) BIOS Problem

I haven't had this problem on my X1 Yoga 1st gen but these are the troubleshooting steps that I would try.  

1.  reboot and Press F1 to enter BIOS setup, then press F9 to load setup defaults and F10 to save/exit

2.  if problem still not fixed, go back into BIOS setup, Security -> UEFI BIOS Update Option menu, and change "Secure Rollback Prevention" to Disabled.  F10 to save/exit.  Then boot to Windows and try to flash back to the previous BIOS version which you can get from here and scroll to the bottom:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds111756

3.  If problem still not fixed, try to re-flash the ME firmware which you can get here:  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS112240

BrooksOlney
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,542
Message 3 of 26

Thank you for the reply, someotherguy.

I tried what you said in #1 already, but gave it another try to no avail. For #2, I tried a rollback to BIOS version 1.39, and this did not work. Should I try any other previous versions before trying option #3?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,540
Message 4 of 26

When you said rollback to 1.39 did not work.  Do you mean that the rollback was successful but the problem still happens?  Or that you could not successfully rollback to 1.39?

BrooksOlney
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,529
Message 5 of 26

I was successfully able to flash back to version 1.39 of the BIOS, but the problem still persists. When viewing the diagnostics splashscreen, it now says BIOS version is 1.39 instead of 1.40. 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,516
Message 6 of 26

At this point I would move onto step #3 and try reflashing the ME firmware.

BrooksOlney
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,510
Message 7 of 26

I went through this option and followed the instructions. It doesn't appear to have solved the problem and I'm not sure it accomplished anything. A black cmd prompt was open saying "Installing ME Firmware" or something like that, then my laptop rebooted and the problem was still there. Do you need more information?
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,508
Message 8 of 26

Please try this:

1.  open a command prompt as administrator

2.  enter this command:   cd \drivers\win\me

3.  enter this command:   notepad meupdate.cmd

4.  scroll down to the bottom and delete the line that says "Shutdown.exe -r -t 10"   (this is the line that causes the computer to reboot)

5.  save the file

6.  enter this command:  meupdate.cmd

Take a screenshot of the output and post it here

BrooksOlney
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,503
Message 9 of 26

update_output.PNG

BrooksOlney
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,502
Message 10 of 26

Appears there is an issue, couldn't see the output before a reboot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors