cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkPadYogaMan
Paper Tape
Views: 772
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad X1 Yoga (1st Gen, Oled) WWAN lie by Microsoft and Lenovo.

Does anyone have a 1st gen X1 Yoga that is cellular ready? Mine has been nothing but trouble. 

Bought laptop at Microsoft Store in Stanford Shopping Center with my son on 1/7/17. I was told by sales person that the ThinkPad was cellular ready. Well, after spending two days on the phone with customer service at Microsoft, Lenovo, and Verizon I have learned that Microsoft's sales person lied to me about the X1 being cellular ready, Microsoft's extended warranty is worthless, Lenovo tech support and Verizon tech support know nothing about this machine or how it works. I spent 3 hours Monday and 5 hours Tuesday with tech support from each and no one has resolved my problem. After reading a few posts, I discovered that lenovo sells these with sim slots even though they are not cellular ready. What is the purpose of having a sim slot then? This is fraudulent. I'm returning the computer at Microsoft Store.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 742
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga (1st Gen, Oled) WWAN lie by Microsoft and Lenovo.

Good day and welcome to the community.

Sorry you're having difficulty.

In my personal experience, a ThinkPad that is described as cellular/broadband-ready has meant that it had a SIM card slot and that it had the appropriate broadband antennae installed, but did not have a WWAN card installed. That is left to the purchaser to do. One exception (there may be others) to that would be when a purchaser configures a ThinkPad on the Lenovo sales site, and selects the optional WWAN card. That machine would come as cellular/broadband-equipped, requiring only the customer's SIM card.

Again, this is my personal experience.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

ThinkPadYogaMan
Paper Tape
Views: 700
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for your response sarbin. I should have known better than to have trusted the Microsoft Store salesperson. In my mind this seems deliberate on Lenovo's and Microsoft's part because this forum community had discussed this very issue several times since 2015 and yet both have done nothing to anticipate this issue and clerify that "a ThinkPad that is described as cellular/broadband-ready has meant that it had a SIM card slot and that it had the appropriate broadband antennae installed". Come on Lenovo... your better than this...  who goes to a Microsoft Store seeking a cellular ready laptop only to buy one that requires the costumer to intall a WWAN card?

Answer: Me, because I trusted the Microsoft Brand and Lenovo Brand to stand for quality, knowledgable sales staff and a commitment to customers. I won't make this mistake again.

What the heck is a WANN card anyway?

Good grief, this has been a miserable experience.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 687
Message 4 of 7

ThinkPadYogaMan wrote:

What the heck is a WANN card anyway?

WWAN = Wireless Wide Area Network, aka Wireless Broadband

It's a card similar to the WiFi/WLAN card in the machine, except that it has the cellular radio(s) and frequencies.

Regards.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

ThinkPadYogaMan
Paper Tape
Views: 671
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for your response regarding WWAN.

Now to the X1 user guide and this forum to research which WWAN is compatible with Verizon and determine whether I can do this myself.

ThinkPadYogaMan
Paper Tape
Views: 668
Message 6 of 7

Well I found on an earlier forum response from "kckckckc" (Lenovo Employee) that my only choice is to return the X1 and order it from Lenovo with a WWAN. See the employee's response below...

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga WWAN

[ Edited ]

The X1 Yoga is not upgradeable to WWAN after it leaves the factory.  The convertible/Yoga design changes the FCC requirements when in tablet mode, so the antenna can't be added by the user, as it would require recert by FCC due to changes in electronic emmissions. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 643
Message 7 of 7

I don't have an X1 Yoga, so I can't comment on whether the info you've read applies to all of them, but as I mentioned, in my experience, cellular/broadband-ready has indicated that the antennae were already installed.

If you'd like to double-check, and you're willing to remove the bottom cover, you could see if the antennae leads are in the empty WWAN card space. If they are, you'd only need the card. Keep in mind, that it needs to be a card that carries the Lenovo FRU number. A generic version of the same card will not likely work.

From the X1 Yoga FRU parts list: https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/x1yoga_frubom_20160720.pdf it looks like you need FRU P/N: 00JT542 (2nd to last line on last page). You can use that P/N at the maintenance parts site: http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/default/PromotionDisplay?storeId=2607... to check availability and cost.

Have a look at pages 61-64 and pages 66-67 of the hardware manual: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1carbon_mt20fb-20fc_x1yoga_hmm_en_sp40j72016.pdf to see what's involved in opening up the machine.

Hope this helps, whatever you decide.

Regards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors