Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AtiX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,099
Message 1 of 125

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (2017) OLED screen flickering on low brightness

Hi,

I have the following issue since a couple of days (not sure it came with a recent windows/drivers upgrade):

When I set the screen brightness to low, or the screen dims itself in a dark environment, it starts to flicker - there are flashes of white/blue as long as the brightness is low. Increasing the brightness gets rid of the problem.

I tried disabling the panel self reflesh (PSR) which seemed to help others, but no success there.

Anybody got the same issue and a possible solution?

My specs: Windows 10 1709, Intel Graphics Drivers Version 21.20.16.4727

Video of the flickering:

fscr
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,949
Message 2 of 125

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (2017) OLED screen flickering on low brightness

Hi,

Thanks for the video and a video says everything.

I have exactly the same problem in your video, have you found a solution yet? It flickers like crazy at 0% brightness, raising brightness temporarily fixed it but these days it seems to progressively growing worse and starts to flicker at 10% and then 20% after a few hours of use.

Windows 10 1703, current on Intel graphics driver 4664, but I have tried Intel graphics drivers including 4590, 4639, 4727,and version 22.20.16.4836 which is on Lenovo download website but not pushed by Lenovo Companion, but no help at all. I reset Windows 10 to factory stock but it still happens (installed some updates through Lenovo Companion though,and manually installed Intel graphics driver 4664)

Also tried disabling panel self refresh in Intel configuration program, didn't look relevant neither. And adaptive brightness is off too.

I wonder is this some hardware faulty of the Panel itself or bugs of Intel graphics driver? (Or maybe power management?)

It's quite frustrating to have screen issues when this OLED screen is the greatest feature of the laptop. High brightness is blinding.

Hope we can get some Lenovo staff looking into this.

Ironicly, when I'm writing this post, Lenovo Companion pop-up a message, asking me if I'm satisfied with the display.

: (

AtiX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,867
Message 3 of 125

I will try to boot from a Linux Live-USB stick to check whether it is a windows-only (...so probably drivers related) or general hardware issue. Will update once I got results.

AtiX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,833
Message 4 of 125

Test Results: Using Ubuntu 17.10 and the command xrandr --output eDP-1 --brightness 0.5, I was able to dim the screen without flickering issues. Thus, it seems like an Windows-only (Intel Graphics(?)) drivers problem to me.

fscr
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,812
Message 5 of 125

Good to hear the results,  have you tried to set it to minimum brightness for a long time on Linux? Is it stable?

After some search I've found a similar case of 1st Gen X1 Yoga OLED, according to his video it should be the same problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/75b2xh/x1_yoga_oled_1st_gen_screen_flicker_at_low/

And here another guy also claimed that it didn't flicker on Linux, although I can't be sure if his X1 Yoga flickered in the same way just from his description.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/6czo3b/x1_yoga_2nd_gen_arrived_whats_wrong_with_my_oled/d...

Also, Dell's Alienware 13R3 and HP's Spectre X360 42xx model are equipped with the same OLED panel too (correct me if I'm wrong), but after some google I didn't find feedback/complaint from Dell and HP users. (Not many HPs, most are Dell buyers.) So just supposing it's non-Hardware and something Lenovo specific.

So, the drivers I've tried from Lenovo download site are:

Intel Graphics Driver

Intel OLED Panel Driver

ThinkPad Monitor File

don't know which one goes wrong. Or might be BIOS/Power management&saving utility/Windows 10/Thunderbolt3 related.

Kenneth_T
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,729
Message 6 of 125

I'm having the same problem as well, on my 1st gen X1 Yoga (model 20FQ). I'm running the latest drivers, and keep the rest of the OS and bios up to date as well. Disabling Panel Self-Refresh in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel didn't do anything for me either. The problem occurs both on battery power and while plugged in.

The problem has gotten worse over time as well for me. I have this laptop for over a year, and for half a year 0% brightness worked perfectly fine. I've been gradually increasing the brightness whenever the problem reoccurs, but it just seems to catch up every time. What are we to do when we're at 100% and the flicker persists; hook it up permanently to an external display or what?

Another thing I've noticed is that the problem gets worse when it has to display considerable amounts of black color. On the other hand, the flicker does not occur during the windows login screen (even though by all accounts it should, as my login screen's brightness is 0% and the background is mostly black). So yes, it could be that it is a software error and not hardware degeneration.

This problem is frustrating me immensely, especially since I shelled out a lot of money for this machine. It ruins the fun of an otherwise great laptop with an amazing display. I'm seriously hoping that Lenovo are working on a fix for this soon.

sp333
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,630
Message 7 of 125

Anyone resolve this issue? It's been ongoing for me. Anyone from lenovo here with an answer?

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 8,605
Message 8 of 125

You all have the same problem using this driver too?
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27355/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-?product=965...
I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5
AtiX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,579
Message 9 of 125

No, same problem with a different driver: I am using 21.20.16.4727, your link points to a driver Version 15.60.01.4877.

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 8,563
Message 10 of 125

Yes your driver is from October that one is from this month the 7th. The number is higher as it is a oem version number uninstall it and use the one on intels site to test the issue in windows.
I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors