Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

02-11-2018

Switzerland

5 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 151 of 183

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (2017) OLED screen flickering on low brightness

2020-01-06, 8:11 AM

That is really sad. Being a robotics engineer I ordered a 250USD OLED screen directly from china. Lets hope it works reasonably. Given its a 3500USD laptop its worth a try. My last x1 is still up and running after 7 years and a few repairs, and is the machine I use now. 

I will  post when it arrives

Options

18 Posts

03-02-2018

Canada

18 Signins

184 Page Views

• Views: 184
  • Message 152 of 183

Re:Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (2017) OLED screen flickering on low brightness

2020-05-21, 20:37 PM

Hi guys! I am back!!! LOL :) 

Just can't believe my luck....3rd (3) time now for me with an OLED flickering green screen within 3 years! Luckily my extended warranty doesn't expire for another 3 weeks (the Gods were nice to me by showing me this flickering before the warranty expired!) 

Just so you can remember, I bought this computer in June 2017:

• 1st issue - 2018/03 - Screen flickering + grey bar on bottom (sent to Lenovo and screen replaced)
  • 2nd issue - 2019/02 - Screen flickering + grey bar on bottom (sent to Lenovo and screen replaced)
  • 3rd issue - 2020/05 - Screen flickering (contacted Lenovo.....send back again?!?!?! )

Now just got off the phone with a nice Lenovo Rep, and was told that the solution to fix my OLED screen issue will be to.... replace it again?!? (Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing and expecting a different result!) 

Err, I think if I have an OLED screen not working every year....then maybe just putting another one back in isn't what the definition of "fixing" is really supposed to mean? Person at Lenovo unfortunately disagrees....if the new screen works for 90 days (only warranty on this repair) then Lenovo thinks the problem  is fixed! Thank God Lenovo doesn't fix my car's brakes! LOL 

I tried every way to negotiate a better "solution"....trade up for a different model, put a different screen technology in.....but to no avail! So my friends, I will be sending back my computer for another screen replacement, and look forward to chatting with you all again (in a year or less!).  

Stay safe my friends....and pray the Green flickering screen stays away from you! 

PS. Writing this little rant has been incredibly therapeutic....but I am still annoyed with myself  since I paid a lot of money 3 years ago for this model! 

Options

18 Posts

03-02-2018

Canada

18 Signins

184 Page Views

• Views: 184
  • Message 153 of 183

2020-05-21, 21:17 PM

OK guys....just now noticed "the grey bar of doom"! on my OLED.....I have to admit that at least the OLEDs crash in a predictable manner.....LENOVO gets credit for consistency!

Too bad there are no laws yet on making "planned obsolescence" illegal!

Options

2 Posts

05-27-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 154 of 183

2020-05-27, 6:12 AM

I think the microsoft oled driver helps.  Warning, use the dec 2019 and don't even try the older one which seemed to make everything worse.

Page 15 has 

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (2017) OLED screen flickering on low brightness

2019-12-14, 9:24 AM

Windows support team came to rescue and they provided with upto driver for Intel OLED Panel Driver - https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=intel%20oled%20panel

extract and then goto device manager montior oled update driver browse to extract location.  Select from list and use 17 dec 2019.

I have a yoga gen 1.  I reseated the connectors about five times.

When I was completely screwed I moved windows to the bottom of the screen so I could read them and then uninstalled the intel video and deleted the drivers.

I then had used lenovo advantage to relaod it.  This took forever and I was forced to watch the screen flash for 15 minutes but it didn't appear to do any damage.

Everyone says the solution is a new screen anyway.

Still was getting about one lucky boot out of 10.

I've tried the panel refresh on and off.  I've tried fast start on and off.  I tried hibernate on close the lid.

Here's where I'm at.

It is still there almost every time but I figured out that sleep mode is my friend.

Once you get past it the screen does not appear to be damaged.

Here's how I'm getting past it.

If the machine starts up and its there you wait for the unlock window.  if you hit esc you get a power button on the lower right.  

It is hard to read with the flashing but there is a sleep selection on that menu.

If you put the machine to sleep and then use the power button to restart, at least on my machine that fixes the flashing and I can use the machine.

I also just went into startup and turned off intel graphics command center (you don't need it to turn of panel refresh as it is under power in the 

intel graphics settings under power).

I now just uninstalled the app to get rid of the startup entry.

I also turned off Bing at startup.

Likely bing is the one that has been cooking my machine.  it is not even hot right now.

I turned sleep back on for closing the lid but I'll likely stick with the esc and select at the lock screen.

The Lenovo oled machines need intel drivers for the oled monitor and video graphics to be matched.

I think this is the root of the problem.

I only happened to notice "monitor" in device manager where I found the oled screen and realized I needed a driver.  That led me to the link to microsoft.

I've seen some other behavior that makes me believe this is software.  At one point lenovo red on black would come up fine and only start to flash about half way

to the lock screen.

When I put close the lid on hibernate it would be flashing but I would catch the "hibernating" grey screen and rotating dots looking perfectly fine right before the screen
shut off.

For those who say this happened right after a windows update I'm in the same boat.  I think it was that also.

However as we all know the panic of seeing a multi-thousand dollar machine looking like it might catch on fire is not conducive to taking notes about what might

have caused it.

It is beyond irresponsible of lenovo not to be supporting their computers.  I've seen statements that this is only a gen 1 and gen 2 problem.

My response is wait a year.

If they did it to us they'll do it to the next guys.

That is why they need to kick the asses of their support team to fix this so they'll be prepared if it starts happening on the newer machines.

The one thing I'll complement them on is the captured hardware.  It helps when you have to take the bottom of the machine 20 times.

I reseated connectors, moved wires not to interfere with connectors, and even went back in and made absolutely sure the white line was perfectly matched 
to the motherboard's white line (a total pain to hold the connector out two hair widths and level while trying to lock it down).  Forgot the motherboard screw I had to 
take out to move a wire, etc.

Hopefully the sleep trick can get you up and running until they unscrew this mess.

At least my machine isn't melting anymore.

Good luck to all.  I can limp for a bit until they update drivers and fix this.

Options

2 Posts

05-27-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 155 of 183

2020-05-28, 16:13 PM

Reseat the laptop battery power connector a few times. 

So far I've only seen two anomalies after 4 shut downs and 9 restarts. 

If you have to live with screen flicker you can change the power button to turn off the display in windows settings.   This allows you to cycle the display until it stops flickering. 

Then you go past the startup screen.   Make sure to leave the other as "shut down".  I did it for plugged in as that is how I use my laptop most of the time.   I can just unplug if I need the power button to hard shut down the machine (didn't need this so far). 

I've read a dry qtip helps to clean a lithium battery connector which is on my list if it comes back (NO SOLVENTS!). 

I'm having almost no startup flickering so I'll dry swab the connector later. 

There are videos for your laptop model on the lenovo website. 

You have to hunt a bit but you'll see one to remove the bottom cover and one showing them connecting the battery (so you don't damage anything). 

A six inch plastic ruler works great as a separation tool. 

The easiest place start to pop off bottom cover (after loosening the screws) is at the back to the outside of the hinges. 

For tightening I found doing the corner screws last helpful. 

A trick on screw tightening is to untighten till you feel a click (the threads just dropped so you should not be cross threaded). 

I've always been bothered by the white flash at startup which used to be fist sized on the lower right but changed recently to between 1/3 and 1/2 the lower screenThen the flicker started. 

I remember the laptop sliding off the couch so something might have gotten jostled. 

I tried many combinations of settings but concluded none would fix the issue. 

I reseated display cables multiple times. 

Lenovo says a work around is to turn off panel refresh. 

I've turned it back on now because I got a flicker after reseating the battery so I want all the factory settings. 

Why the battery?  I know that connector contacts can build up a film on them over time. 

This causes a lot of equipment to be removed and replaced with no fault found. 

Essentially this is what gremlins are (my opinion). 

So reseating all connectors involved in case they had a film on them would include the battery. 

The only software change to my machine is a microsoft oled driver dated 17 December 2019 on page 15 of a lenove x1 yoga gen 2 flicker thread on the lenovo site. 

Lenovo vantage currently says everything is up to date. 

I don't want to risk uninstalling the oled driver to get the machine all the way back to prove it was the battery connector all along. 

Please post and let people know if the battery connector reseat works. 

I still saw the issue a few times but this could be related to fast start setting. 

Hopefully reseating the battery works but if you have to live with it you can cycle the display on and off with the power button. 

good luck

Options

7 Posts

09-09-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 156 of 183

2020-07-15, 17:02 PM
q_q This issue happend to me about two years ago ... I felt baaad for this amazing screen ... I left it for a while inside laptop bag ... maybe it needs a time for curing ... After a year I started it and its amazing ... I see this honest black screen again and it is running like a champ ... later I restared the machine and ... Yes :( ... Last week I shipped the machine to repair ... I think they are called CSAT ... in Houston ... I really was hoping for replacing the machine.with another model ... But they said repair completed and it is shipped back to you ... I bought this machine and shipped it to my country ... And now sent to US to repair .. I cannot handle international shipping and paying a high cost ...nearly buying a new machine cost... Messaging them now for replacing the model ... :(
Options

29 Posts

11-02-2017

United Arab Emirates

44 Signins

290 Page Views

• Views: 290
  • Message 157 of 183

2020-07-15, 17:07 PM

You better off replacing the screen with a non-OLED display. The replacement OLED will simply "break" again in the not so distant future. We have had over 500 replaced since the Yoga 1st Gen batch was purchased. Our devices are thankfully covered under and extended enterprise warranty. The screens are now being replaced with non-OLED displays which do not fail. 

Options

12 Posts

12-12-2019

India

12 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 158 of 183

2020-07-15, 17:11 PM

Don't waste your time on this laptop (I invested 2.5 years in troubeshooting without any luck), just dispose it and go for a new one - non Lenovo brand. Lenovo should realise that customers are not their test laboratories and the company cannot take them for granted.

Options

33 Posts

01-05-2011

Colombia

259 Signins

589 Page Views

• Views: 589
  • Message 159 of 183

2020-07-15, 18:24 PM

Interesting the non-oled screen option. Could you please let us know reference, part number of the non-Oled Screen. 

Options

7 Posts

09-09-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 160 of 183

2020-07-15, 18:38 PM
I asked them to replace the machine with a None OLED machine ... Waiting for their response ... The machine was expensive ... throwing it away is hard ... This is my first Lenovo machine ... If they didnt replace the machine ... I am afraid this will be the first and the last machine ever I buy from Lenovo ... It is a design defective model , why should I encounter all these hassles ... I didnt had a headache like this one with all brands I bought from them before ... I do not understand why they still replacing the screens while they know it will break again ... Did they produced a large amount and they want to use them at any cost ? Fixing the bad part in the screens is not a choice ? I want to cry 😢 ... I missing using a pc for several months .... hate using those small phone screens for daily use ...
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms