Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dschex2
Paper Tape
Views: 932
Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2G & Thunderbolt Dock beeps upon boot

In the last month I purchased a Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2G and the Thuderbolt USB C dock.

Since the USB C cable that comes with the dock is too short to allow the dock on the right and laptop on the left (in laptop mode), I put the notebook in tent mode and all works fine---except...

Everytime I power up from hibernate it starts beeping about once a second and does not stop.

I have to disconnect from the dock, flip it to laptop mode (this is where the beeping stops), return it to tent mode, and then plug the dock back in.

It seems that Lenovo, like everybody else, is rushing things to market with plans to fix bugs later (maybe).

Any thoughts I how to stop the beeping?  The first time it happened I closed all the apps to reboot and it still was beeping.

Thanks.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 892
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2G & Thunderbolt Dock beeps upon boot

Dear customer,

development team confirmed the symptom with older Thunderbolt software.

However, ty also confirmed the symptom disappeared when update the latest Thunderbolt softwar v16.3.61.257.

Please visit below to update the software.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 886
Message 3 of 11

hi...

Go to Lenovo's support website and download the latest bios (it's not yet in the Lenovo update apps). If you've enabled 512 mb for the video card, you must change the Thunderbolt security level as the default level and 512 are incompatible and make that beep when you press FN at boot time. Temporarily change it back to 256, lower the Thunderbolt security level and then change it back to 512. ....

dschex2
Paper Tape
Views: 825
Message 4 of 11

I loaded the latest software for the thuderbolt dock and it still beeps upon waking from hibernation.  

Also, I don't have to disconnect from the dock to stopp the beeping.  While still connected, I flip to laptop mode then back to tent mode and the beeping stops.

Also, I only have 128MB dedicated video, so I don't think the other solution applies.  What bios needs to be updated?  Does that still matter?

Any other thoughts?

dschex2
Paper Tape
Views: 771
Message 5 of 11

Hello....anybody?

This is the best Lenovo can do.  A laptop that beeps continuously when attached to a USB-C dock?

jsandb
Paper Tape
Views: 754
Message 6 of 11

I have the same problem, it seems like windows thinks a several buttons are held down and i think that is why it beeps. Flipping around and back while dock stops the beeping. TB3-dock here. 

Geniusloci
What's DOS?
Views: 409
Message 7 of 11

I know this thread is old but I have the same problem.

If I shutdown in tent mode power back on (or do a restart in tent mode) the beeping starts as soon as the login screen comes up.

I can stop the beeping by folding the screen to the traditional laptop set-up and then folding the screen back into tent mode.

There is never any beeping if I start the laptop and run it in a traditional laptop set-up.  If I startup in a traditional laptop set-up and then rotate to tent mode I do not have the beeping problem.

Any updates on this Lenovo?

OGBobbyJohnson
What's DOS?
Views: 320
Message 8 of 11

Same issue as stated above, also same half-fast resolution (fold screen stops beeping). C'mon Lenovo really?

jgator311
What's DOS?
Views: 87
Message 9 of 11

A user already touched on the fix. That beeping is because some keys are stuck on your keyboard. This is a known issue. Look all over your keyboard (the laptop keyboard) for stuck keys. For me it was F9-F12. I simply had to press them a couple times, they popped up to same height as rest of keys and noise stopped.

dschex2
Paper Tape
Views: 84
Message 10 of 11

Wow--a response a year later.  I don't have stuck keys.

When I boot up in laptop mode, no beeps.  When I boot up in tent mode, it beeps until I flip the screen the laptop and then back to tent.

This is a software issue--one I wish Lenovo would fix.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors