Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-26-2021

Canada

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 171 of 183

Re:Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (2017) OLED screen flickering on low brightness

2021-06-26, 2:01 AM

Guys, i have a solution and it is so stupid you won't believe it.

When that happens, shutdown the computer and then flip the laptop in tablet mode

put the laptop under your shirt, against your tummy, like put the glass against your skin

then, take a pillow and put a gentle pressure on the laptop so that your skin can transfer body heat to the screen

stay in that position for about 10 minutes.

Then, boot up your computer and the flicker will be gone for some time.

The issue is caused by temperature changes inside the screen, something happens in the oled screen and it can only be reversed by heating the glass directly.

I tried with a heater and it takes forever and sometimes it just didn't work. it almost works every time when i do the direct heat transfer with the glass.

I noticed this because it gets really cold over here during winters and when the laptop would get cold, the flicker would become really intense and then attenuate throughout the day. This fix has made the laptop usable once again and while this is a dumb issue that lenovo couldn't figure out and fix (they changed the screen on this laptop twice), at least this mitigation does work and allows me to use the laptop for long period of times with the issue only reappearing when the glass gets too cold.

It's like if the issue gets triggerred when the screen reaches a certain temperature and then it doesn't get back to normal until the screen gets heated.

Hope that helps someone

Options

28 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

32 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 172 of 183

2021-06-27, 12:41 PM

@ Ircluzar wrote:

Guys, i have a solution and it is so stupid you won' believe it.

When that happens, shutdown the computer and then flip the laptop in tablet mode

put the laptop under your shirt, against your tummy, like put the glass against your skin

then, take a pillow and put a gentle pressure on the laptop so that your skin can transfer body heat to the screen

stay in that position for about 10 minutes.

Then, boot up your computer and the flicker will be gone for some time.

The issue is caused by temperature changes inside the screen, something happens in the oled screen and it can only be reversed by heating the glass directly.

I tried with a heater and it takes forever and sometimes it just didn' work. it almost works every time when i do the direct heat transfer with the glass.

I noticed this because it gets really cold over here during winters and when the laptop would get cold, the flicker would become really intense and then attenuate throughout the day. This fix has made the laptop usable once again and while this is a dumb issue that lenovo couldn' figure out and fix (they changed the screen on this laptop twice), at least this mitigation does work and allows me to use the laptop for long period of times with the issue only reappearing when the glass gets too cold.

It' like if the issue gets triggerred when the screen reaches a certain temperature and then it doesn' get back to normal until the screen gets heated.

Hope that helps someone

If this is true, then they must have missed it with the Mil-Spec extreme temperature testing on OLED models.

~ Digital Audio Workstation Life ~
Options

12 Posts

12-12-2019

India

12 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 173 of 183

2021-06-27, 13:47 PM

I stay in Bangalore, India where temperatures are 20 to 30 degrees celsius round the year so I don't think this is to do anything with OLED screen temperature. This OLED yoga Generation 2 laptop has inherent manufacturing defect and the only way to get rid of the problem is to get rid of Lenovo machines. Now the company is no more with IBM so please do not expect Thinkpad's brand performance and after sales service as it used to be during IBM's tenure. I am using HP OLED laptop for the last more than 1.5 years and it has been performing well. Also, I don't think court cases are going to solve any of consumer issues, Lenovo as a company would have already invested enough with law firms to keep themselves covered, hence they have been replacing defective OLED screen with defective OLED spares already manufactured just to buy time and get over with the issue all across the world.

If you are really looking for solution, then without wasting any further time, just scrap your Lenovo machine and shift to some other leading brands in the market. Company will only understand when their world wide sales are hit.

Options

7 Posts

01-02-2009

France

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 174 of 183

2021-06-27, 14:54 PM

It would be better if u try to do some research first before saying nonsense.

The panel in the X1 Yoga OLED gen 1 and 2 have been manufactured by Samsung.

They shipped the same panel in HP and Razor machine if i recall well.

I checked the forum for these machines: similar problem appear.

It is a panel problem. It dies after 9-15 months.

Hard for Lenovo to know that before having a year long sell of this panel. Hence they could only remove the option for X1Y3.

Now, what is unfortunate is that Lenovo as a whole didnt recall all the machine with this screen to propose an exchange. They should have.

However, I dont think that HP or razor did it either, so the particular brand is not the issue here.

Now, if you talk nicely to a responsible, and your computer is still under warranty, you can get an exchange. Several of us had it here.

Notice that Samsung is shipping OLED panel again in 13-15inches, and they seem to be more robust now (in X1Extreme for instance), though i didnt do a deep study on the matter.

Options

12 Posts

12-12-2019

India

12 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 175 of 183

2021-06-27, 15:35 PM

I did not intend to be personal with anyone here so you can keep your wise sense with yourself. As regarding the machine, as a consumer its none of my business to know which component and related assembly is manufactured by whom. It’s the company who is responsible to ship defect free final product to its customers under the brand its operating around the globe and in case of any eventuality or unforeseen circumstances, it’s the company responsibility to make sure that at least the warranty replacement works well. Standard laptop warranty comes with 1 year from the date of purchase and the OLED screen life is not more than 9 months. I got my first OLED replacement done as part of warranty since company was not ready to replace the laptop because of ‘just screen’ issues and it again got the same issue post 6 months of service where now the second replacement costed me good money plus the time I wasted on getting it repaired again. Post 7 months of this replacement, the replaced (2nd replacement) OLED had the same flickering issues, for which the responsible Lenovo service center advised to get the screen replaced again (3rd time) with of course additional money with part replacement plus the service charges.

As a consumer of a high end laptop which was sold for USD 2000+ in year 2017, I am expecting the company to provide a working model which as a ‘Thinkpad’ brand had an impeccable record for the last many years when it was with IBM. May be next time, you can do your research well and check the correspondence history before throwing your wisdom around with anyone.

Options

7 Posts

01-02-2009

France

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 176 of 183

2021-06-27, 16:25 PM

Judging a brand based on buying 1 product is utterly stupid.

I have had IBM thinkpad and Lenovo Thinkpad. You get what you pay for. IBM thinkpad were far from default free, and I dont think things get worse.

It s the same people designing the thinkpad, same company manufacturing it. There were and are series with problems, the first of a kind for instance (first 2 X1 yoga, first OLED panel in computers, etc.)

All the more when it is new technology, and as early adopter, you should know the risk, and pay a bit extra for the longer warranty.

Again: saying: Lenovo is crap cause my computer had a problem, and HP is great because my new computer is good is utterly stupid.

Fact is, on this very screen, put in both a Lenovo and a HP machine in the same year, you have the exact same outcome:

panel not working properly, failing after X moths, etc. No global recall of these machines by either Lenovo or HP.

So: they are absolutely similar in this regard. 

I wish they both do a global recall, or propose an acceptable deal to replace the machine.

And last, for the last 2 years, yes, Samsung seems to manufacture better panel. Both for HP, Lenovo (and many others), and they seem to work as intended.

Again, HP, Lenovo, similar in that regard.

Options

18 Posts

03-02-2018

Canada

18 Signins

184 Page Views

• Views: 184
  • Message 177 of 183

2021-06-28, 14:19 PM

Hi Everyone,

Long time since I posted in this chat.....anyways I feel your pain about the OLED screen "Fiasco". I suffered through 3 screen (1 every 9 months) replacements before Lenovo gave up and offered me a new ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5. I "earned" that replacement unit! I was working and was severely disrupted from managing the 3 returns, while still having to find a way to work without my device....major pain that was beyond stressful.  

I wish that someone "high up" at Lenovo actually took a minute to consider that the OLED was a "lemon"; and just recalled the devices rather than put me and countless others through so much pain. Lenovo makes good business machines, and someone should have made a "business decision" and stopped the crazy train. I will bet that my cost to Lenovo (replacement screens, shipping costs, tech time, customer service time...etc...) was maybe 2x the price of a new unit. Don't get me started either on how much of my time and money I spent too! But no, Lenovo kept trying to "fix" the same problem over and over and over again.....What is that definition of insanity again???? 

We all know in this chat that this OLED was doomed....and Lenovo didn't handle it properly (otherwise we would not be here). Unfortunately for us all, we paid the price (in time and money). However, the Gen 5 I am using has been excellent (probably jinxed myself LOL); so Lenovo might have finally figured out that testing devices better avoids issues later. 

Options

3 Posts

06-11-2020

Australia

8 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 178 of 183

2021-06-28, 22:56 PM

The screen is not a consumable part that should need replacing periodically!

The laptop was purchased with an expensive and higher quality OLED screen option that purported to offer superior picture quality and faster refresh rates as opposed to an LCD screen on traditional models. The laptop was given rave reviews at that time and the Lenovo X1 laptops had a solid and reliable reputation. Unfortunately, the OLED screen has a major design defect that causes inherent failure with normal use in 9 to 22 months. Lenovo deny this, but my OLED screen has failed 3 times with exactly the same fault in less than 4 years. 

Many other consumers have reported the same repetitive failures of the OLED screen in this and the previous generation model in the Lenovo support online forums. Lenovo Japan admitted that the OLED panel has a fundamental issue. Lenovo stopped offering the OLED screen in the subsequent version of this high-end laptop model, presumably due the high failure rates. I understand this issue effects the Lenovo X1 Yoga OLED Gen 1 and 2, which have the same type of OLED panel sourced by Lenovo from Samsung. 

Lenovo knew or reasonably should have known of this inherent OLED screen design problem and could have offered a refund or replacement laptop to me with the first screen failure in 2019. They should have known the replacement OLED panel would not be of an acceptable quality (i.e., likely to fail again).  I pointed out evidence of this to them at the time but my requests for a refund or replacement were ignored. If they had replaced the laptop then, this would have saved me so much time and inconvenience with the 3 subsequent warranty claims. Certainly, with the second failure a year later I again pointed this out to them and requested refund or replacement. With the third failure I am sure that they knew of the problem beyond a reasonable doubt. The screen is not a consumable part that should need replacing periodically. 

Before I accepted the second screen replacement solution offered, I was reassured in correspondence from Lenovo Support that should my OLED screen fail again with the same issue within 1 year of the last screen replacement, that even though outside of the factory warranty period, the issue would be sorted. I only accepted the repair on this basis. The screen failed again after 9 months, and this undertaking has not been honoured. Lenovo appear to be denying all claims as soon as the product is outside of factory warranty period as it is much cheaper than admitting to a fundamental design problem. 

It is unfortunate for all consumers that Lenovo did not recall the laptops with this screen type to propose an exchange when the issue first became obvious. Lenovo have made a "business decision" on this knowing the OLED screen is not of acceptable quality and should be made to pay. Lenovo's conduct is unconscionable not only to me but to all consumers with this OLED screen type of laptop. 

Options

9 Posts

09-22-2016

Netherlands

21 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 179 of 183

2021-07-04, 4:01 AM

I too earned my replacement Gen5, after a frustrating 3-year battle with Lenovo Japan customer service. After 7 OLED panel replacements, they finally admitted the OLED issue was inherently unrepairable, and they offered me an LCD screen replacement. But they refused to guarantee that it would work in my X1 Yoga Gen1 for longer than 1 week, so I didn't take it.

I took the issue to Lenovo EMEA (the laptop was originally purchased in Germany), and after explaining how Lenovo Japan (my current region) botched their customer service, they offered me the Gen5 replacement.

Anyone who needs to see the proof, PM me and I can send you the email exchanges where the above 2 points are clearly stated. This is a design flaw, so even if you're out of warranty you might still be entitled to replacement depending on your region's customer protection regulations.

Options

3 Posts

06-11-2020

Australia

8 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 180 of 183

2021-07-05, 14:00 PM

After 7 OLED panel replacements  .... Doing the same thing 7 times and expecting a different result is madness ... The only way this makes sense is if it would cost Lenovo more to admit a fault and do a recall / refund / replacement. Lenovo's conduct is unconscionable to all consumers. Clearly they care about profit more than the damages they cause to customers with a temporary fix. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms