Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

12-12-2019

India

12 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 161 of 183

Re:Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (2017) OLED screen flickering on low brightness

2020-07-16, 2:04 AM
Well, all the facts are already available in Lenovo community forum plus their existing service database. If the company had fair intentions, it would have recalled defective machines worldwide and replaced with the corrected model by now. Data statistics and reports are already auto collected by their service platform. Service is no more with IBM who will make sure that 'ThinkPad' brand is upto its mark, now its owned & maintained by Lenovo China. They are replacing OLED within warranty period since they are bound by legal rules otherwise that also will not happen. I am residing in India and have been approaching multiple teams in Lenovo India with the same issue since the day this laptop was purchased. If you are really wishing for your piece of mind and want to work without disruption, I would suggest to just switch to non-china brands like HP or DELL.
Options

7 Posts

09-09-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 162 of 183

2020-07-16, 18:39 PM
Waste of money ... Definitely I will Not buy anither Lenovo machine ... Not for the issue itself ... But for the bad support they are providing , they are repairing so quick , but in the wrong way . I was thinking of paying 126$ for extended warranty since my warranty is expiring about two weeks later , But I guess I will sell this junk on ebay and tell the peaple what happend and what they are buying ...
Options

1 Posts

10-19-2020

China

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 163 of 183

2020-10-19, 8:32 AM

I have a X1 Yoga 1st Gen(2016) OLED have the very same problem. and eventually the screen cant been light up. so I brought a new Oled screen and replaced it early this year(2020). however last week I found the same problem happen again on my new screen. So I tried to replace the new screen with the old one, Voila the old one works just fine . So I packed up the new screen and hoping maybe after 9 months it will work normal. And I still dont know the reason why both the oled screen start to flickering. I tried to heat, reconnect adjust intel PWM, they all failed. but only time can mend this magically! 

Options

29 Posts

11-02-2017

United Arab Emirates

44 Signins

290 Page Views

• Views: 290
  • Message 164 of 183

2020-10-19, 12:19 PM

The only real solution is a non-OLED display For this model. 

Options

9 Posts

09-22-2016

Netherlands

21 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 165 of 183

2021-03-16, 1:34 AM

This is the solution that worked for me: Lenovo finally declared that this model has a design flaw, and they offered me a trade-in.

If your laptop has this OLED panel flicker too, I suggest you tell them this and ask to trade it in for another model. I have the emails if anyone needs it.

The full story: after having presented Lenovo Japan with the same flickering issue for the 6th time, they finally admitted that there is a fundamental flaw with the model. Why this only happened the 6th time, rather than the 2nd or 3rd which is much more sensible, was all due to a rogue engineer. This person must've decided that it was definitely not in their personal interest to swallow their pride and report the reoccurring issue to their higher-ups, until they couldn't keep up the farce anymore.

But the travesty goes on: when their Tech department finally got the report, they "have finally admitted that the OLED panel has some kind of issue. The root cause of the issue, however, remains unknown that they fear that just replacing it may let the issue comes back." However rather than offering me a trade-in which I had asked for ("we do not have the service to do so for the overseas-designed products"), they forced the non-choice of having the OLED replaced with an LCD (the other 2 BS choices were another OLED replacement or contacting the original retailer). And they insisted on only giving me 1 week to see if it works, because they didn't have the confidence that it could keep on working beyond that week. I was willing to accept my loss and only ask for 7 months instead (that's how long 1 OLED panel has lasted at most), but they refused that without second thought. I proposed a compromise, that they would test the laptop for 1680 hours instead, but by the swiftness by which they refused that too it was clear that they were already aware that it would not last longer than 1 week.

All their reactions just boiled down to 'be a bit more grateful to us that we're even willing to offer you this LCD replacement which we've never done before', and 'just take it and disappear, and then it's not our responsibility anymore'. I tried to file a complaint about their attitude, but they flatly rejected the complaint itself too, as if I've asked for something ridiculously preposterous. It was clear that they just didn't care about their customers.

Now Lenovo EMEA on the other hand (the region where I had originally purchased the laptop) were much more understanding. Very refreshing after all the lack of professional integrity from my local Lenovo customer support. They needed some time to look into the matter, but with Lenovo Japan having already declared that the OLED panel had a fundamental issue, they were able to offer me a trade-in. I now have a 5th generation X1 Yoga with a normal display; we'll have to see but I am hoping that this model will turn out more reliable in the field. That is how you do customer support, Lenovo Japan.

Some more background: I work in customer service at a tech company. I regularly approve of spare parts under warranty that are more expensive than this laptop. There is no excuse for Lenovo Japan's incompetence and unhelpful attitude.

Options

18 Posts

07-11-2017

Spain

30 Signins

226 Page Views

• Views: 226
  • Message 166 of 183

2021-03-16, 14:31 PM

Thank you for taking the time to update us all. 

I continue to have mixed feelings around this because apparently my brand emotional attachment is very high. Especially after Tecra was gone which was to me, confess I am a bit old, the only serious contender. Continue to see the innovation coming from Lenovo.... just as from Samsung (which if not mistaken used to manufacture the screens for Lenovo and Apple) and believe they are clearly ahead of the pack.

Still I truly believe that the screen problems are a combination of root cause problems driving a bad low level programming and disconnects in between drivers, mother board and some screen versions. Given the number of variants, versions, etc.... and the complexity of the subject, extremely unlikely to be solved... still if my conjecture were to be right.

To that it adds the fact that making them thinner, lighter and yet resistant is a true challenge... wonder if the old resistance test they used to pass, is still the same, because also screen problems come from excessive pressure on the panels....

Finally... given the time that we spend in front of computers, I rather invest a bit more in a PC than in a car for what I can get, and feel soooo frustrated on the quality even of the most premium brands....

Anyway... thanks!

Options

11 Posts

09-19-2015

Canada

24 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 167 of 183

2021-03-16, 23:15 PM

Yeah, I know all about time "mending" this thing. I've long since bought a replacement for my Yoga 2nd generation laptop with the defective OLED but I still keep it around because sometimes it works just fine. Like every few days, the screen can come back to life and it can stay that way for some random length of time of between 3 minutes and 3 weeks. So I guess that means I can never just toss it in the recycling bin. I will say this about that OLED screen - when it worked/works that is BY FAR the best display I've ever seen on a laptop!

Options

27 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

31 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 168 of 183

2021-03-18, 22:41 PM

This was an unfortunate blow to Lenovo's QC. I really wanted to experience this OLED screen because of all the rave reviews but heeded the warnings and went FHD on all my units, which seem like a very nice viewing experience also. I can only imagine how great the OLED is.

~ Digital Audio Workstation Life ~
Options

2 Posts

12-01-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 27
  • Message 169 of 183

2021-03-20, 9:32 AM

Hi

I am having trouble with a Lenovo Yoga X1 Gen 1 (OLED) screen - the flashing is dreadful and mostly unreadable (i may get afew moments on starting up... but not long before the dreadful flashing and discolouration spreads across the whole screen)

I have tried a few things eg renewing the driver and making sure the updates are done - but the screen is so bad I cant get into Safe mode

I am thinking a replcement of the screen is going to be nneeded (by all accounts)but cantseem to find anything of a reasonable price.

Is there a compatible LCd I can use??

Where did you get your from?

My laptop code is type 20FR  (I wonder if type 20 FQ might fit)

Thanks

Rita

Options

12 Posts

12-12-2019

India

12 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 170 of 183

2021-03-20, 10:05 AM

Hi Rita,

I have the same model with me and I have already replaced the OLED thrice (1 in warranty and 2 by myself using paid service). I would strongly recommend you to scrap this machine and better spend your hard earned money on a non-lenovo laptop. This company is no longer following the quality benchmarks & customer service of IBM. I know its hard to digest 2000 USD loss but this is what it is. There are excellent models available of other leading brands at half the price.

Thanks & regards,

Nikhil

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms